“Soundproofing between floors?!”
Review of The Belgrave

The Belgrave
Ranked #180 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel midweek on a business trip. The Belgrave is beautiful and in a great location as it is very close to the tube, decent restaurants and in a nice part of town. I stayed in an executive room which was comfortable and well appointed, the bed was lovely and the room was spotless.
I just can't give more than three stars due to the fact there appears to be absolutely no soundproofing between the ground and first floor. The rooms have laminate floors and whilst I'm sure my upstairs neightbour was not a stompy giant this is exactly what it sounded like every time they moved in their room.... thump, thump, thump coming through my ceiling. I heard every note and warble of the music they were playing. I tried using the shooting earplugs that live in my holdall and whilst they deadened the thumping the high notes of the music filtered through. After midnight I gave in and asked the night porter to have a word, he did, the music stopped and my earplugs kept the thumping at bay.
I would stay at The Belgrave again as it has much to recommend it but I'd stay on the top floor and glide around my room in my socks for the sake of my downstairs neighbours. Laminate floors might be easy to matintain and have a modern look but that night I understood why so many luxury hotels use deep pile carpets!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor due to overhead noise.
2  Thank Hoogle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Firstly I want to thank all of the staff for being so welcoming, helpful and friendly.

My other half asked me to marry him whilst we were staying at The Belgrave and the hotel were happy for him to bring some bits up for them to decorate the room to make it that extra bit special.

As soon as I walked into the hotel, my first thought was 'stunning'.

I cannot even put into words how perfect it is, but I will certainly be recommending it to everyone and we will definitely be returning one day.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here with my wife and had a fantastic time. Excellent, clean, friendly hotel with lovely food and perfect location. The whole experience of the hotel was just amazing will recommend to my family & friends hope to visit you guys again when visiting London next can't wait!!

Thanks Damien & Kimberley Harris

Room Tip: Stayed in room 103 lovely room with large bed and 2 person shower :). Make sure you visit the thai r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel is very well decorated, the staff are friendly and helpful. Only one downside, we were in a standard room which was beautifully decorated but the bed was on the small side for two. I would stay here again but would upgrade to a larger room. Great breakfast and the bar prices were reasonable.

Room Tip: For a sinle person the standard room would be fine, upgrade for a couple.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I dont have a great track record of staying in London hotels on business. I'll happily spend a bit more for nice hotels when going on breaks, but for work I just want something well located, reasonably priced and meeting a basic standard. However in my experience it is very easy to pay quite a lot of money for a horrible room in the capital

The Belgrave (note: do not confuse with the Belgrave House Hotel, which is further up the street and not of the same standard) is a pleasant surprise. Courteous reception staff; well presented exterior, reception and rooms. The room I had was very clean and well equipped (excellent shower, comfortable bed, modern TV), and Westminster was very easy to reach by tube and by taxi. My room wasnt huge, but I understand that others were bigger and I was content with what I had in any case.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to be in the area for one or to nights on business or pleasure, and would definitely use it again. The room I had would probably not suit heavy use, but as a base and place to chill out and freshen up was absolutely fine

1  Thank RockyJohnnyB
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed here on business and could not fault the location, cleanliness or comfort of the bed. However my room was small, which was fine but the bathroom was tiny, the sink was recessed in so I couldnt wash my face without getting my feet wet, there was nowhere even to put my sponge bag and when sitting on the toilet it was so cramped that I couldnt get any toilet paper without knocking it on the ground! On arrival I requested an iron and ironing board which the polite receptionist assured me would be sent straight up. Nearly 15 minutes later it arrived, the iron was poor and left marks on my shirt and when I asked the chambermaid if I should just leave outside my door she requested I take it to reception! I was on the 2nd floor! Needless to say when I left the room I did not return the board as my hands were full but I did tell the receptionist that it was outside my room. When I returned from my evening out it was still there and when I left in the morning it was still there possibly constituting a fire hazard. At no point did anyone offer me breakfast but to be honest nearl £15 for breakfast is a joke even in London. Perhaps if I was staying as a leisure trip with my wife we would have had a larger room and more attention from staff but as a business traveller I must say I would not stay here again despite a good quiet nights sleep.

Room Tip: my room at the back of the hotel was very quiet and no noise at all from other rooms
1  Thank JonPearson
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Lovely hotel, nice quiet area and right next to Pimlico tube station, reception area very pretty - pleasant staff, extremely clean and lovely decor. Will book again next time we are in London. Good nights sleep due to the black out curtains!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple