“No problems”

Premier Inn London Docklands (Excel) Hotel
Ranked #218 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Stayed here for one night whilst in London for a convention with work. Was welcomed warmly by the reception staff who explained dinner and breakfast options and directed us to our room. Room was large and clean, bathroom was fine. Had dinner in the hotel bar...nothing outstanding, but certainly edible and good service. Breakfast next morning was a little disappointing as the cooked breakfast wasnt really all that hot, but there was a large selection of cereals and plenty bread for toast etc. For the price we paid (£68 for the night for 2 people) we certainly could not complain.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
MartinH1, General Manager at Premier Inn London Docklands (Excel) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2009

Hi Miss Pink,

Thanks for your comments, we look forward to seeing you again next time you attend a conference at Excel.

Kind regards,

Martin Hurley

Reviewed 28 August 2009

I checked in late and was greeted by a very personable and friendly reception manager. I was given keys to room 407 and on getting to the room it was well made up. Charge for the room was 88 Pounds for the night.
There is an Internet access computer by reception.

The parking is free from 5pm to 9.30 am so you if you intend having a lie in you will still have to get up early to go and feed the parking meter outside.
Whilst this did not affect me as I was to be out early, I can see it being an issue under different circumstances.

I was surprised to find though that the room did not have a pressing iron and ironing board, unlike other Premier Inns I have stayed at.

The room was terribly noisy with traffic noise, train noise and aircraft noise even with the window shut.

Room 407 is on the 4th floor and the train goes past on an elevated bridge that is practically level with the window.Add onto that the low flying Aircraft taking off from Docklands Airport and all this ensured a comfortable nights sleep was not really possible.

I really was unimpressed as the soundproofing is not what one would expect of a hotel in a high noise location like this.
I have stayed at many Premier Inns all over the UK and never had an issue like this before. Infact I usually stay at them because I know the standard that I am guaranteed, and in every one I have stayed in bar this one, the standard is good to excellent, staff are always friendly and courteous and I have always had a good nights rest.

The next morning I complained to the receptionist about the noise. He then stated that I should have called the reception and told them the room was noisy. This got me quite irritated as he spoke to me in an extremely offhanded manner. I asked what he could have done about stopping the traffic noise or aircraft or trains going past the hotel if I had complained.

Really due to his attitude, I told him that I was aware of a good nights rest guarantee in other Premier Inns I had stayed at and could not see any of this mentioned in this Premier Inn reception. I then asked to see his Manager.

He called the Manager. Despite the fact we could see each other when he called her after about 5 min she came over, completely ignored me and proceeded to deal with a delivery driver. I really was not pleased, particularly as it was getting to 9.30 and I was concerned I would be getting a parking ticket.

Once she had dealt with the delivery driver she then told me that it was company policy that I should have complained when the noise was happening. I asked for the good night sleep guarantee literature, but none seemed to be available.She really was as offhand as the receptionist and all in all I was not at all impressed with the Customer Care here.

I finally got a refund, and this is one Premier Inn I will not be back to, as I would much rather have had a good nights sleep without the hassle and 'attitude' of the Morning staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank LezGoLezGo
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Perhaps not the most intimate of Premier Inns, but fine for a night's stay if attending an exhibition at ExCel. When the new wing of the centre opens, it will be situated much closer to ExCel than now For the moment it's one stop on DLR or a 10 minute walk - which is fine during the day but certainly not recommended after dark, especially if you're a lone female traveller. Use the free exhibition shuttle bus instead (check times beforehand) and get back to the hotel early.

You may well get offered a special "Meal Deal" on arrival. Just beware that, although seemingly cheap, the food is very basic and mostly deep fried (deep fried mushrooms, deep fried fish, chips etc) or boil-in-the-bag type fayre. There was little of nutritional value. They must even have run out of salad as the garnish was the most miniscule bit of lettuce I have EVER seen! You get an inclusive glass of wine, but it's a tiny amount (125 ml?) in a huge glass - presumably a marketing ploy to get you to buy more. It worked!

Breakfast was much better than dinner and the early day staff were superbly polite and helpful.

There are security guards around outside that tells you this is perhaps not an area to wander around exploring in a posh suit. Indeed, the stark contrast between the modern hotel and the surrounding run down area reminds you that that this is - sadly - still an area of massive social deprivation.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stopped at this hotel in April 2009 we were seeing AC/DC at the 02 arena. We arrived on the DLR Docklands Light Railway which is a few minutes walk away. The staff on arrival we most helpful with maps and extra tea bags and sugar etc. The hotel appeared very clean and the room certainly was. Everything you would expect from a Premier Inn. Good shower and plenty of pillows etc. The DLR runs to the side of the hotel and start fairly early in the morning also the City Airport is close saying that there were no noise issues at all. We didnt eat at the hotel so I cant comment on that. The guy the following morning at checkout I have to say was the nicest reception person Ive meet in a hotel for years and he was only young Im sure he will go far. Would use again for sure if we were gigging at 02 or Excel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank KimQueenofQuo
Reviewed 16 April 2009

The hotel is close to the DLR, with links into London very frequent and our two young children (aged 2 and 6) loved riding the DLR, especially when dark. The immediate area is very limited, but we chose this hotel so we could drive into London, going across the Woolwich Ferry to get there was great fun and free.

The family room was a good size comfortably fitting a good size double and two single beds in for the two children. The room was very clean, with the right number of towels, cups etc for us all. The room was quieter than we had expected being so close to the airport and DLR and the beds very comfortable; we all had two good nights sleep.

We were all very impressed by the service and the friendly and welcoming staff, we felt well looked after, nothing seemed too much trouble and all staff we encountered without exception were lovely with our two boys. They both loved staying and didn't want to leave.

Having a restaurant in the hotel was great with two young children, the food is fine, nothing to be excited about but did the trick. Breakfast was a great hit with the boys and both seemed to eat well, in fact it was their best meal of each day on our trip to London.

It is unfortunate that you have to pay for the parking, but we knew that before we arrived and parking was plentiful and immediately outside the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We had 2 rooms booked as we were going to the O2 to see Tina Turner. Finding the hotel from Prince Regent DLR station is simple (5 min walk) it has signs from the station and you can see the hotel from the station. Upon arriving, the man at checked in welcomed us and checked us in promptly and told us everything we needed to know and booked us breakfast. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. Getting to the O2 is simple with 1 change at Canning Town to North Greenwich. The breakfast was very well presented and a great choice. Had a great night sleep overall and will stay hear next time when at the O2! The concert and the hotel made a great memory of the break.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Jami_18
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Well, you always say you know what you’re going to get at a Premier Inn - clean, fast service and reasonably priced edible food. Always close to a road / rail network so you can’t really go wrong, can you? I’ve stayed in dozens of these and I suppose they’re really not worth reviewing as they’re all a model of good value and vanilla service, location and character.

But this one is worth a mention…..firstly the directions from the DLR “turn left out of the station” really means turn right! Loads of signs in the station to the hotel but none outside. Luckily enough you can’t miss the hotel neon lights, but how hard is it to give directions?

So once you’ve got past the disinterested reception staff (who can recite the corporate mantra as if they’ve had it drilled into them), you get to your room which is as you expect - clean and big enough etc. etc…..pretty good actually.

Whether my experience in the restaurant was unique (although reflected by many of the guests) I couldn’t say as I won’t be staying again, but having to wait for 45 minutes for a cold starter isn’t that much fun, although having a giggly young thing assuring you that you’re being looked after, is, to say the least, novel if inaccurate. Oh, and having a high chair pushed into my lap by a waitress could have been excusable, but a screech of “did you see what I did?” didn’t exactly go down well.

One word of warning - if you don’t book a table you won’t get dinner. Simple as that. I saw a few people wait for over an hour just to get a table.

Food….well, it’s normally reasonable across the chain but this was different. When it arrived it really wasn’t worth the effort (must have been hard to cook to have taken so long) but I’d been beaten into submission by then. It had to be eaten, and it was just about OK. Anyway, the upside was that I just got asked if my Company was paying (yes), and it was all over….no room number, nothing. Must be a very clever system…..

Bed was comfortable; room was OK, nice and quiet so I had a good night’s sleep.

So, in conclusion, I don’t really understand why this one should be so different to all the other Premier Inns, but it is (unless the ones I’ve not yet been to are the same). So, come on Lenny (Henry), go stay at this one and dream up a new strap line for the adverts….but for goodness sake can someone put some effort into this place - it’s ruining the brand which is a real shame.

I was booked in for two nights but decided not to stay for the 2nd night…….unfortunately impossible to cancel the room at reception in the morning due to some indecipherable nonsense about “system access”…......

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)