“Short Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Short Stay”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very nice hotel, with great transport links. Lobby and Rooms were very nice without being over the top. Room facilities were everything you could ask for (even if the toilet being 10 yards from the bathroom is a little strange).

Did not stay for any food, however the menu looked great. Found drinks at the bar to be a little pricey (no doubt they justify this by comparing to other similar rated hotels in London) however with a Nisa 50 yards from the front door - you have an abundance of cheaper beveridges available if you so choose.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Graeme H,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We were thrilled to read your review and appreciate the feedback.

I hope you had the opportunity to join our Le Club loyalty program and collect points during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future and remain at your service in the meantime.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I'm a regular at Novotel Victoria Dock - the rooms are great and maintained to a very high quality. They've also recently refurbished their gym and sauna area and it is a great facility. Highly recommended. It's a little bit out of the way if you're working in Central London, but that is the only downside.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the us.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here with my mum as part of a Christmas present including a meal and show. The hotel is relatively easy to find. If using the DLR, the nearest stop is Custom House for ExCel. If you're coming from Kings Cross (as I was) the easiest way is getting the circle line to Tower Hill, walking to the DLR stop Tower Gateway, then getting the DLR towards Beckton, leaving at Custom House. You can see the hotel just before you get to the stop. When you get off, just head towards the front of the ExCel and the hotel is to your left- Pretty easy stuff! When we arrived, the hotel reception is contemporary but modern, bright and inviting. We went to reception where staff were very polite and helpful. They checked us in and explained there is a free gym. Although I did not use it, its a nice facility to have! We headed to our room. I booked through Lastminuite.com and requested a twin room, however we were given a double. Urgh! Back down to reception, we explain the problem and they changed the room straight away- Perfect! The room is basic and simple. The toilet and bathroom are separate, something which I don't like and find rather unhygienic, but apart from that there were no faults with the room. It was clean and quiet with comfortable beds. We went out in the evening and getting back was simple enough, the only problem would be that if you plan on getting back late, the DLR does stop around midnight which could act as a bit of a problem. We went to the hotel bar, which was nice but rather expensive- A Malibu and orange juice and a JD and coke cost £11.10, but I guess it is a hotel in London so this can be expected. We decided to sit outside on the balcony area which is very nice. This is a quiet part of London so there is hardly any noise, but it has as lovely view looking across the Thames towards the O2- Perfect for photo's! After a few drinks we decided to head to bed, when we got upstairs the corridors had a very strong smell of cigarettes, as a smoker I wasn't too bothered but I could understand that it would not be pleasant for a non- smoker (such as my mum). When we got to the room the smell had gone, but clearly either a customer or staff member had been smoking in the corridor. After a good nights sleep in comfortable bed, we got up and showered. I wasn't very impressed to find there was only one towel in a two bed room so I had to use the small hand towel- Not great but never mind! We went down to breakfast which is a buffet style. I booked it the day before at a cost of around £21 for two people! Although it was nice (and available from 6am-11am), it was definitely not worth £21! Staff were polite but did sometimes speak in their own language to each other (Polish I think) which I did find a little rude. Breakfast finished, we headed back up to the room. The lifts require the room key to be swiped in order to work, however just before checkout they didn't seem to work for some reason-- However reception were more than happy to help and just reissued the keys. After we checked out we asked if it would be possible to leave our bags in reception as we would be walking around all day, they were more than happy to take them and gave us bag tags so they could be identified later. All in all, the hotel was nice and we had a pleasant stay. It is a little bit away from the centre of London, but transport is easy and it's quite nice to be in a quieter part of London. The only bad thing I would say about the room is there is a lack of plugs near beds and mirrors. I like to plug my phone in near my bed but couldn't at this hotel which was very annoying! And lack of plugs near mirrors mean it would be hard to use straighteners/ hair driers- Although the hotel does provide a hair drier. However, I would recommend the hotel and would use it again :)

Room Tip: If possible request a view overlooking the O2!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt H
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for sharing your comprehensive feedback.

I am grateful for bringing everything to my attention, as we value every feedback which will helps us improving our services.
The hotel team were delighted to read that you rated many aspects of your stay so highly. It is always very pleasing to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock on another stay in London.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We booked here via lastminute.com's 'secret' hotel offer - although it was easy to discern this hotel using the information provided via Google.

In any case, the hotel was excellent. Our room was large, with a huge comfy bed, and best of all we weren't disturbed by other guests on the corridors. The room had great views over the Docklands and ExCel centre and it was easy to get into Central London via the DLR.

The area in itself has obviously been vastly regenerated - one evening we took the Emirates Air Line cable car back to the hotel. Walked back through the new developments and restaurants along Royal Victoria Dock.

Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am overwhelmed by your great review and I appreciate your feedback and 5* rating.

Your ratings about our rooms and service as well as the hotel in general are very much appreciated. Your kind comments have been shared with the hotel team.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you back, I remain with best regards

Bodmin
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Great location and good hotel. We stayed three nights. The room was fine and very comfortable. Breakfasts were great and it pays to pre pay for them. Found all staff cheerful and helpful. Had a minor problem one evening with key not working but receptionist sorted it out, apologised and handled it cheerfully and professionally. Easy access into city from adjoining DLR station. Will certainly use again

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.