“A bit tired but good value”

Novotel London ExCeL
Ranked #295 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“A bit tired but good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We booked in here for two nights while at an exhibition at the London Excel after having a mini-heart attack at the price quoted by the Crowne Plaza. We booked a suite and were pleasantly surprised. There were two main rooms, a bedroom and a living room/meeting room.

The bedroom was large and airy with a super-kingsize bed, clean sheets and extra pillows stowed in lockers in the room. The main bathroom led directly from the bedroom and was reasonably clean although not spotless. The bath was tiny and had a large crack in it meaning I wasn't brave enough to use it!
Tea/coffee making facilities are also in the room, as is a mini fridge.
The bedroom also has a separate toilet.

The main meeting room has a sofa which presumably converts into a bed, two armchairs, a meeting style table another mini fridge, a coffee pod machine and standard kettle.

The bar and restaurant are both excellent, with a good selection on the menu and a good wine list.

Plus sides:

Very close to Excel.
Excellent bar and restaurant.
Staff very helpful.

Down sides:

Rooms a touch shabby round the edges.
Under the flight path of the London City Airport so if you expect to have a nap during the day forget it!

Room Tip: Go for a suite - much nicer!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Helenhadley
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedbacks in regards to your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. We appreciated your nice comments in regards to very helpful staff but also in regards to the excellent restaurant and breakfast.

I was sorry to read the bath in your room had a large crack in it.Please stay assured that this has already been mentioned to our maintenance department and they are investigating this matter further.

We can only apologise for the fact that the planes from London City Airport were a disturbance during your stay.
We do hope this will not prevent you from coming back to our property and therefore that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I chose this hotel for a weekend stay as I needed to be in London for the weekend but wanted a quiet location away from the noise of the city. When I booked, there was a room sale on and I found a good rate for a suite which included breakfast. In the booking, I requested a high floor and, at check-in, was pleased to find I was on the top floor. The bedroom and bathroom were lovely, clean and in good condition. The sitting room was quite small and featureless but served it's purpose.
At night, I found that the TV in the bedroom was not working and decided to report that at reception the next morning. Unfortunately, as there were queues of people waiting to check-out, I did not report it. After a day out on the Sunday, I came back to the hotel just as the fire alarm was sounding so, once it was possible to re-enter the building, I decided I just wanted to get in my room and get warm so, in the end, I only reported the TV problem when I checked out on the Monday. I also informed him that the safety device preventing a window from being opened fully in my room was not attached which I considered dangerous. The receptionist said he would inform maintenance but I had thought he might have made some sort of gesture on behalf of the hotel to make up for the inconvenience.
Anyway, back to the otherwise very positive experience. On both mornings, there was an excellent buffet breakfast on offer. Seated by the windows, the view over the dock was very relaxing. The food quality for both hot and cold options was high and the staff on duty were friendly and attentive.
Some reviewers have said this hotel is too far out of central London. I disagree in that the public transport links into the city are frequent and fast. There is a Docklands Light Railway station about 5 minutes away and this connects with a fast modern Jubilee line service into town. Furthermore, just on the other side of the river from the hotel, easily reached by tube or cable car with spectacular views, is the O2 which hosts a wide selection of entertainment and eating places.
All in all, I'd like to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback in regards to your stay at Novotel London ExCeL.
We appreciated your nice comments in regards to the cleanliness of the room. I was also very pleased to read that you took advantage of our good rates and your requests were granted by our team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the TV. Should you stay with us again, please just call reception from your room and inform one of our receptionist and they will be more than happy to fix the problem or change the room.
Equally, please also accept our apologies for the fact that the safety device was not attached, as it should have been. I can reassure you that the safety of our guests is our priority and I have already forwarded your comment to our Housekeeping Manager to make sure that the safety devices are checked regularly by maids.

On a positive note, I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed the outdoor Terrace overlooking the water and breakfast in our Upper Deck Restaurant.

Please allow me to express my apologies for any lapse in service you experienced as it is not a true reflection of the service we pride ourselves on providing at Novotel London ExCeL.

I was happy to read that this experience did not deter from your overall satisfaction and hope to see you back to our property very soon.

Kind Regards,

Gretna, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed whilst attending a concert at the O2. Nice hotel but its was far too far out - I'd have much rather stayed in the middle of the city. Fair trek from the nearest train station. After finally finding the hotel, my boyfriend checked us in. Felt a little out of place - it had been booked as a surprise - and if I'd known it was going to be a posh hotel I wouldn't have brought my rucksack! Staff were a bit pretentious and looked at us as if we didn't belong as well which wasn't very welcoming. Room was spacious and suited its purpose. Didn't have breakfast or anything there as the prices were expensive.(There's a Tesco not too far away) Really convenient for the O2 arena however the only way to get there is over the river (horrible as I hate heights!) which only runs until a certain time so it's a long tube journey - probably not the only way but (as you can maybe tell) my boyfriend planned it. We were so exhausted with the walking to and from the hotel we really didn't get to see much of London which was a shame as it was my first time there. I've seen that this is meant to be a 4 star hotel - I work at a 4 star hotel and definitely don't think they are in any way alike. Overall a nice hotel, if this is your thing, and I can see the appeal however I won't stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. I was happy to read that you found our hotel good but was disappointed to see that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

For those reading this review, I would like to clarify the fact that our hotel is located in the East Part of London just few metres away from the DLR station Custom House or Royal Victoria. We are ideally situated next to the DLR station and few metres away from the cable car going over to the O2 Arena. It is true that the cable car operates until 8pm (9pm during summer months), however the tube journey from the O2 Arena doesn't take longer than 20 minutes.

I am very surprised to read your comments about our staff at the reception, as this is always being positively commented on. I can assure you that we will take the appropriate measure to address your concerns and prevent any re occurrence. We are training our staff daily on our service standards and behaviour and I will personally look into this matter.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. We do take every comment very seriously as they can help us improving our guest’s experience.

Dublin Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel while attending a conference at the ExCel arena.

Hotel is clean and comfortable with good staff. Ideal for a business meeting and an after conference pint.

Hotel itself fine, surrounding area has limited amenities restaurants, bars shops, etc

London City Airport is literally 5 mins away - just watch the cheeky cabbies that take you the long way around ;-)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your great review. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you found our hotel clean, comfortabe and ideal for a business meeting.

Hoping to see you back very soon, I remain at your service.

Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked via Booking .com on a secret hotel site. Although a little way out from the west end, DLR (Docklands light railway) was just around the corner and linking with the underground was easy.
The hotel was very clean and the staff excellent, couteous and very helpful. Breakfast was, although pricey very good and if you get a voucher offered by staff at reception, get a good discount.
The room was very comfortable, bed large enough for four and although the toilet and bathroom were separate were alright. We had a fridge with tea and coffee making facility.Everything was very clean and comfortable.All in all, the hotel was brilliant

Room Tip: Rooms with view, and good facilities
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear NapoleonSomerset,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.
We were proud to read that your experience was up to your expectations and that we offered you a good quality stay.

We are glad to read that you found our Reception staff professional and that you had the possibility to enjoy our breakfast at a discounted rate.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and we very much look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,