“An excellent alternative to the corporates and chains!”
Review of The Zetter Hotel

The Zetter Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed for one night at the Zetter Townhouse on business, and what an exceptional place to stay. As I wandered up to the hotel from a busy day on a very hot London evening, the area was buzzing with people drinking outside the bars, eating and wandering around - feels like a village. Then the Townhouse set back from the road on the cobbles, a compelling building with a beautiful facade. Inside is small, cosy, eclectic and welcoming. Sofas and comfie chairs are in order, with people chattering in a relaxing environment. The bedroom is lovely, different, a bit quirky in that very trendy way with everything you need. Room service was quick and good, breakfasts were lovely - informal seating, high quality continental with excellent service.

Room Tip: I loved being at the front of the building with views across the square. It was still quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for such a delightful read- you have truly captured the essence of the Townhouse and I am pleased that all aspects of your stay met your expectations. I do hope that we can welcome you back next time that you are in the area, both for business or leisure.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room was beautiful (we had an the Townhouse apartment) but the servcie wasn't that great and it was very expensive. Also, as the cocktail bar is on the ground floor, whilst they did manage to get tables for us when we wanted a drink, you do feel a bit as those you are imposing and are given time-limits on the table as it is already reserved for a party later. We had also thought we would get a deal on breakfast as had booked on their website but there was a lot of confusion when we asked about it and were eventually told that should have booked when booking (which hadn't been clear). So, good location but for the money something was missing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Laura, Thank you for your review and while I am pleased that you found the Townhouse Apartment to your liking, I am disappointed to read you found the service let us down. I have taken your comments into consideration and am currently discussing with the team how we can improve our communication with guests prior to arrival regarding their booking of both the cocktail lounge and breakfast. I hope that this will improve your rating to a 5 next time you choose to stay with us!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Zetter is the consummate boutique hotel. Quiet, discreet, and beautifully designed, it spares no small detail. The best-priced rooms are not large but who wants to stay in when you're in such a great area. Clerkenwell is peppered with great little restaurants and bars, starting no further than in the hotel itself, and in the square right next to it. Perfectly located, it was easy to walk everywhere from the hotel, and the staff arranged for a car service to take us to the airport upon departure. I also loved the Ren products in the bathrooms!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your stay at The Zetter. We agree with you that Clerkenwell is an excellent location, both in terms of the ease of getting around London, and the restaurants, bars and attractions it has to offer. I am pleased to hear that our team ensured you were looked after all the way to the airport and we hope you will visit us again soon and continue to explore the sights and sounds of London.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I chose the Zetter for a recent 8 day stay in London for purely practical reasons: it seemed well located for my business and personal meetings; surrounded by restaurants and cafés; walking distance to transport links; plentiful cabs at the front door and it’s slightly out of the mainstream so it’s also quieter. I wasn't disappointed on any count.
And when I arrived there was more that made it even better. My room, while London small, seemed to be well designed so as not to feel cramped (even when filled with all my shopping!). I was particularly impressed with the bathroom design: it has to be the one of the most stylish and efficient hotel bathrooms conceived in a small space.
Luxury in-room touches also helped – crisp fresh bed linen, hot water bottle, books, extra blanket, enough towels and bathrobes. Perfect. Thank-you also for providing the teeny tiny fridge to store my food purchases in.
The adjacent Townhouse is a great addition to the facilities: a truly eccentric British cocktail lounge and perfect for relaxing at the end of the day with friends, while the bar attached to the Bistro in the main hotel is a good venue for business meetings. Surrounding the hotel are any number of great eating and drinking options plus Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury for anything else you may need all within easy walking distance.
Staff are efficient, helpful and friendly. Thanks in particular to Marc for your assistance on check-out – your no nonsense resolution was much appreciated
The Zetter really worked for me and I’ll be sure to be back.

Room Tip: If you are on an extended stay ask for a side or rear facing room. Its likely to be quieter than fac...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lucy u
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

What a lovely review! I am delighted that our location worked well for both your professional and personal requirements, and that you appreciated the in-room touches that we hope provide that little something extra. It is great that you got to enjoy the lounge at the Zetter Townhouse and our Atrium bar also, and that the teams looked after you throughout your stay. To hear when a particular team member has made a lasting impression is always refreshing and I shall ensure that Marc is recognised for this.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spent some time at the Zetter Townhouse this April for our wedding. We hired the private dining room in The Townhouse for lunch, and stayed there overnight as well.

Initially I would say the people taking room bookings over the phone are a little bit frosty and unhelpful if you have a specific room requested. The Zetter will not commit to any specific room requests - even for the bride and groom - which is a real shame. It nearly put me off staying there. In the end, we did not get the room we had requested (the room with the golden mosaic tiled bath), but instead got upgraded to a larger room with a free bottle of Champagne. This was so unexpected and much appreciated! (The upgrade room was fantastic, but I did still feel sad that we couldn't have spent our wedding night enjoying the amazing golden bath!)

Booking the dining room via the events team was hassle free though - and they were really brilliant. Thank you for that.

The staff on the day were AMAZING, incredibly friendly and just generally lovely to all of us. The food was good and was all served promptly. The set menus in the dining room are excellent value for money and the wine list offers a good range that cater for most tastes and budget (including a wonderful English 'Champagne')

The cocktails were of course brilliant - especially the Gooseberry Kir Royale which was my absolute favourite.

All in all, it was a positive experience and we left with happy memories of our wedding day. Thank you Zetter Townhouse!

Room Tip: The Zetter won't guarantee any room requests - but all of the rooms are excellent so you cannot...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I am delighted that we could accommodate you and your guests during your wedding celebrations. I have passed on your compliments to the events team and am pleased to hear that you were looked after on the day.
I’m sorry to hear your comments about your reservation, we always try to accommodate special requests where possible but I shall address this with the team to ensure improvements in the future. I do hope that this will not deter you from choosing to stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Zetter Townhouse is a lovely, quirky hotel in a very convenient location. We were lucky enough to stay in the townhouse apartment which is beautiful. The only downside is having to access the hotel through the cocktail lounge which can get very busy in the evenings (great for an interesting cocktail though...!)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rach_Chadd

I am so pleased that the quirky feel of the Townhouse Apartment was to your liking and that you found us conveniently located for your needs whilst staying in London. The fact that our rooms are accessed through the cocktail lounge with a lack of reception is so that guests feel they are entering into what could be a townhouse rather than a hotel. We feel this adds to the charm but I take on board your comments that this may not be ideal for all. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were staying for my brother's wedding last weekend.
We had booked a room big enough to fit in us and our two children (8 and 6) and were warned on booking that it might be a bit of a squeeze, but decided that for one night, we could manage.
It turned out to be palatial! Each child had a proper folding bed and ours was superking, with still plenty of space to move around the room. We had a shower, rather than a bath, but again for one night, it didn't matter. We had a fabulous dual aspect over the peaceful St John's Square and were able to have the windows open with no noise issues and the very efficient aircon meant that the room was wonderfully cool and comfortable to sleep in - not the norm at all for a city hotel. The size of the hotel and the fact that no-one gets access to the stairs or lift without a keycard meant that we felt safe to let our children wander around a little and to put them to bed while we were downstairs. These small freedoms meant a happier stay for all of us.
Top marks though, must go to the Zetter staff, who are endlessly friendly/helpful/patient. I would go back here like a shot.
Hats off to you Zetter Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of St John's Square, which will get you away from the traffic on Clerkenwell Road...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a relaxing stay with us when celebrating your brother’s wedding. Additionally, that the room was more than comfortable for the four of you. We agree that the ambiance of St John’s Square can make you forget that you are in the heart of London at times and it always means a lot to hear that our guests felt the warmth from our team. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you are next in London.