“Overpriced Wardrobe!”
Review of Portobello Gold

Portobello Gold
Ranked #110 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 October 2006

I recently stayed in this hotel and was appalled at the size of the room. I have stayed in many hotels in London and elsewhere in the UK and have never come across such an excuse for a hotel room. As one reviewer mentioned there was room for an open suitcase on the floor and nothing else. The bathroom was so small that the shower water falls on the toilet and a glass door from the shower to the room gives absolutely no privacy. The noise of the air-conditioning unit directly outside our window kept us awake for most of the night. The person we dealt with in the bar was unfriendly to the point of rudeness. One final point there were no fire notices in the room and no sign of a fire exit even though we were 2 stories up and over a pub. There are far better hotels to be had in this area.

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank josephz

Reviewed 11 July 2006

We enjoyed our stay at the portobello gold. The staff was friendly and made excellent coffee in the morning. For a continental breakfast it was pretty good, the atrium was a great place to linger over breakfast.
It was located in a nice and safe neighborhood close to the tube station. We enjoyed the bar at night, they even stayed open a bit later to accomodate us.
The rooms were definately small, but reading the other reviews that was expected. No A/C, which wouldnt be bad if we had normal London weather but we were there in the middle of a heat wave so sleeping in was not an option bc of the heat. OUr last night there was a Friday and it was a bit loud outside and hard to get to sleep.
I would recommend this hotel to younger travelers who appreciate good coffee and beer and do not mind trading a tighter space for a cheaper price in London.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank uflerindee
Reviewed 13 June 2006

This is a great place place to stay in London -- as long as you understand what you're getting. This is not a hotel -- it's a pub that also happens to have rental rooms upstairs. So if you want a "standard" hotel with a front desk, cookie cutter rooms, dedicated hotel staff, etc. -- this isn't that kind of place. But if you like unique places with local color, this could be a good place for you.

One the pro side, this is an "only in Britain" type of place. It's on Portobello road (home of the famous Portobello antiques street market) in the Notting Hill neighborhood. The neighborhood is *fantastic* -- lots of great little shops, wonderful restaurants / bars / pubs, newstands, etc. There aren't any hotels nearby, so you're surrounded by locals, not by other tourists. It was great to be able to come back to the room in the evening, freshen up, and then head out knowing you had dozens of great places to eat and hang out within a few minutes walk.

The Gold is right in between two Tube stops -- it's a 10-12 min walk to either station -- and of the two stops, the Notting Hill Tube stop connects to both the Circle and Central lines, so it's super convenient to get into the core of London and the main tourist sites. You're also only a couple of Tube stops (or a 5 pound cab ride) from Paddington train station, which is convenient if you're arriving in Heathrow and you take the Heathrow express into Paddington.

The pub itself serves food too, if you want to eat in house. I ate there twice -- first time the food was mediocre, the 2nd time the food was great, so I think it depends on what you order (they have huge menu). It was also nice to be able to get a drink at the bar and take it upstairs to your room, if you didn't want to hang out in the smoky / noisy pub. Note that the Gold doesn't serve breakfast, but there are multiple breakfast places (both sitdown and takeout) in the neighborhood.

The rooms are very small, but they weren't any smaller than the budget hotel rooms I've stayed in elsewhere in Europe, Britain or New York City. Rooms were clean and had a TV (with cable -- movies etc), phone, insuite bathroom, hairdryer. The wireless internet in the room is very convenient if you bring your computer -- we used it all the time, the signal was strong and reliable. You can also use their two computers down in the pub for free -- but in the evening when the pub is crowded, it's kind of a hassle. Still, it's better than having to go out and find a cyber cafe every time you want to check your email.

You *cannot* beat their price for a London bathroom-insuite room -- we paid 65 pounds for a double. I spent literally 5+ hours online looking for budget hotel rooms in London, and the next cheapest rooms I found were 10-15 pounds more expensive for a typical budget room in cheap hotels in Earls Court or near Victoria Station (ie, the budget tourist ghettos).

There are two big tradeoffs. One is that the rooms don't have air conditioning, so if the weather's warm, the rooms can get darn hot even with the window wide open. I did see a tabletop fan on my last day there (too late for my stay, but having a fan could make a big difference).

The other tradeoff is the noise. You are right above a pub, and esp in the warmer months, people are hanging around outside drinking and talking. The noise level varies, but you can get some noise until around midnight - 1 am, so if you're sensitive to sound, earplugs might help. The noise kind of bothered me some nights, but not on others, so YMMV.

I would definitely stay here again, but probably not in the summer months, because of 1) the heat (rooms could get really hot and stuffy), and 2) the noise from summer outdoor revelers. In the cooler months, this is probably now my top choice of where to stay in London. You really can't beat the price or the neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank hibachi
Reviewed 25 May 2006

My wife and I stayed there this May and had room 4. The only good reviews of this hotel seem to be from people who stayed in the Penthouse on the roof. Our room was very small to say the least. Also, on our last day, the lights went out in our room and there was no one to call.

I agree completely with the review that said the employee care more about the bar then the hotel. We did not feel like guests at all, only an inconvience. We asked to use the "free" internet to guests on Saturday and told it was closed on Saturdays. Then we tried on Sunday and apparently they only have one free password for one guest at a time, so my wife and I had to take turns.

The hotel notices says you can check out starting at 800am and when we tried to, the manager was not in. We had to wait around till 830 till the manager decided to come to work.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank c6211410
A TripAdvisor Member
San Juan Bautista, California
Reviewed 6 October 2005

We had a great stay at the Portobello Gold. It is an off beat but friendly place. We had the apartment with wounderful rooftop terrace, it was abit tight for 3 adults and 3 kids but a great value at £170- a night. Mellisa and Michael and the rest of the staff were are very kind and helpful. This is not the Holiday Inn, it has real character a great refection of the neighborhood. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2005

This was the last place we stayed on our trip to Europe, so maybe at this point we were spoiled. The penthouse room sounds lovely, but that isn't where we stayed. Our room was TEENY. There was barely enough room to put our suitcases flat and the bed went from wall to wall. I like being able to relax for a hour after walking all day, and before going to dinner(after walking 8 hours it became a neccessity), but I found I didn't really want to spend any time there. In the end, when you're on a budget, in the UK you can't ask for more. The staff was very nice and the breakfast was great. One more thing...I got a call from my credit card company when we got back to Canada and the hotel had tried to charge my credit card 3 times after I had already paid in full! Fortunately there was no more money left for them to take :). I called the hotel and they fixed the problem right away

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank Snannabelle
Reviewed 29 September 2005

This little bed and breakfast, above a bar/restaurant/internet café on the Portobello Road, is my kind of place. If "funky" isn't you, book someplace else.

The Portobello Gold has a wonderful location and, in London, is available for a fair price. The staff is friendly and helpful.

It's funky. Part of our group was in the suite - which featured both a fabulous roof-top terrace overlooking the neighborhood and a poorly designed hose-rig in the bathtub for taking a shower. They enjoyed the terrace in the evening, but they took their showers in our small, simple, and somewhat spare room.

There is free wireless internet access throughout the facility - it worked flawlessly for me.

Breakfast - toast and cereal, coffee or tea - was delicious but wouldn't suit someone that needed bacon and eggs.

• Stayed: September 2005