“Welcoming, comfortable, and relaxing”

Crowne Plaza London The City
Ranked #171 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Stirling, Scotland
“Welcoming, comfortable, and relaxing”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We chose this hotel for a short break in London, and we were really impressed by so many aspects of our stay. Arriving at Blackfriars Station, the hotel is easy to find - on the opposite side of the street. And whilst the building which houses the hotel might have been constructed in 1916, there's a contemporary and stylish feel to the interior, with a striking atrium, and a choice of restaurants. Reception and concierge services were excellent, our room was well equipped, the buffet breakfast service was well managed, and the rate for our reservation was very competitive. We would certainly choose this hotel again, and would happily recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Strathallan
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Strathallan,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I don't often write reviews but having stayed two nights I felt I wanted to comment on a wonderful experience.
The room was certainly very comfortable and there were quality toilet products in the bathroom and the usual bathrobes one would expect. Complimentary bottled water and refreshments too.
The King size bed was the piece de riesistance. I have never slept in such a comfortable bed, I had two wonderful nights sleep. A very quiet room, despite being in central London.
I used the gym which had all the cardio trainers and weights you would expect. I had the facilities all to myself too.
Breakfast was very good and the staff went that extra mile to make you feel wanted and special.
The price of the stay was moderately expensive but these days you get what you pay for.
The location for my conference was perfect and Blackfriars tube station was just across the road.
Would I stay again? Yes most certainly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not look directly onto New Bridge Street if you are looking for peace and q...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Gavin A,

Kind regards,

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

One of the best hotels I've stayed in for a while.
Rooms were all wonderful, staff went out of there way to ensure I was happy.
Close to Blackfriars underground. Perfect to get anywhere in London. The one hotel I will be coming back to.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Miltonjohns
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Miltonjohns

Thank you for completing a fantastic review for your stay with us this week. We were pleased to see that you liked all aspects of this stay and that the staff made every effort to ensure a great stay.

We hope to welcome you and your friends back again soon.

Brussels
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Visited the hotel with girlfriend & 4y old son.
Had to request a room change at 1 AM because of the beats coming from the club downstairs.
We were on the 7th floor, but our room window was located next to the indoor atrium and every time the door was opened in the club, it was like a boomcar was driving next to our room.
We received another room, which was much better.

Do announce this on your website.

I called the reception in the morning, asking about the breakfast. If we had to pay for our son, as he never eats much. They said it would be 14£ and something per person and the kid was free.
At check out we had to pay 22,5£ per person, because we did not request a voucher at the reception? Would have been nice if this would have been explained to us when checking in.
Now we paid way too much for a breakfast that wasn't really worth it.

Location was good, but feeling a bit tricked for the breakfast part.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ErikCleppe
Dear ErikCleppe,

This review must have taken a great deal of time and consideration for which we are very grateful as it is these small details that make all the difference to a memorable stay. The detailed comments have been shared with all the managers concerned, and we thank you for your kind comments of the noise levels and breakfast charges.

I sincerely apologise for the noise disturbances you experience during the night. It is so important that we are mindful of our guests at all times, particularly at night when our guests expect to be able to relax and enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep. I can advise that usually all such actions are restricted and we are reviewing this issue and look at a plan whereby the noise infiltration can be reduced moving forward.

Our breakfast vouchers are offered at reduced priced when purchased upon check in, and I am sorry to learn that the levels of service where below your exceptions.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please contact me directly for reservations or any assistance.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Positives: Beautiful room, located right across from the Tube, great breakfast (at a price).
Negatives: Poor customer service. I emailed in advance to advise the hotel that my husband and I were travelling to London for the first time to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. I did not even receive an email acknowledgement that my message was received. When we got to the hotel, there was nothing special to congratulate us on our special occasion (not even a note). In fact, I confirmed that they did receive my email and front desk still didn't acknowledge it by even just by a simple greeting. We stayed in numerous less expensive hotels & BB's throughout Europe and each one of them provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine/Prosecco &/or special note. Those other hotels even accommodated our wishes for room upgrades, better floor, and view. Although this is not mandatory, it's these added touches that truly makes your stay more enjoyable. I would expect that this kind of attention to detail is standard from a hotel like Crowne Plaza. What was even more surprising was the fact that you had to pay for wifi!!! Wifi is virtually free everywhere in Europe. During our trip the bed and breakfasts and moderately ranked places we stayed at, wifi was free every single time. You would think for the price we paid at this hotel, that wifi would be included!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JensF18
Dear JensF18,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed review. We were all so very sorry to learn of the disappointment and difficulties you experienced.

Our aim is to reply to any request within 24 hours, so I am concerned to learn on this occasion we fail to do so. I am investigating the case personally, and would greatly appreciate if you contact me directly in order to have more details of the email address used.

Please be assured that it was certainly never our intention to offer anything other than a warm welcome to Crowne Plaza London - The City and to ensure that all your accommodation and preparation for such a special visit was above your expectations.

I would be truly delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel is superbly located within steps of StPauls,great food and a convenient to the tube.staff was attentive and the breakfast for a hotel was excellent.Room was ready upon checking which was appreciated after a trans Atlantic overbite flight.If you depart early for Heathrow it is only a 30min taxi.Highly recommend

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear B S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Huddersfield
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Home from home with everything I needed; kettle, microwave, tv, fridge, fabulous power shower with all the toiletries needed for an overnight stay. Welcoming concierge and friendly helpful staff. I always look forward to staying in this hotel chain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
dear MisJoules,

Thank you very much for your fantastic 5 stars review of our Hotel.

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you in person in one of your future visits.