“Really Disappointed”

Ranked #398 of 556 London B&B and Inns
anthem, AZ
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

My wife and I were in Paris and were returning to the States through London. We were spending just one night in London and we chose the Belgravia because it was within walking distance to Victoria Station from where we could catch the train to Gatwick the next morning. The hotel was relatively cheap, but it was far from a good deal. We paid for a "suite", which meant the room included a bathroom, the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. When shaving in the morning I actually stood outside the bathroom and leaned in over the sink to give me room to move my arms. Most offensive was that the ceiling in the shower was totally mildew encrusted (or was it mold), most likely because the fan in the bath was caked with dust and grime and did not work, not allowing any ventilation. The entire room stunk from the mildew.
The bed was "multi-leveled" and must have been 50 years old, although the linens did appear to be fresh. When we went to the basement for our "Breakfast", which consisted of Kraft individually wrapped cheese slices, a loaf of wheat bread, and some mystery meat, we were not able to be served since the "breakfast room" only had three small tables, which were filled, and there was no where to sit. The couple running the place were young, polite and clueless. When I complained about the room I was told by the young manager that he had never been in that room and was not aware of the mold/mildew problem. I am not a fussy traveler, and have never written a bad review before, but I feel compelled to warn my fellow travelers to avoid this place like the Plague!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Booked via Hotels.com (listed as a 3* hotel!), stupidly didn't check tripadvisor first (Grrr!)booked an en-suite double. Hotels.com lists that hotels will ONLY take payment up front if it explicitly says...this hotel did not, but yes, they DID take payment up front, and now we see why...
Booked as a treat, the outsides give away the horrors within. When greeted at the door by a pleasant woman who barely spoke English, was led down to a basement, which appeared to be staff rest area, but later found to be the 'restaurant' for breakfast! Was told room had no toilet yet I had paid for one, but 'there were facilities on each floor'. This was untrue, as found ONE servciceable (Unclean) toilet for 12 rooms!!!. Another loo was broken, and in the shower the hose didnt reach the attachment on the wall! The floor dirty and at 7am there was NO hot water - unsuprisingly. The shower head was mildew, ceiling mouldy, blind didnt fit, loo was damaged and sink dirty. The INSIDE window cill surface was flaked paint and filthy. The 'other' toilet had been used as a storage for foldaway beds, and the the third available was taped up and listed as 'broken'! 4 flights of stairs to the loo, which put me in view of the entrance, in my towel...
The room itself was abhorrent! the ceiling had LARGE holes in it, also damp patches, and the largest (dinner plate sized) was covered with a piece of giftwrap and pinned with drawing pins to conceal! The electrics entirely unsafe and loose from the wall both lighting and mains wires. And in one area exposed wires showing. There was no wardrobe storage...no room for one! (a blessing as...) the drawers in the cheap flat pack drawer unit (bedside cabinet) were stained and mouldy. The room sink was cracked and a half used bar of soap dry and crusty in the sink. The sink inaccessible owing to a poorly located bed. The decor was more befitting a 'squat'. Threadbare carpet and stained. The door ill fitting and rattled all evening, the sash windows insecure (4th floor and NOT child safe - they opened fully!!!!!). No wifi (which had been advertised). The tv worked on ONE channel alone, and the handset didnt work. A DISGUSTING example of a a squat, let alone a 'hotel'. How this has the cheek to call itself a hotel is beyond me. I wouldn't let my DOG sleep in these rooms! Hotels.com should remove this from their listing. This establishment is nothing more than a halfway house. The rooms were noisy from streetnoise, no facilities in room (teas and coffees?!). The WORST place I have ever stayed in. I'd rather have paid double elsewhere (this was £65 for one night!). DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2010

There was one toilet and one bathtub for 12 rooms, each with more than one bed. Two bathrooms were not functional. My room had mold growing on the ceiling. The one toilet was 5 flights downstairs. The one person who seemed in charge would not give a discount for the lack of availability of bathrooms or toilets. There was no management representation in the morning. I would've gone somewhere else except I came in late and after dreagging my luggage up 6 flights I couldn't face going back to the street and looking for another possible vacancy. I left as early as possible the next morning. The sheets seemed clean.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank mmlClearwate
Manchester
Reviewed 30 April 2010

we booked this hotel via hotels.com it was given 3 stars, it doesn't even deserve one!! The room was dangerous, electyrical sockets hanging off the wall, the smoke alarm was broke ... terrible. the draws were all dirty and mouldy inside, there was one toilet in the whole hotel that worked! the shower, which you share with other guests had mould all around it, needless to say we did not use this facility. On time of check out we waited for the manager as we needed to speak to him and we could not find him, I pressed the hotel door bell and he came to see me drunk un shaven and still in his night clothes which was completly inappropriate. There was a toilet which was broke and the other toilet room had all rubbish in it please see my photos, do not stay here!!! you get a false sense of security walking up to it as the street looks really nice. me and my son stayed out as late as we could so we didn't need to stay in the room and we left as soon as we woke up and just walked around London with our luggage.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank dizManchester
Perth
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I booked an ensuite room at the Belgravia over the internet for three nights and didn't get what I paid for. When I arrived, I was told I had a room with a bathroom, but couldn't use the toilet as it didn't work. In fact, only one of the shared toilets on one floor in the hotel was operational. On the first night of my stay, I was woken by a loud banging on my door - a "plumber" arrived at around 9.30 to look at the issue. On the second night, the plumber returned to fix the toilet and suggested that I stay in another room because he could not guarantee a fix nor could say how long he would be. I ended up in a room with no toilet or bathroom. On the last night I was there, I got moved to another room with an operational toilet and shower.....which had shocking drainage and smelled awful. I suspect most of the plumbing in the hotel was not installed legally. I was promised I would only be charged for a standard room and the difference would be credited to me via credit card. No such refund has happened yet. The hotel also advertised wireless internet access, which it clearly did not have. The staff were all very young and inexperienced and could not assist with anything more than the simplest of questions. There would have to be an abundance of places in London better than this for the same money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank AusSean
Dorset u.k.
Reviewed 20 November 2009

As a result of terrible reviews - hotel was cancelled within the specified time frame, but since then numerous phone calls & emails, still no refund

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
wiltshire
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This weekend trip was a treat for our teenage daughter for her birthday, the hotel was booked and paid for six weeks prior and confirmation was sent via e-mail, we spent some time in London and arrived at the hotel at 4pm to be told they did not have a room available as the receptionist that we booked with had not registered the booking in their diary when I asked what they were going to do the lady told me to give her two hours and return at 6pm she would go round the area to see if she could book alternative accomodation we left the premises together, as we left another staff member asked her to return we sat at a cafe opposite for the next half an hour and then decided to go back to see what was happening, she had been told by what I presume to be the manager she was not aloud to go out and search for alternative accomadation, I asked to see the manager at this point as she was not able to make any decisions he was extremely unhelpful he at this point offered us a double room for the three of us! which we declined, we made the decision to accept a refund and find our own accomodation, if we could not find accomodation I said I would expect him to pay for our train journey home he informed me he would not be prepared to do this, I would not reccomend this hotel at all as they cannot even offer what has been booked and paid for.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family