Cherry Court Hotel
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfruit basketvictoria stationrooms are smallgreat locationbuckingham palacetop floorstay there againquiet streettriple roomworked finefamily roomsingle bedfour nightsno liftlondon eyeluggagetube
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I spent a week in London and loved the Cherry Court Hotel. First of all, I had to push back my travel plans because of a family emergency, and Mrs. Patel accomodated my change in dates as best she could, didn't try to charge me for the nights I missed, and she even called to make sure that I had found another place (not nearly as good) for the rest of my vacation. The price was great considering the quality of the service and the location of the hotel.
The room was small (No. 10 on the top floor), but it was clean, quiet and perfect for one person to sleep in and get ready at. The breakfast basket was great, a couple pieces of fruit, cookies, granola bar and juice. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful, they will hold your luggage if you arrive early or have a late flight on your checkout date. The hotel was also in a great location, located on a pretty safe residential looking street that was only a 2 minute walk from the Victoria station, so you can get anywhere in London and very convenient for flying into and out of Gatwick Airport. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AndWhereToNext
Reviewed 4 September 2013

A large majority of commentators have gave CCH favorable reviews at the time of my booking, and I can see why: excellent location, thrifty price, excellent location, pleasant and helpful owners, excellent location, and an alternative breakfast choice for those eschewing the large English breakfasts most places serve (instead providing fresh fruit baskets including OJ packets and a breakfast bar, placed in the room each day).

Did I say CCH has an excellent location? Its within a few blocks from the Victoria Railway station, the Victoria Underground, and the Victoria Coach (cross-country bus) station, not to mention a few more blocks from Buckingham Palace, the BP Mews, and the palace guard barracks. The hotel is located in the borough of Westminster where many of London's attractions are located. You are also less than 30 minutes including walking to places like Westminster, Parliament, Tower of London, Piccadilly Circus, & Oxford Circus when you use public transportation. Grab an Oyster card and you are ready to go. On the downside, Victoria Underground is undergoing an upgrade that won't be completed until sometime until 2019. It needs the upgrade -- for now there are no lifts/elevators to take you and your luggage up from the underground to street level -- its all stairs unless you come in on the Victoria line - then its partially stairs. This is not an issue if you have light luggage, are reasonably fit, or someone volunteers to help with luggage you may be struggling with.

As for price/value, the research I did placed CCH at the top of my list, sight unseen. My spouse and I got a double with daily fruit basket for lower than most places we checked. That price, I reasoned, would help balance out other expenses often found in England's expensive capital. We found the owners to be pleasant, accommodating, and anxious to please. They helped ported our luggage up and down the steep stairs as part of the service. (We checked in/out during normal daytime hours.) The room had adequate electrical outlets and wi-fi for casual usage.

Notwithstanding all these good things, if I ever came back, I would not want to try room 6 again unless I saw contrary reviews agreeing the problem has been cured. It was stuffy (windows painted shut), and had an oppressive feel of olde in the air. That is, coming from the ensuite bathroom to the bedroom one could instantly feel the difference of less fresh air. More pronounced was our morning start outdoors where during our time in London, rain and fog was never an issue -- the freshness of London air exuded the sensation of getting out of jail/gaol. Sorry, I really hated to say that, because I like the owners. They tried when I brought up the issue of dampness, by giving us a small, room dehumidifier but in an overnight run, it extracted less than half an inch in c. 3x3 inch container. I.E. humidity is not the problem or the dehumidifier was faulty.

Mattress & pillows were of foam rubber. Pillows were thin but firm. Mattress was reasonably firm. The room had all the physical appearances of being clean, notwithstanding my previous comments. Rooms are quiet.

CCH has rooms of various sizes, I saw a family with two small children entering a room with more than one bed, but did not glance long enough to evaluate its overall size. The capacity of our room could be a problem for those with lots of luggage. We brought in four suitcase and a large personal item (airline carry-on that is not a "carry-on"), that when lined up against the wall lengthwise, parallel to the bed, left an aisle of about 18 inches, or less than half a metre, meaning not all cases could be opened at once. The space at the foot of the bed was not wide enough to hold suitcases without blocking access to the ensuite. The other two sides of the bed were against walls. Very few shelves. If you know how to travel light, I don't think this will be an issue. Even then, it wasn't much of a problem for us ... after all we booked here to see London, not to lounge in the room.

In summary, I believe the many good reviews indicate the majority of the rooms are at least fresher in feel, and with the many positives. My star rating includes the room we were given and the pluses Cherry Court offers. But read other current reviews, keeping in mind the season the reviews represent to get an overall picture. It may be that the discomfort we had surfaces mainly during the Summer and Winter when humidity is at its worst, or it was a condition found for anyone arriving in Mid-August when six weeks of heavy heat had recently receded.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TacoTripper
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend got me a weekend in London for my 30th birthday and we decided to book at the Cherry Court Hotel, driven by the reviews on Tripadvisor. We made a great choice :)
Although the room ( we were in number 4) is very tiny, everything is clean and in order; the bathroom is new and no hint of dirt anywhere, very good price for being August.
Lovely fruit basket for the morning breakfast and for snack during the day, very quite street and great availability of Ms Patel who waited our arrival late in the evening.

We're planning other visis to London and we'll definitely come back here :)

Elisa and Luca

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank starfromwintersky
CherryCourtHotel, Owner at Cherry Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Hi there, and thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your birthday in London and the Cherry Court. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

This hotel was so cheap for London, and although it was a tiny room and shower room, we didn't go to London to hang about in a hotel room - it was just somewhere to sleep and get showered. The location is right next to Victoria train/underground and bus station. The room was very clean, and the staff kindly kept our luggage safe after we checked out in the morning til we came back for it about 5pm. It's a shame they have taken the prices down from the official website.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello, thank you for your kind review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My elderly mother and my family just got back from 11 nights in London at the Cherry Court Hotel. The rooms are clean and cheery. The rooms may seem small by American standards but nothing out of the ordinary for Europe. They were modest but had everything that we needed. We stayed in the family room for most of the trip. It is a room in the basement with 3 single beds and 1 double. There are windows that open to the back. Because the family room wasn't available for two of the days during our stay, we also stayed in two double rooms. Both rooms were very comfortable. The beds and pillows are incredibly comfortable and we slept great every night; in fact my boys (10 and 13 years old) asked us to buy pillows like they had there! Mr. and Mrs. Patel, the owners are the best hosts. They happily answered all of our questions, made sure we were comfortable and were available at all hours of the night and day. Instead of a big breakfast buffet, they offer a basket of fruit, juices, crackers, cookies, granola bars, etc. each day. It was perfect for us since we wanted to get out and sight see and enjoy the local restaurants. This was something we looked forward to. The hotel is located near Victoria station and in a picturesque mixed-use neighborhood of homes and small hotels. There are pubs nearby and a little shopping center. It is walking distance to Buckingham Palace, The Royal Mews, St. James Park, etc. We would highly recommend this hotel and next time we go to London we will stay at the Cherry Court.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room facing the street. The view of the quaint street is nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cairo95
CherryCourtHotel, Owner at Cherry Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Hello and thank you very much for your review. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. 11 nights is a long time to be away from home, so we hope you felt at home at Cherry Court. Thank you for recommending us and we hope you can stay with us again in the future!