“A real treat of a hotel”
Review of The Zetter Hotel

The Zetter Hotel
Ranked #125 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A real treat of a hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at the Zetter Townhouse and quite frankly couldn't have been more impressed. On arrival the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We booked a clubhouse room for the night via. Mr & Mrs Smith (who we were also that impressed with we have now booked another through them) and on checking in we found we had been upgraded to the Townhouse apartment. The room was superb with a lovely lounge area, Superb bathroom with a huge shower and a stunning free standing bath. The bed was super comfy also.

It was a pleasure to find out also that downstairs was a thriving cocktail bar, which after going out for super we treated ourselves to a refreshing night cap. Due to booking through Mr. & Mrs Smith we we given complementary "conti" breakfast which was sufficient.

Great location as we were attending a Graduation in the Barbican and only a £15 taxi ride away for super in green park.

Would defiantly stay again!

Room Tip: Book via Mr & Mrs Smith for the liitle extras!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
It is fantastic to read that the Townhouse apartment was exactly to your liking and I could not agree more about the comfort of the bed! I am pleased that you got to experience our award winning cocktail lounge and I do hope that we will be seeing you again when you are next in London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The zetter hotel is in a really convenient area, close to Farringdon and barbican tube station. The hotel common areas and rooms are stylish and quite individual (especially the brothel-like red glowing lights above the external windows - very individual!). The staff are fab, polite and friendly, knowledgeable and nothing is too much for them to do.

However, I stayed here one night and I've never has a worse night sleep. My room was facing Clerkenwell road, which is VERY busy and the windows of the hotel are inadequate at blocking any noise out (I may as well have slept on the pavement). I was staying in London on a course, and struggled the second day due to lack of sleep. I wouldn't stay here again at the risk of getting a road facing room.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the road
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank HelenaN313
Helena, whilst it was a delight to read that our team were friendly and accommodating during your stay, I am disappointed to hear that you experienced a bad night’s sleep. The road outside can be very busy at times, and although we have triple glazed the windows, we do understand that the noise can still sometimes seep through. If you could you please provide me with your details and details of your stay, we will update your profile so we can ensure that you are allocated a room facing away from Clerkenwell Road should you be inclined to reconsider and give us another chance.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I never normally review hotels but I just had to with this one! i absolutely loved my stay at The Zetter, from start to finish. The Reception staff were friendly, genuine & made the whole check in process enjoyable. After being taken up to the room & given local facts about the area i inspected the room to find it completely spotless! Complimentary sparkling water & honesty bar were fab! Good size bathroom & bed and enough room for two people. Bar area looked really 60's and ha a fantastic atmosphere. The tube is less than three minutes walk away (Farrington) and there are plenty of reasonably prices pubs & restaurants in the vicinity. What topped the whole experience off was the Champagne & Strawberry's along with a handwritten note left in the room while we were out. This was the result of a brief mention that it was our anniversary & left me feeling really impressed. I would highly recommend this to others (which i already have done!) and i can 100% say i will be returning for a second stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review Charlie and for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary. It was our pleasure to ensure that this was a memorable occasion and I am delighted to read that you will be recommending us to others. We look forward to welcoming you back for your second stay and hope that this is as pleasing as the first.
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a four night business trip to London, stayed in the Zetter hotel, and loved it. I dislike soulless corporate hotels, but sometimes words like "charming," "quirky," or "funky" are code for unprofessional or problematic. And too many hotels described as stylish aren't necessarily pleasant places to spend much time in (I'm thinking of places like the Hudson Hotel in NYC with its minimalist and thoroughly uncomfortable design).

But the charm of the Zetter is that it was designed and executed with care, with the aim of being distinctive but also functional. Staff are incredibly friendly, the rooms are small but thoughtfully designed, and things work well. I had the fire alarm problem mentioned by a previous reviewer - I hope they get that worked out - but otherwise nothing was out of order. By the way, the rooms are small but, interestingly, the bathroom was not, which was a pleasant surprise. (As a frequent visitor to NYC I'm accustomed to ridiculously small bathrooms.) The espresso machine on each floor was a nice touch - drip or filter American coffee being almost unheard of in the U.K.

I was mostly working but I'll echo previous comments about Clerkenwell being a great neighborhood, with lots of bars, coffee shops, and restaurants. There's a Tube stop about a 5-7 minute walk away, so transportation is easy.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Zetter whilst you were in London on business, appreciating the design of our rooms and our friendly staff. I hope that we can welcome you back next time on a leisure trip so you have more time to explore all that Clerkenwell has to offer.
london
Reviewed 12 July 2014

went for brunch and its like stepping into a very loved Aunt's sitting room (well I was meeting my nephew!) the attention to the period/quirky detail is exemplary and brought a smile to our faces. The area is very busy with all the different restaurants so this little oasis is easily overmissed (I wouldn't have realised it was a bar/restaurant had my nephew not told me to meet him here). Hence you're out of the madding crowd and its just simply lovely!
We had an excellent brunch and delicious drinks - its quite pricey and perhaps a bit more training with the staff but I'll DEFINITELY come back here to the little secrety place!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for lovely review of the Zetter Townhouse, it is great to hear that you found it to be an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of London life! I am delighted that you enjoyed both our food and drink offering, and our small touches which we like to agree make us unique. See you again very soon!
Nacka, Sweden
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A quite nice little hotel in cool Clerkenwell ... if it wasnt for all the annoying details. When we arrived the Ving Key Card system was down since a couple of days. This means you need staff to escort you to your room. One of two elevators was out of order. And being woken up by the fire alarm (false alarm of course) is not my cup of tea.

Other special touches includes staff vacuum cleaning way after 3PM in the afternoon and an in-room safe located at floor level big enough for a cellphone ... that doesnt work.

The room description said, among other things, bathtub and minibar. none of these were present (I like my fridge). The most annoying part of all though was the narrow bed. This was not a regular room, not even a superior but a Deluxe. And still the bed was a UK queen. Want a king size bed like you're used to? Get a Rooftop Superior for some £400.

Other than all the above; nice atmosphere, friendly staff, fast wireless and a nice breakfast (if expensive).

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and the extremely noisy hallway coffee machine.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay, of course we are disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced. We are currently in communication with the travel agent you booked through, so you will be hearing from us shortly.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had the room that features in the photo - an apartment at the top of the building with a lovely deck area. In fact, a large lovely deck area, with loungers & seating. We loved it. The room was very good, bathroom reasonable in size. The only things to make it more perfect - somewhere to hang used towels & stuff (not much in the bathroom), and better luggage stowage (isn't this a problem in most rooms - or is it just me with difficult pieces?). We loved the breakfasts, and we loved the care of the staff. The front desk could not have been more helpful or responsive - especially when arranging a taxi. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: If affordable, go the apartments on the roof.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian- Your review was a delight to read, thank you! The rooftop apartment is a personal favourite of mine and I hope you got to make the most of the deck with this rare July sunshine! I am pleased to read that the team were accommodating with all requests and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.