“OK and nothing more” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“OK and nothing more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My travel agent booked this hotel for a business trip because it was close to the airport.

This hotel shares a building with the ibis hotel, and you can tell they're related. It's ok. Things look cheap. The design of the building was compromised by the least expensive form of construction. The rooms are small. Of course, I was told, "this is London," and maybe that's true.

One thing it had that was unique and that was a sign in the bathroom saying, "bathmats are available at the front desk." (In fact, there was a bathmat.)

The restaurant is pleasant enough and they try very hard.

The front desk damaged the chip in my AMEX card and were apologetic. But it was three days before it could be replaced.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.
I was glad to read that you enjoyed our restaurant I will be glad to pass your comments to our team.
To respond to your note about our rooms, these are approximately 24 square meters, which is very common for a Four star hotel across London.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenice caused regarding your Amex card. I can reassure you that this was an isolated case,andI will be investigating this matter to prevent such issues from future occurences.

I still hope that in light of this information, you still might consider our hotel for a future stay.

Guest Relations Manger
Novotel London ExCel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We booked the hotel but they neglected to tell us that they had a major refurb going on on the 7th floor. We had booked and paid for an Executive room. We had struggled across London after finding that the DLR was closed for maintenance and had to get a bus. We were looking forward to chilling in our room but the noise was unbearable. We asked to be moved, but they had double booked us in the next room and someone beat us to it. The third time we were out in a basic room which was not what we paid for, and we were not offered a refund or an apology. If we had been told when booking (or even after) we would have chosen another hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michelle H
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.
We appreciate all feedback and my apologies that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I will investigate with my team your comments with in mind to improve our service to all our guests.

I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again once the refurbishement has finished, and it will be our pleasure to ensure that your will have a great stay at our property for your next trip to London.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Novotel was very easy to find as it's right next to the ExCel centre. You have the choice of 2 DLR stations, parking (although quite expensive) and the Air-Line cable car to get there.

The check-in was easy and very quick. The reception area is quite large and very nicely laid out. We had an executive room on the 9th floor which had a great view across London. The room seemed to be newly refurbished and very clean and modern. There was a desk with good connectivity ports for gadgets and laptops. The free WiFi was good as well.

The shower was odd at first as you could see from the shower through the glass window into the bedroom, however there was a button that turned the glass wall opaque so you can't see through it. I loved this, it was a nice touch.

Unfortunately we had some pretty severe storms on the day of our stay and it caused a leak from the roof into our bathroom. I notified reception and they responded straight away by moving us into a similar room on the 8th floor - so double the free biscuits :).

I'd recommend staying here. The travel across London isn't direct most of the time as your restricted to the DLR and Emirates Air-Line, (excluding buses and taxis) but they're quick and the Jubilee is close at both Canning Town and North Greenwich (The O2). I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and get an Executive room on the dock-side. It would give a view of the dock and O2. We had th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm glad you had a good visit to London and appreciated our location and thank you very much for your kind review about the efficient check in and friendly staff.

It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kind regards,

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Travelled mid-July with 2 kids. Though far (expensive..) to get to and from Heathrow it was well worth the travel distance. Really smooth and easy to get from hotel to all over London by DLR (Royal Victoria Station) and underground. Get your Oyster card and tube map and you're sorted. Hotel really clean, polite and helpful staff, breakfast excellent! No doubt coming back to stay. For us, standard of hotel Wonder over location!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback relating to your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that your experience in our hotel was an amazing one and you enjoyed the warm hospitality from our team here.

I look forward to welcoming you back again at Novotel London ExCel.

Buøy, Rogaland, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Novotel London Excel has a nice location for the O2 Arena. Its located in a nice, quiet aerea outside central London, so you will not get any noise from traffic and so on. Even though it's located by an city airport there is not mutch to hear from this eather. Tip for travellers going to the O2: Use the Emirates Royal Docs' cableway cross the river. You get a nice view, it's cheap (according to norwegian salleries) and its much quicker than a cab.
The Novotel London Excel is a hotel with good standard, and the beds are comfortable. The rooms are fited with minibar, free wifi, and coffee or tea. The rooms san be a bit warm during the summer. The minibar on my room wirked poorly, and chilld almost nothing. The hose in the bathtub shower had a hole in it, and I got water all over my pants wile trying to just wash my hair.
Summed up, minus these small faults the rooms are great.

The staff are not special helpful to us "weekend travellers" I guess you will have to have a nice suit and tie to get good help from the receptionists. That beeing said, there was one guy in the front desk that was very kind, helpful and wold answer evry question. We simpely asked for directions to the nearest underground, and the man in the desk just gave us a city map, sait out the door, to the right..... and did not even try to make us understand the directions. My perception of the staff is that buisness-guest get the priority of services.

All summed up, a very nice hotel, but the staff should be mor helpful an open to the common man.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor following your stay in our hotel, although we are always very appreciative of getting our customers feedback I was disappointed to hear that your experience didn't meet your expectations.
I would like to reassure you that I will forward your comment to our Front Office Manager in order to make sure that all staff provide the same level of service to our guests. Please accept my apologies if that wasn't the case on this occassion.

On a positive note we are delighted that you found our location to be suitable for your needs.

I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again and it will be our pleasure to ensure that your will have a great stay at Novotel London ExCel for your next trip to London.

Guets Relations Manager
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great location - very close to Stratford for shopping and the olympic park, and from there central London isn't too far. Very close to the DLR and subsequently so easy to fall off the train and into the doors of the hotel. Staff were attentive and for the price the room was modern, spacious and had everything we could need. We requested twin beds which were by far the comfiest I've slept in for awhile. There was some outside noise as we were visiting on the night of a large Comic Con however it wasn't so loud it disturbed our sleep.
A nice feature is the toilet is separate from the bath and shower room - this means if you're staying with friends or family the morning routine is certainly easier!

Didn't eat in the restaurant on this occasion but did previously this year and the food was good, incredibly yummy puddings!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel and it is particularly rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback. It will be a pleasure for me to share your comments with the entire team.

With kind regards,