“Great Hotel”

Novotel London ExCeL
Ranked #266 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Novotel London last week and I must say we were comfortable at all times and well looked after. The rooms are very well equipped with a lovely Bose iPod dock which we thoroughly enjoyed! The DLR lines were merely a 5-7 min walk to either the Custom House stop of Royal Victoria which made travelling to and from incredibly easy and stress free...

However, being in Hospitality myself I did find a few things rather frustrating:

1) Ordering breakfast in the morning or even lunch was at times difficult as not many of the staff understood English very well. The breakfast buffet was rather boring after the third day as there no change over the odd 6 days we spent at the hotel. Scrambled eggs day after day...

2) Once laundry has been given in, the laundry bag and list isn't replaced should you wish to send more in the following day. There were strict times that one had to hand laundry in, in order to receive it the same day. Once we requested a new laundry bag and list, it took nearly an hour for us to receive it with a couple of phone calls down to either reception or the restaurant.

3) There was a lovely Nespresso machine in our room - pity it didn't work, at all!

4) Reception would at times be very difficult to get hold of, and this would then require one to physically go to reception to be assisted, which I felt was not on par!

5) A three pound charge was added to our bill for every time we ordered room service - I found this a tad bit absurd as it's a mere 2 mins to our room from anywhere in the hotel.

Other than these five points we had a very relaxing and comfortable stay! Big thank you to GM Michael who introduced himself to us during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CobusBester
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was thrilled to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you liked our new generations Executive rooms.
Please accept my apologies for the fact that you was not able to use Nespresso machine. I hope that you reported it to the reception, and they provided you with an alternative solution, as all coffee machines should be in good working condition.

On a positive note, I was very glad to read that our General Manager had the pleasure to welcome you personally in our hotel and we hope you will have the opportunity to return to London and stay with us again.

Madgalena Fratczak
Novotel London ExCel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,363)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Myself and my wife are on our last night at this hotel. Just sitting in the comfortable bar watching a match.. It's very comfortable , quiet and business like. The food is nice. The staff are very attentive.
The rooms as made up late in afternoon , but I am sure you can ask for this earlier should you wish. The breakfast is nice , lots to choose from , nice area to breakfast in and attentive staff.
Rooms cosy. Slept great. It was my birthday surprise from wifey and I enjoyed it. Reception obliged with allowing us to print off plane boarding cards earlier , no problem. Enjoyed our stay and would recommend. Ps , the area generally is expensive and to be expected , just be aware.
I am just about to order a steak shortly ! Will update if anything negative to report ! Grub good so far though ... Stayed at room 217 , nice and quiet -

Room Tip: Quiet room 217 overlooks the front
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.

The hotel team were delighted to read that you rated many aspects of your stay so highly. It is always very pleasing to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests

We look forward to welcoming you again to our property.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you are a business traveller, or in the area for work or an event at the ExCeL centre, this is a great hotel. Nice atmosphere, staff are mostly friendly, and the room is nice equipped with everything needed for a business traveller, stuff like iron etc. Best of all, it's got free wifi everywhere. And it's got a sofa bed ready to go incase a friend or colleague wants to crash in your room for the night. The view from the ground floor is amazing, its by the Thames river, and has a nice marina for a walk or jog (if that's you).

The food is pricey (of course it's London), the standard room rates are super high (we got a great deal).

There are some great restaurants nearby, convenient stores, bars and even a place called Bollywood grill (didn't check it out).

The DLR station is nearby, it's called the "Custom House", and if you want to take the cable car tour across Thames, it's also walking distance from the hotel.

All in all, it's a great place, even better if your office was paying for you to stay there :)

Room Tip: Look out for deals, book BnB, and eat out!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.

Thank you very much for staying with us and appreciate your detailed description of your stay.

It was very satisfying to read you would return to our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

We look forward to welcoming you again to our property.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels
6  Thank Joannek K
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

They charge 5* prices for a 3/4* hotel. Not worth the money spent. Very clean & the staff were ok. We only had breakfast here as we were out most of the time. Staff need to engage with customers more to make them feel welcome. Food was ok, nothing to shout about. Hotel was very big & clean though.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank LouBellz
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and I am very disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I am very surprised to read your comments about our staff, as this is always being positively commented on. I can assure you that we will take the appropriate measure to address your concerns and prevent any re occurrence. We are training our staff daily on our service standards and behaviour and I will personally look into this matter.

I can assure you that we will take your words on board and I have already passed the message to the relevant department in order to review the situation and take immediate action.

We do hope this will not prevent you from coming back to our property and therefore that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I got a chance to stay at Novatel Excel London on a business trip last week. Inspite of multiple emails on booking dates, hotel didn't book my room for correct dates. Finally I had it done after sending a strong email to their manager. I can't describe how dirty the room was. Carpet was filthy, washbasin wasn't draining water properly. Towel had a hole in it. Bed was too hard. Restaurant was serving tasteless food. Lots of problem with vegetarian colleagues as restaurant didn't have proper menu.
Location was nice as it was very close to DLR. Please avoid staying in it.

5  Thank Sam16Jan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. I was happy to read that you found our hotel good but was disappointed to see that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

I am disappointed to read about the problems you had during your stay and I would like to apologize for these inconveniences. I do hope that you reported this issues to our reception and they offered you an alternative solution.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly on h3656@accor.com and discuss the issues highlighted in your review further.

I remail at your service.

Novotel Lonodon ExCel