“Cheap, quiet, comfortable night in London”

Hotel ibis budget London City Airport
Ranked #696 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We needed a cheap room for one night, near to the o2. We missed the last Travelodge room and I found this room at the Ibis Budget for £48 on late rooms.com. There were mixed reviews mostly polar opposites. Some saying it was terrible, worst place ever stayed in, others were more realistic like I hope mine will be.
The hotel is a pain to find. The post code does not get you there using satnav or google maps app. We resulted to using the coordinates provided on the booking email. Even then it was a bit tricky and we had to use the street view. It is just a white block building behind some bushes, next to the esso garage. First impressions of the carpark were great. Its round the back of the building, gated with CCTV and it was free for customers. Brilliant.
It took us a little while to check in is as there was only one lady on reception and check out is also 12pm. Lots of people were waiting for the 12pm check in but when we did get served, the lady was very friendly, we were seen to quickly and off we went to investigate the room.
Now as I've mentioned before, i'm a travelodge girl. I'm not fussy. So long as the room is reasonably priced, clean and has a shower, toilet, sink and bed, I'm happy. I really didn't know what to expect with the Ibis budget.
The room was smaller than I expected and I was a little taken aback when I saw the bathroom facilities were not 'in a bathroom', but once I got my head around it, it was fine. The room was spotless and very nicely decorated. Very simplistic and 'budget' but we only wanted to sleep and shower there.
The shower and toilet are separate units that open into the room and the sink is in the room between the shower and toilet doors. Shower was lovely and hot. I really can't complain.
I can see why people would think it was an awful room if you have unrealistic expectations for £48/night but it is a budget hotel and for the price, with the DLR on your doorstep (pontoon Dock is the nearest station 5 mins walk past the Esso) we thought it was fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there agin on our next trip to the capital.
Yes it is right next door to London City airport but you wouldn't know it. I took ear plugs with me just in case but I didn't need them.
You have the option of a continental breakfast for £4.95. We went down to have a look at it before buying and decided it wasn't for us. For a few quid more, we had a walk down past the docklands to the Fox at Connught and got a full english breakfast which is what we wanted.
The hotel was very hospitable allowing us to leave the car in the carpark after check out whilst we went to the Fox.

Over all I was very impressed with the hotel. If I want a swanky night away then I don't look for £48 a night. If you want a cheap, clean room that accessible to central London, this has to be one of the best.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind comments and I am
delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel ibis budget London City Airport

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here for one night in order to catch an early morning flight for nearby City airport. The room was cheap, we paid £51 for the night, which is a lot less than others nearby.

The bed wasn't particulary comfortable and the walls were thin, leading to a lot of noise with people wheeling suitcases about outside. However, for £51 you really can't complain too much.

Cheap and cheerful is the best way to describe this hotel. Perfect if staying by the airport, but there's nothing else nearby so no real reason to stay otherwise as far as I can tell.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we have noted your comments.
See you on your next trip hopefully!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank F Q
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Reviewed 22 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The description of the hotel tells you all you need to know - "budget". When you stay here, you are unashamedly getting what you pay for.

The rooms are spotlessly clean although sparsely furnished. However, if you are only looking for somewhere to sleep then it is absolutely fine.

The hotel is literally five minutes walk from Pontoon Dock DLR station so it is very handy for getting onto the London transport network or for getting to London City Airport.

If you are a light sleeper, I would suggest that you ask for a room to the rear of the building - I was woken several times by road noise and by planes taking off from City Airport.

Room Tip: Get a room to the rear (car park) side of the building
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Budget London City Airport. Our team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay. In the meantime, please be assured that we have noted your comments about noise disturbance which will be addressed.
See you on your next trip hopefully!

Kind regards