“special commendation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #185 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Atlanta, Georgia
“special commendation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I was a guest at your hotel and checked out this morning (2 April 2014). I left my passport, wallet and watch in my room safe when I check out and only discovered my error when I arrived at Heathrow.

I called your hotel and spoke to one of your staff: Harriet Mabusa (I may be miss-spelling her name). She was absolutely fantastic in the service that she provided to me. Despite my anxiety, she remained calm and took care of getting the items to me safely and speedily so that I still made my flight to Mexico. She deserves a special commendation for her outstanding service. It is because of her, that I will always use your hotel whenever I stay in London.

Thank you, Harriet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Dhesan
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Dhesan,

Thank you very much for sharing also in Trip Advisor the service received from my colleague Harriet.

Our team members work effortlessly to resolve any issues, so I am very proud to read that we once again did it, and as result you did not miss you flight.

Hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

It's not the most attractive from the outside but once inside, I do like the fact you can hide in one of the high rise chairs in the lobby bar and hold a discreet meeting with a colleague or friend over a drink and a snack. Sadly, there don't seem quite enough staff to keep the service moving as it should which can lead to frustrations. The cellar bar has been refurbished and I personally really like the 'cabins' which sit under the street, complete with faux furs and funky lighting.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank liberaceLondon
Dear liberaceLondon,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review following your visit to Crowne Plaza London - The City.

I was delighted to read your description of our bars. for the benefit of TA readers I would like to clarify that Voltaire Bar (the one with the vaults) is not closed for refurbishment.

Refurbishment works are taking place in City Lounge, to be concluded around Easter. works at reception area have now been completed.

Your comments about service have been passed on to relevant managers, so once again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve our service.

I hope to welcome you back sometime soon, for updates on new projects (bar & restaurants) visit our website, exciting spaces to be open in the next months within out hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza London - The City for three nights during our spring break trip to London. We booked the 2 Double Beds Deluxe room and were not upgraded since there are no club rooms with 2 double beds.

The reception was being renovated and the staff were friendly and efficient. As a IHG Platinum member, I was given the option of points or a welcome drink/snack. (I originally chose the welcome drink, however, I did not have time to use it. At check out, the receptionist offered to give me the points instead.)

After checking in, I went to my room and to my surprise it was already occupied by someone else! I quickly called the front desk and they apologized and assigned us a different room. They sent someone else up with the new room key. I understand that mistakes occasionally happen, and this hotel definitely handled the situation well! Without asking, chocolates were sent to my room the next day and the hotel manager personally apologized to me when I was checking out.

Even though the hotel does not have to offer free wifi to IHG Rewards members in Europe until July, this hotel has already made the benefit available.

The Crowne Plaza is conveniently located across from Blackfriars station. Using the Underground you can get to many of London's best attractions as well as Heathrow airport. There are many shops, cafes, and restaurants nearby. St. Paul's Cathedral and Millennium Bridge are walking distance. Tourists can also walk along the Thames to Tower Bridge and Tower of London.

The rooms were spacious, modern, and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable and we slept well.

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel and we would definitely return the next time we are in London!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeffrey L
Dear Jeffrey L,

Thank you very much for your fantastic 5 stars review following your visit to Crowne Plaza London - The City.

I am truly delighted you enjoy your stay with us and the benefits offered for our valued IHG Rewards Members.

I hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

do check before staying here that there isnt a function going on. As a priority member, the receptionist upgraded us to a 7th floor Atrium room. I do so wish she hadnt ,as the party on the ground floor didn't end till 3am and might as well have been in the room with us. At midnight I did request a move but the hotel was full. By 1am we were contemplating moving hotels!

Room Tip: Avoid the Atrium rooms on a Saturday night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mac56Hants
Dear mac56Hants,

Thank you for your message following your visit to our hotel.

I am sorry to read that during your visit you had experience noise from our bar. The levels of noise are being monitored closely by our security team to ensure a nice night sleep to all our guests.

Your response has been discussed with the management team. As a result stricter noise control measures have been put in place.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to be at your service again in the future. You are welcome to contact me directly for rates and bookings.

Kindest Regards,

Haemeenlinna, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Crowne Plaza The City Hotel for three nights during our weekend city break in London. We chose the hotel cause it´s location seemed good on map and wanted to stay in one of Crowne Plaza hotels to collect some IHG points this time. Very good choice, I say. I´m sure you´ll find more unique hotels from London, but if you want to play safe, this is a really good option. I would definitely stay here again next time visiting London!

LOCATION: Absolutely best thing about the location of this Crowne Plaza Hotel is to have subway station (Blackfriars) opposite the hotel just on the other side of the road. From Heathrow airport, you´ll get here easily by subway, only one quick train change on the way. City as a neighborhood is mainly full of office buildings and business people. There are many cafes, restaurants and grocery stores, but most of them close quite early on weekdays and stay closed during weekend. If you walk about 10 minutes from the hotel to St. Paul´s Cathedral, opening hours for shops, cafes and restaurants are little wider there. For snacks and drinks there is a smallish Tesco Express just next to the hotel. It´s open from early morning to late night (if I remember correct for 6am to midnight) and has good selection of all kinds of groceries.

HOTEL: Modern, pretty new and extremely clean city hotel. Huge, cozy lobby, consigliere, two restaurants, bar, snack cafe, room service, everything what big hotel has to offer. Breakfast is served in one of the restaurants on ground floor and it´s definitely worth having. They don´t only offer typical English type of breakfast choices like eggs, beans, hash brown and bacon but also variety of breads, vegetables, smoked salmon, different cheeses, fruits, berries, yoghurts and muesli.

ROOM: We had book the regular Guest Room, but got upgraded to Executive Club Room at check in. As the whole hotel, our room was modern, fresh and spotless. Room was pretty large with writing desk and couch area. Comfortable bed and proper amount of storage space. Only downside was that minibar is only for minibar´s own drinks and snacks, so it´s not possible to store your own drinks etc. in it. Relaxing pillow scent and quality toiletries were nice touch.

SERVICE: Polite and effective service at front desk. Friendly welcome at breakfast and quick service there too. If some of the foods ran off, those were quickly replaced.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Merimaria
Dear Merimaria,

Thank you very much for your fantastic message on Trip Advisor, we greatly appreciate the time taken to share with TA reader your experience in Crowne Plaza London - The City.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon.

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Very poor service as there is no service. Hotel does not have its own car park .. which is not convenient at all. Rooms have nothing special. Food is average. and the worst is the attitude of the staff. Self sufficient and no customer oriented. High rates for very low features. If you can avoid such place... do it... even if you are a loyal member. There is no recognition !

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear evasion777,

As a loyal IHG Rewards member your room has been upgraded to one of our Club Rooms, with Club Lounge access. The design of our rooms are similar, and I am sorry to learn does not meet your approval.

Our hotel offers valet service to park the card in the NCP car parking, within walking distance from the hotel, a common practice in central London hotels.

Once again, I would like to apologise for on this occasion not being able to deliver the level of service you expect from our brand. Different team members, including myself offered met you during your visit and offered assistance, but nothing was accepted or met your approval.

I would be delighted if you reconsider your decision, and return to our hotel in the future. For any assistance, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Reception staff superb.
Room spacious and decor very pleasant. Shame about the stale cigarette odour.
Shower due to shocking water pressure was poor. I do not expect this from a Crown Plaza hotel.
Breakfast service slow, had to wait at buffet for far too long for full selection of hot food with poor customer service staff didnt notice lack of food. Expect better for price paid. When finally food available it was fine.
Location 5 mins walk to St Pauls, 20-30 mins to theatre land!

Stay was a Saturday night and music from basement was in full swing til late. Didnt bother us but would bother some.

For the price paid would choose somewhere with a better shower.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C P
Dear C P,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing.
I am very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Senior Guest Relations