“Not very impressed!”

Ranked #206 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Hampshire
“Not very impressed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary weekend and I chose The Belgrave because of the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. On arrival at the hotel we were impressed by the foyer and had high hopes which were dashed when we were shown to our room or 'half a room'. It was tiny - the reviews which say about Harry Potter rooms were right!

My husband is 6' 2" so we called down to reception to see if a bigger room was available to be told rudely that all the room sizes are the same (not true) and that the room size was usual for London (also not true). We have stayed in many hotels in London and have never had such a small room before, it was laughable.

The bathroom was ridiculous you couldn't even get to the sink to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth. I couldn't use the hairdryer properly as the wire didn't stretch from the wall socket to the only mirror. There is no wardrobe only limited hanging space and no mini bar.

To make matters worse we were the only people at breakfast on Sunday morning, there were no waiting staff we had to find someone to take our order and my eggs benedict were dreadful - hard boiled eggs instead on poached - just nasty and not good enough for a 4* hotel.

Location wise although near to the tube it is a long walk into Westminister. I will pay more for a hotel in a better location in future and save money on taxis!

Thankfully the weather was fab so we didn't spend much time at the hotel. I am well travelled and write lots of reviews on TA, I think I am generally level headed about what to expect when I book somewhere. I do my research and I'm not often disappointed. Being a PA I need to be able to trust my judgement when booking places to stay, I guess I will just have to put this one down to experience. Shame our anniversary was spoilt though!

Room Tip: Try not to get a Harry Potter room - they are minute!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We chose The Belgrave for a two nights stay at the beginning of August. We are very pleased with our stay at this hotel. This hotel lived up to it's reputation. The location is excellent with many things within walking distance. The staff were friendly, welcoming and very helpful. Our room was a bit small with comfortable beds and great bathroom. Very good continental breakfast! Free Wifi, a small refrigerator, a smart TV. Would definitely stay again.

2 Thank Valerie W
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Spent just one night here while visiting London to see Billy Elliott at Victoria Palace Theatre, we booked standard double which was really nice, clean and modern. Lovely welcome and free Wi-Fi. Only downside was bathroom quite tiny.
Also nice tip ...... had a meal at The Albert pub, very nice, staff lovely and helpful, nice meal, well worth taking a look.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of hotel, lovely and peaceful.
1 Thank julie r
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Belgrave, room was newly renovated and modern. Location is great, quiet street, but still close to everything, including the metro, which was super easy to use. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enza C
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I'm a bit suspicious of small independents to begin with, but The Belgrave had good reviews and has been recently remodeled, so we decided to try it out. It was really quite acceptable, with a pinch of bad service. The good things: great location, recently remodeled, clean, nice shower. The bad: we had tiniest room on the in-between floor - felt like Harry Potter, living on floor 1.5 (getting the bags up and down was truly a pain!). Getting dinged an extra charge for checking out an hour late was just plain rude. I have never stayed at a hotel that checks out at 11am, but maybe I didn't notice because I certainly have never been charged for an extra hour (thought those were different kind of hotels...). Even with that, we will be glad to visit again.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank KelseyTM
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great positioning for touring London by foot or by public transport. We found a couple of nice pubs close by with good food. This hotel is right inbetween Pimlico tube station and Victoria Station. Lovely hotel but I have to say our room was a little tight for space,but had everthing we needed in it. Staff very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our short stay and would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Maybe request one of their larger rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I traveled to London for the first time last month, and the first place we stayed was The Belgrave. This hotel is within walking distance to the Westminster area and close to the Underground for anywhere else you would like to go. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The Lobby and the room were always very clean and inviting.

Pros:
- Close to Underground and Westminster.
- Friendly, helpful staff.
- Clean lobby and room.
- A buffet breakfast is available for about 8.5 pounds. The hours weren't always what we needed though.
- Wi-Fi was always strong in the room.
- Provided a strong hairdryer.
- The bed is very comfortable and the rain shower is amazing!
- Everything looks brand new.

Cons:
- The person checking us in put a hold on 202 pounds from one of our accounts instead of the intended amount of 20. This was not fixed until we checked out, which means this was on hold in our account for an entire week and this left us uncomfortable.
- We only ate a buffet breakfast once, but were charged twice. The person checking us out was very helpful and fixed this, but this was another uncomfortable money moment.
- There's no refrigerator. This is a bummer because it is impossible to get a cold drink in London.
- The room is small, but that's compared to American hotels. The size was perfectly fine for what we needed it for, so this isn't really a complaint.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable stay and we would happily book a room here again when visiting London.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberly W