“booked and paid in advance on arrival no rooms available!!!”

The Belgravia Hotel
Ranked #421 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This weekend trip was a treat for our teenage daughter for her birthday, the hotel was booked and paid for six weeks prior and confirmation was sent via e-mail, we spent some time in London and arrived at the hotel at 4pm to be told they did not have a room available as the receptionist that we booked with had not registered the booking in their diary when I asked what they were going to do the lady told me to give her two hours and return at 6pm she would go round the area to see if she could book alternative accomodation we left the premises together, as we left another staff member asked her to return we sat at a cafe opposite for the next half an hour and then decided to go back to see what was happening, she had been told by what I presume to be the manager she was not aloud to go out and search for alternative accomadation, I asked to see the manager at this point as she was not able to make any decisions he was extremely unhelpful he at this point offered us a double room for the three of us! which we declined, we made the decision to accept a refund and find our own accomodation, if we could not find accomodation I said I would expect him to pay for our train journey home he informed me he would not be prepared to do this, I would not reccomend this hotel at all as they cannot even offer what has been booked and paid for.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank scamp123
There are newer reviews for The Belgravia Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2009

The staff was friendly and the shared bathrooms were relatively clean, but apart from that the whole hotel seemed to be disintegrating. The curtains in our room were torn, the room was very small - so small you had to kneel on on one of the beds to be able to use the washbasin and mirror. There were two bathrooms and toilets for the guests, but one toilet didn't work. The shower could not be used either and in the bathroom below water was dripping from two holes in the ceiling. The carpets needed cleaning everywhere. Depressing. We didn't even consider having breakfast there.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank Catherine_lborg_
Reviewed 18 June 2009

The worst "hotel" I have every stayed in. A total rip-off. Very noisy. Toilet broken and shower a trickle with no hot water. Sheets stained. You have been warned!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank gillybean69
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We booked for 4 persons 2 rooms with single beds and paid 3 month's in advance.
The result was 2 rooms with 1 double bed and a fouldable bed in each room. That was not what we've agreed and paid for. The bed was terrible: I saw the springs in the evening end felt them during the night ! I think that even my dog has a better place to sleep.
The breakfast was poor. No fried eggs available as I expected in the UK and for the coffee you've to make your own with Nescafe and hot water.
The showerhead seems to be exploded. A lot of water was leaking sidewards instead of where it should go.
At the end they asked us to pay an extra Pound for each piece of luggage wich we wanted to leave over there for a couple of hours. We did not pay of course. Ridiculous !
This service for Pst. 145 per night is abstraction.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jefvdham
Reviewed 25 February 2009

My partner was treating me to a weekend away and had bought tickets to see 'Wicked'. It was my first time in London and I had been looking forward to it for months. We travelled down from Scotland on an overnight coach which arrived in London at 7am so it was fair to say we were tierd and looking forward to relaxing in our room before heading out for the day. When we found the hotel it looked not too bad from the outside but upon entering we realised that looks were deceiving. A girl met us and checked us in (she took me down the narrowest flights of stairs in history to the 'Office' which was no more that a computer desk under the stairs. As it was so early I had no cash on me (thankfully) and it was agreed that I could pop back with it within the hour. We were given our key and directed to our room. The smell of sour, stale cigarettes everywhere was very overpowering and nauseating and it was no better in the room. The room itself was tiny, the 'en-suite' was so small you could hardly turn around in it. There was a handle missing off the small drawers, the TV plug was missing a prong, the bed was ancient looking and extremely lumpy plus there were suspicious stains on the duvet cover. The 'en-suite' was not too bad at first glance but then when i looked again I noticed that there was a piece of old used soap in the shower, no full toilet rolls (both half used), brown water in the toilet (which cleared when flushed!). Overall I was appalled at the standard of this place and they were expecting us to pay £70 for the one night. We promptly found other suitable accommodation accross the road and advised the girl that we would not be staying and would not be paying for such a shambolic room. We told her that we would take it up with Hotels.com who we booked it through and she then agreed that we did not have to pay anything. However, the next day they had debited £40 from my account. How this hotel can call itself 3* is utterly beyond me and I don't know how they get away with it. Do not stay here under any circumstances - you are warned!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JamiScotland
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Do not stay here. They take payment in advance and are totally inflexible about any refund for changed arrangements. The manager said "this is how hotels are in the UK". Most are not; nor should they be. I call it extortion. Avoid.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank wombleYorkshire
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Looked fairly presentable from outside. However, on entering it was shabby and we had to go down a very narrow staircase to what they called "reception". It was the space under the stairs!
We were "told" we had to pay for the two nights in full there and then (in cash as their card machine was broken). We did pay but very reluctantly as we didn't want to be on the street with nowhere to go. We had to ask for a receipt. Twice.
The room was tiny, sink had rust round the plug hole, tap dripped, window was cracked and the room was generally run down. Upside was that the bed linen was clean but the bed was so uncomfortable and creaked every time we turned over.
Dividing wall was so thin I could hear people next door snoring, (and doing other things). The bed was right next to a radiator, reading lamp was on top of the radiator and fell down when anyone turned over in bed.
Shared bathroom was in a general state of disrepair, dirty and cold. Shower didn't work properly and bath was dirty, so we could only have a strip wash in the room in very restricted space.
Toiler seat was unhygenic as it was wooden and old.
The girl who did the breakfast was pleasant enough and attentive, the breakfast provided was adequate for our requirements. However, the dining room was too small for the number of rooms in the "hotel".
We would never go back - its more like a hostel for transients. Ok you don't expect much for £45 per night for B & B but you do expect cleanliness especially in a bathroom. Would NEVER recommend this hell hole to even my worst enemy!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple