“Not very happy”

Crowne Plaza London The City
Ranked #170 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Visited the hotel with girlfriend & 4y old son.
Had to request a room change at 1 AM because of the beats coming from the club downstairs.
We were on the 7th floor, but our room window was located next to the indoor atrium and every time the door was opened in the club, it was like a boomcar was driving next to our room.
We received another room, which was much better.

Do announce this on your website.

I called the reception in the morning, asking about the breakfast. If we had to pay for our son, as he never eats much. They said it would be 14£ and something per person and the kid was free.
At check out we had to pay 22,5£ per person, because we did not request a voucher at the reception? Would have been nice if this would have been explained to us when checking in.
Now we paid way too much for a breakfast that wasn't really worth it.

Location was good, but feeling a bit tricked for the breakfast part.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ErikCleppe
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear ErikCleppe,

This review must have taken a great deal of time and consideration for which we are very grateful as it is these small details that make all the difference to a memorable stay. The detailed comments have been shared with all the managers concerned, and we thank you for your kind comments of the noise levels and breakfast charges.

I sincerely apologise for the noise disturbances you experience during the night. It is so important that we are mindful of our guests at all times, particularly at night when our guests expect to be able to relax and enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep. I can advise that usually all such actions are restricted and we are reviewing this issue and look at a plan whereby the noise infiltration can be reduced moving forward.

Our breakfast vouchers are offered at reduced priced when purchased upon check in, and I am sorry to learn that the levels of service where below your exceptions.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please contact me directly for reservations or any assistance.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza London The City

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Positives: Beautiful room, located right across from the Tube, great breakfast (at a price).
Negatives: Poor customer service. I emailed in advance to advise the hotel that my husband and I were travelling to London for the first time to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. I did not even receive an email acknowledgement that my message was received. When we got to the hotel, there was nothing special to congratulate us on our special occasion (not even a note). In fact, I confirmed that they did receive my email and front desk still didn't acknowledge it by even just by a simple greeting. We stayed in numerous less expensive hotels & BB's throughout Europe and each one of them provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine/Prosecco &/or special note. Those other hotels even accommodated our wishes for room upgrades, better floor, and view. Although this is not mandatory, it's these added touches that truly makes your stay more enjoyable. I would expect that this kind of attention to detail is standard from a hotel like Crowne Plaza. What was even more surprising was the fact that you had to pay for wifi!!! Wifi is virtually free everywhere in Europe. During our trip the bed and breakfasts and moderately ranked places we stayed at, wifi was free every single time. You would think for the price we paid at this hotel, that wifi would be included!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JensF18

Dear JensF18,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed review. We were all so very sorry to learn of the disappointment and difficulties you experienced.

Our aim is to reply to any request within 24 hours, so I am concerned to learn on this occasion we fail to do so. I am investigating the case personally, and would greatly appreciate if you contact me directly in order to have more details of the email address used.

Please be assured that it was certainly never our intention to offer anything other than a warm welcome to Crowne Plaza London - The City and to ensure that all your accommodation and preparation for such a special visit was above your expectations.

I would be truly delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel is superbly located within steps of StPauls,great food and a convenient to the tube.staff was attentive and the breakfast for a hotel was excellent.Room was ready upon checking which was appreciated after a trans Atlantic overbite flight.If you depart early for Heathrow it is only a 30min taxi.Highly recommend

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear B S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Home from home with everything I needed; kettle, microwave, tv, fridge, fabulous power shower with all the toiletries needed for an overnight stay. Welcoming concierge and friendly helpful staff. I always look forward to staying in this hotel chain.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

dear MisJoules,

Thank you very much for your fantastic 5 stars review of our Hotel.

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you in person in one of your future visits.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Popped in here and ask for a cup of tea to take away at which point they attempted to charge me £5 50---- for a lukewarm cup of tea in a paper cup! Needless to say i shan't be returning here i would be too scared to stay in case they charged me £10,000 for an extra blanket for the bed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank stefano1450
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear stefano1450,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza London - The City. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We cannot fault this hotel as we think it is one if the best in London, we have stayed here twice and will be returning again in 8 weeks time as this is now out first choice hotel in London,

The only downside is the service and the food as both times we have had a terrible experience with the bar and room service

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank p h

Dear p h,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on our hotel. I am very pleased that you felt able to award us a 5/5 rating like so many of our other guests.

I am looking forward to welcome you back. I am positive the small glitches experiences with our Food & Beverage outlets will be fully resolved.

For any assistance do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here recently as a friend was celebrating a birthday in a nearby hostelry. It's just the perfect place in terms of location,service and comfort. I joined the Crowne Plaza Club a few years ago but never realyy made use of it, We were upgraded to club rooms where there are free drinks and canapes between 6-8 and beer and wine for a further 2 hours if u fancy it. Breakfast is also included . Couldn't fault any part of the stay .. staff were excellent as was the room and the location ! Right opposite Blackfriars Tube Station with easy links to the whole of London. You then have the benefit of a beautiful walk along the Thames along the Embankment or cross to the South Bank for similar. Wonderful ! Cost to join the scheme is about 180 GBP but there are eating vouchers included plus upgrades .. its well worth it if you plan to stay in town on a regular basis. Even on a stand alone its perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonLockwood

Dear LondonLockwood,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on our hotel. I am delighted that we were able to make the birthday celebration weekend so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards,