“The Best Burger in the World: if you do not agree, I'll pay for it!!!”
Review of Portobello Gold

Portobello Gold
Ranked #105 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Falls Church, Virginia
“The Best Burger in the World: if you do not agree, I'll pay for it!!!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

when I am unsure of the restaurant, I usually get a burger but whoaaaaaaaa! I was in for the experience of a lifetime, there is that certain smell that I enjoy, cooked well & the ambiance was fabulous.

Room Tip: once it gets busy, it is a challenge to get seat but once you started ordering and getting your food...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank u6ytng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ightham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is not a hotel but a pub with rooms. The staff were cheerful and helpful but the room was more like a cupboard with a bed in it. I could feel the springs coming through the mattress. The bathroom arrangement is terrible, the sink is in the shower, there are holes in the tiles and is very tired and outdated like the rest of the room. I didn't stay for breakfast as I just wanted to get out and never come back! Shame as it was supposed to be my birthday treat.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank MrsJPL
essex
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My friends and I stopped here for a quick coffee and cake whilst shopping in the markets. We had to wait 20 minutes before our orders were taken another 15 minutes before the drinks were brought to the table and another 15 minutes before 3 cheesecake slices appeared!!

My friend had initially asked if the advertised cream tea's were on offer, and told that they didn't have any, however when our bill came we had been charged for it!! The "manager" was rude, loud and arrogant, declaring that as it was Saturday and they were extremely busy he couldn't see our problem!! However not all the tables were full and there was limited staff... he seemed a little bit above himself....
There are many lovely places to eat, drink and people watch on the Portobello Road, so don't bother with this one if you want good service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank breadsauce
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

we arrived at the gold after a busy day in london and it was exactly what we needed! the staff are great, friendly,welcoming and a good laugh. The real ale is great and the steak was exceptional. we were expecting a tiny room after reading the website but it was perfect and had everything we needed for a couple of nights stay, very clean and a comfy bed. the area around the pub was great but after visiting a couple of pubs nearby, we much preferred the atmosphere of the gold. We also thought it was great value. For any future visits to london this is definately the place that we'll stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed in the 4 poster room which was quirky and completely in character with the area. Loved it!
The bar is a "proper" bar with loads of character and characters. The food was good in the evening and I particularly liked breakfast which was a do it yourself affair with a really rustic feel.

Room Tip: Choose the 4 Poster room if it is available
Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
London, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I went back tonight to see if the service was not as bad as i thought. It was worse! I arrived at 8.50pm and had to wait until 9.03pm for service. When I asked for oysters at the same time as my drink, I was told the kitchen was closed. I declined the drink but was abused by the barman for not accepting the drink. i only ordered the drink to compliment my oysters. Please, please do not go to this bar. They have a very slick advert, but obviously hate their customers if they do not order to their convenience. By the way, I believe most pubs are cheaper.
Hateful experience TWICE!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jay m
Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands
Reviewed 9 July 2013

It was great to see a bar that still kept to its routes with great characters and always a laugh. The staff were always willing to help and atmosphere was great. The rooms were great prices, cosy and recommended for a couple. we stayed for two nights and met some charming and cheerful characters who were never too shy to introduce themselves. We will definitely come back for a visit next time we are there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends