“Tiny bedroom but Restaurant a gem.”

Novotel London ExCeL
Ranked #299 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Devon
“Tiny bedroom but Restaurant a gem.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Not the first time we've stayed here but unless the Sleep quality improves I feel my last.
The rooms are very small with the bath/shower room right there as you get out of bed, with the toilet by the front door.
The shower is a strange set up here, not showering from above you, but at you and cubical small. The hotel does have its pluses providing sleep quality isn't one of them.
The Hotel is great for visiting Excel as only 200yards away. Parking is limited but the same price is paid in the multi story car park just down the road.
The best thing we found with this hotel was the restaurant. It's a Gem, the restaurant was lovely.
The staff were very attentive and helpful , the food we had was excellent.

Room Tip: Maybe another hotel with a better room layout and a comfortable mattress.
1 Thank ChristopherDDevon
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. I was happy to read that you found our hotel good but was disappointed to see that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

I was sorry to read you found the room to be too small but you can stay reassured that the rooms are of a reasonable size for a London Hotel.Nevertheless, I we are very grateful for your kind words with regards to our restaurant and friendly staff which I will share with our team with great pleasure.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and we very much look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hi
Whilst working at Excell this week I spent two evenings in The Upper Deck Bar at the Novotel. On the first evening myself and a colleague arrived tired and hungry, and Jilba the bar manager went to extraordinary lengths to not only make us feel very welcome, but to take extra care that our food order arrived promptly despite the kitchen having to cope with two huge table of 20 in the restaurant. As my review title says- first class! The following evening Jilda clearly remembered us, and remembered our drinks order. These are the things that make the difference between a hotel being 'somewhere to sleep' and being 'home from home'- man thanks Jilda!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for sharing your comprehensive feedback

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the hotel and I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I have shared your kind words with Jilda who is also very glad to know that her efforts have not gone unnoticed.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future and remain at your service in the meantime.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stay in the Novotel quite often and in the past have recommended it on here. My previous stays have been pretty much flawless. The rooms are always clean, spacious and the bathroom is lovely - bath & shower included. Small fridge and a safe in the room, comfortable bed, good complimentary wi-fi connection. The staff are usually pleasant and happy, especially Pablo (I think it is) that has checked me in a couple of times now.

Food is good, there is a good choice on the menu. Room service is fast and friendly, Sabina delivered my meal the other evening and was very pleasant.

My only complaint is from my stay last week, I was in room 634 an adjoining room which I didn't need but was too tired to go back down to Reception to room move. I was woken up at about 3am with a loud bang up in the room above me followed by really loud voices outside my door shouting and laughing. This went on for a while. The next morning housekeeping had perhaps left a window open while cleaning the room next to mine and all I could hear was a door blowing open and shut, banging, which woke me up very early. I mentioned the noise from the early hours of the morning to a man on reception who was just quick to pass me off with, "You should have called." Jotted down my room number and that was the end of that.

Overall, the hotel is usually as I said, flawless but a few things let it down this time for me.

Room Tip: Maybe avoid 634 if you're a light sleeper.
1 Thank lollylewly
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind comments in regards to our clean and spacious rooms and also our friendly reception staff. I will pass your comment on to Pablo with great pleasure.

Please accept our apologies for the issues encountered in the room. Should you stay with us in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact our team at any time. It is very important to us that all our guests feel comfortable and rested so they can start the next day being relaxed.

We do hope this will not prevent you from coming back to our property and therefore that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Room Tip: Maybe avoid 634 if you're a light sleeper.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week. The hotel is extremely clean and staff are friendly. The views from some of the rooms are amazing. The shower was absolutely fantastic, I would stay here again for the shower alone! It's located close to two DLR stations and extremely convenient if you are going to the O2/Excel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MArmDoh
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that our team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay

I am pleased to hear that your found the hotel clean, location suitable, service friendly and good value and made use of the D.L.R. (Docklands Light Railway) during your stay with us.

We certainly hope you will have the opportunity to return to London and stay with us again.

Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We booked in here for two nights while at an exhibition at the London Excel after having a mini-heart attack at the price quoted by the Crowne Plaza. We booked a suite and were pleasantly surprised. There were two main rooms, a bedroom and a living room/meeting room.

The bedroom was large and airy with a super-kingsize bed, clean sheets and extra pillows stowed in lockers in the room. The main bathroom led directly from the bedroom and was reasonably clean although not spotless. The bath was tiny and had a large crack in it meaning I wasn't brave enough to use it!
Tea/coffee making facilities are also in the room, as is a mini fridge.
The bedroom also has a separate toilet.

The main meeting room has a sofa which presumably converts into a bed, two armchairs, a meeting style table another mini fridge, a coffee pod machine and standard kettle.

The bar and restaurant are both excellent, with a good selection on the menu and a good wine list.

Plus sides:

Very close to Excel.
Excellent bar and restaurant.
Staff very helpful.

Down sides:

Rooms a touch shabby round the edges.
Under the flight path of the London City Airport so if you expect to have a nap during the day forget it!

Room Tip: Go for a suite - much nicer!
1 Thank Helenhadley
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedbacks in regards to your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. We appreciated your nice comments in regards to very helpful staff but also in regards to the excellent restaurant and breakfast.

I was sorry to read the bath in your room had a large crack in it.Please stay assured that this has already been mentioned to our maintenance department and they are investigating this matter further.

We can only apologise for the fact that the planes from London City Airport were a disturbance during your stay.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I chose this hotel for a weekend stay as I needed to be in London for the weekend but wanted a quiet location away from the noise of the city. When I booked, there was a room sale on and I found a good rate for a suite which included breakfast. In the booking, I requested a high floor and, at check-in, was pleased to find I was on the top floor. The bedroom and bathroom were lovely, clean and in good condition. The sitting room was quite small and featureless but served it's purpose.
At night, I found that the TV in the bedroom was not working and decided to report that at reception the next morning. Unfortunately, as there were queues of people waiting to check-out, I did not report it. After a day out on the Sunday, I came back to the hotel just as the fire alarm was sounding so, once it was possible to re-enter the building, I decided I just wanted to get in my room and get warm so, in the end, I only reported the TV problem when I checked out on the Monday. I also informed him that the safety device preventing a window from being opened fully in my room was not attached which I considered dangerous. The receptionist said he would inform maintenance but I had thought he might have made some sort of gesture on behalf of the hotel to make up for the inconvenience.
Anyway, back to the otherwise very positive experience. On both mornings, there was an excellent buffet breakfast on offer. Seated by the windows, the view over the dock was very relaxing. The food quality for both hot and cold options was high and the staff on duty were friendly and attentive.
Some reviewers have said this hotel is too far out of central London. I disagree in that the public transport links into the city are frequent and fast. There is a Docklands Light Railway station about 5 minutes away and this connects with a fast modern Jubilee line service into town. Furthermore, just on the other side of the river from the hotel, easily reached by tube or cable car with spectacular views, is the O2 which hosts a wide selection of entertainment and eating places.
All in all, I'd like to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback in regards to your stay at Novotel London ExCeL.
We appreciated your nice comments in regards to the cleanliness of the room. I was also very pleased to read that you took advantage of our good rates and your requests were granted by our team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the TV. Should you stay with us again, please just call reception from your room and inform one of our receptionist and they will be more than happy to fix the problem or change the room.
Equally, please also accept our apologies for the fact that the safety device was not attached, as it should have been. I can reassure you that the safety of our guests is our priority and I have already forwarded your comment to our Housekeeping Manager to make sure that the safety devices are checked regularly by maids.

On a positive note, I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed the outdoor Terrace overlooking the water and breakfast in our Upper Deck Restaurant.

Please allow me to express my apologies for any lapse in service you experienced as it is not a true reflection of the service we pride ourselves on providing at Novotel London ExCeL.

I was happy to read that this experience did not deter from your overall satisfaction and hope to see you back to our property very soon.

Kind Regards,