“Great location, good hotel”

Crowne Plaza London The City
Ranked #181 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in an ideal location only a few minutes walk to Blackfriars station and tube, and right next to the Thames. Being in the square mile means it gets pretty quiet at the weekends but it's not far from the west end by tube. Rooms are a little tiny but that's fairly normal for London. Didn't eat or drink there but the reception staff were pleasant. Overall you could probably do a little better but not much! I'll happily return to the CP London City.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear PG350,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor!

Please do not hesitate to contact me, should I be of any further assistance for any future bookings with us.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,593)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times and it never disappoints.

On arrival we were upgraded to a club room, which gave free access to the club lounge. The lounge is great, but was pretty busy when we were there and full of wannabe members of the cast of TOWIE!

Great location, directly across from Blackfriars train and tube station.

The rooms are very well maintained and contain all the amenities you would expect.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Queneth_Veneth

Dear Queneth_Veneth,

Thank you very much for your message on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that overall your stay with us was an enjoyable one.
One of the benefits of Platinum & Ambassador members within the IHG Rewards Program is the access to Club Lounge (based on availability). Also guests with bookings specific room categories have Club Lounge included in the rate.
We do our utmost to balance he numbers and to extend the benefit as much as we can, as a result on some rare occasions our Club Lounge can be busy.
I hope this will not refrain you from returning to our hotel, and I will be truly delighted to welcome you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This hotel is conveniently located just across the street from the tube station, and about 20 minutes walk from Covent Garden. The rooms are comfortable.
However, there was a big disadvantage: I stayed on a Saturday night, and there was a party at the bar of the hotel just below my room (I was on the 2nd floor). I could hear the music very loudly, even after 1am. I called the reception twice to complain, they said they would ask to lower the music volume, but nothing happened.
They have some claims about sleep quality in their hotel, with pillow sprays etc, but if you can't have silence, then all this does not matter!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AdvisorJames

Dear AdvisorJames,
Thank you very much for your message on Trip Advisor.
I am sorry to read that during your stay you had experienced some noise from one of our Christmas party. Noise is not a common issue at this property, It may happened on some occasions, and in particular with the Christmas parties.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back sometime soon.
Please contact me directly if you require any assistance with reservations and details of your visit.

Marli.sadzinski@ihg.com

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The location is very ideal for business and pleasure both. The rooms are spacious and nice. Staff is friendly and helpful. I have stayed at this property few times and its been nice. The restaurant food was great as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Aq8,
I am thrilled you wrote about our excellent location which made your stay with us a memorable one!
On behalf of the team and myself, I look forward to welcome you again!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The location of this hotel is great for business travelers or those wanting to be in the city center. While not my favorite part of town it is right across the street from the tube/train stop, so you have access to anywhere you want to go in the city. I especially liked the run station and running route maps they provided. Fun touch for those who like to see the city by foot. All in all the hotel was clean, nice, efficient and the hotel staff was always friendly. I found everything to be a bit bland when it came to decor, my needs were met but nothing was above and beyond. There is a little grocery store and a couple restaurants nearby which is also nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear EarthOcean,
Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback on TripAdvisor and I do hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed in Crowne Plaza during my husband's business trip in November 2013. In my opinion, the reception is understaffed as we always had to wait quite some time before being served. Check in took about half an hour even though there was only 1 person ahead of us in the queue. I'm not sure if this is a 5 star hotel but most 4 star hotels in London will have someone open the door and help us with the luggage into the hotel. However, here, the staff merely looked on while my husband and I struggled with our luggages through the door after a 14 hour flight. We also had to bring our bags to the room after check in.
The upside to this hotel is its convenient location to Blackfriar tube station. It also provides complimentary bottled water daily.
However, wifi is chargeable--a factor I find exasperating in a hotel geared towards business travellers. Housekeeping also takes time to clean the rooms and on several occasions, upon returning to the room, it was not cleaned yet and we had to call to have it cleaned. The towels we wanted changed were also left in the bathtub on 2 occasions. Also, I'm not sure if they have a heater but if it does, it did not really work and we were usually all wrapped in the room since it was quite cold.
In all, a hotel with average service but a good location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear BeckyBenett,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that our location was suitable for your needs. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the inconvenience the service you received may have casued. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Spent an excellent weekend at this hotel.Food to die for,location close to St Puals cathedral and tube station, (Blackfriars) Upgrade to a club room,beds comfy plenty of space to move about.Breakfast well worh the money.You must dine at the Italian restaurant.Staff very pro active.Youare made to feel very special.

Room Tip: Club room special floor