“Theatre break”

Novotel London ExCeL
Ranked #278 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from one night at this hotel. I booked to take my niece & her friend to see lion king with a 1 night stay through Superbreak.
The hotel is about 30 mins from centre but I loved the location. We had a large room for 4 of us. As we were back late on Saturday we ordered room service this was not a bad price & good standard. The cocktails though at £10 a go were a bit of a rip off!!
From the hotel you can walk to the Emirates cable cars & then get a river boat into London which was a brilliant experience for the children.
I will def stay here again when I come back to London.

Stayed: June 2014
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great comment and five star rating following your recent stay in our hotel.

Hoping to see you back very soon, I remain at your service.

There are newer reviews for Novotel London ExCeL

Reviewed 9 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here one night on business - the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, top marks to them. The room was identical to other Novotels, functional and clean, my room had an uninspiring view of some part of east London! The restaurant was ok with a fair selection of standard hotel food, the meal was served quickly. The hotel was very quiet both in terms of noise and the number of guests staying. The only down side was its location - it seemed out on a limb and away from the buzz of central London, which may be a good or bad thing, but the DLR is very close by and you can get a train to Bank in 20 minutes and all tube stations from there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Odessa47
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.
We appreciated your nice comments in regards to our friendly and helpful staff. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that our team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock on another stay in London.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have read the other reviews and feel I was in a different hotel! We had booked for 3 adults in our room taking my granddaughter as a treat after her A levels. Room had the spare bed and towels on the bed but only one other set in bathroom. Coffee and tea only for 2 people! After reporting this to reception give them their due towels and additional refreshments were put in the room but still only 2 cups! Again informed reception who assured me housekeeping would be informed. Never got the additional cup yet.

My biggest issue was breakfast. On the Friday it was just passable. What was on offer didn't resemble what was on the menu. It took ages to replenish the buffet but as I say passable. On the Saturday it was atrocious, we were shown to an overspill area where they had set up long tables of 12. I am sorry I don't want to spend breakfast with strangers. There was no pepper/salt or teaspoons on the tables. A waitress filled our cups with coffee and tea and then disappeared, were as the day before we got a pot each. It took 15 minutes to replenish the scrambled egg and as yet I haven't seen any fried eggs.

This is supposed to be 4* sorry nowhere near. When I approached the restaurant supervisor she told me " you have to understand we are very busy" sorry I don't pay to understand lack of customer service.

I have since sent a complaint to Novotel and as yet haven't received even confirmation of a receipt of my complaint!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank George D
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regards to our Breakfast service. We appreciate you took the time to contact us to highlight your experience in our breakfast.

An investigation was carried out with the team on duty during your stay with us, it come to my attention that our hotel was fully booked on the days of your visit to us and for this reason we allocate the area in front of the restaurant with long tables for bid groups or families as our guests usually all come at the same time for breakfast.

Our intention was to avoid families and children waiting for too long for a table or seat. I do apologise for your unsatisfactory experience at the Upper Deck restaurant. I am disappointed with the service the team had provided to you. An action is taking place to ensure this will not happen again in the future.

Regarding to ten fried eggs we do have available upon request, but definitely we has a lack of communication between our staff and your table when our team should mention about the requests for other types of eggs is upon request. The team member who you have approach had the wrong attitude and further actions and training is taking place to ensure our team members are always polite and understanding with our guests needs.

Once again I am really very sorry for the service that you received during your visit. I hope this will not stop you and your family to visit us in a near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Novotel in a nice family room. Just big enough for 2 adults and 2 children.
We opted for breakfast which was very nice and the service was very good and the people at the reception and the breakfast room were very nice and helpful.
The hotel is a bit far from the city centre but of course you get lower prices here than you would do at a city centre hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BHXTraveller55
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.

The hotel team were delighted to read that you rated many aspects of your stay so highly. It is always very pleasing to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests

Hoping to see you back very soon, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Usually find Novotels a pretty reasonable place to stay however not this one. Had to endure happy hardcore music being played all afternoon from an event at the Excel. Even when this finished the aftermath continued for hours. These rooms need sound proofing.
Bed really, really uncomfortable. Well actually don't think it's a real bed
Air conditioner/thermostat didn't work
Ordered room service which was pretty mediocre. Not worth the money
Would not recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Go some where with sound proofing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank minihifi
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.

I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not fully meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the service shortcomings highlighted in your review.

I have forwarded all your comments to the respectable department managers and I can ensure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address your concerns.

We do hope this will not prevent you from coming back to our property and therefore that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here for one night in May as we were attending a show at the O2. I took a long time choosing a hotel as Google maps/Expedia etc. suggest the ones at The Excel are all a few miles from the O2 as they go on distance by road. This hotel is perfect for the O2 as you can get the Emirates Airline (£4.40 each way but the view is amazing) or the DLR, both of which take about 10 minutes.

Upon arrival we were given a free upgrade to an executive room, having looked at the posters of what this included I'm pretty sure the only differences were a nespresso, dressing gown and access to movies so wouldn't pay for it but the fact that it was free was definitely a nice touch.

The room was large and spotless. Bed was a little soft for my personal preference and the bedding feels a bit cheap but I can't grumble as we had a great night's sleep and it was very quiet.

I would definitely use this hotel again if I was attending an event at the O2 as I think it's great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ileftmyheartinTokyo
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and appreciate your detailed description of your stay.

It was a great pleasure to read you found our property comfortable and that you enjoyed the beautiful location of our hotel in the Docklands area.
We are ideally situated next to the DLR station and few metres away from the cable car going over to the O2 Arena. It is true that our property is a good base to visit London, close to public transportation and in very nice surroundings.

I was thrilled to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you liked our new generations Executive rooms. I can assure you that our Executive rooms are totally different from our Queen Superior rooms, not only in complimentary movies and nespresso machine, but also in terms of design and layout of the room.

Once again, we are very grateful for your positive review in regards to your stay with us and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon.