“No Complaints”

Ranked #227 of 1,067 Hotels in London
North West England
“No Complaints”
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Having read about the noise issues on this site I arranged a "quiet" room in advance. I was amazed just how quiet the room was!
All of the staff were exeptionally friendly and welcoming and seemed genuinly pleased I was staying with them.
The room was very large for London standards and perfectly adequately equipped for a budget hotel.
I stayed here for two nights whilst attending an event at Excel which is adjacent. There's a pub next door and a chinese restaurant across the road (I only ever eat in a hotel as a last resort)
If attending Excel this place takes a lot of beating.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
MartinH1, General Manager at Premier Inn London Docklands (Excel) Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2009
Hi Fluffchucker,

Thanks for taking time to write a review, I appreciate the feedback. Next time you visit Excel for a conference I hope you try our restaurant!

Thanks again,

Martin Hurley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Polish first
West Sussex
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Recently stayed as we were going to a concert at the O2 arena. Very convenient location. All those poor souls traipsing back to the main London stations to go home in crowed trains,all we had to do was to transfer to the Docklands Light Railway and we were having a drink in the bar in no time!
Hotel very clean and comfortable,the staff excellent.Welcoming,friendly and very helpful.Bedroom and bathroom spotless.
We had the meal deal on offer at the time - dinner and all you can eat breakfast for £20! Food very good.
The only downside was the noise from the Dockland Light Railway as our room was right next to it, but it didn't run all night so not really a complaint. Ask for a room at the other side of the hotel and there would be no problem. We would certainly go again if we go to the O2 again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Hi Bagpuss,

Thanks for the feedback, Im pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you stay with us again next time you visit the O2.

Kind regards,

Northumberland
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Stayed here for one night whilst in London for a convention with work. Was welcomed warmly by the reception staff who explained dinner and breakfast options and directed us to our room. Room was large and clean, bathroom was fine. Had dinner in the hotel bar...nothing outstanding, but certainly edible and good service. Breakfast next morning was a little disappointing as the cooked breakfast wasnt really all that hot, but there was a large selection of cereals and plenty bread for toast etc. For the price we paid (£68 for the night for 2 people) we certainly could not complain.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Hi Miss Pink,

Thanks for your comments, we look forward to seeing you again next time you attend a conference at Excel.

Kind regards,

Hereford UK
Reviewed 28 August 2009

I checked in late and was greeted by a very personable and friendly reception manager. I was given keys to room 407 and on getting to the room it was well made up. Charge for the room was 88 Pounds for the night.
There is an Internet access computer by reception.

The parking is free from 5pm to 9.30 am so you if you intend having a lie in you will still have to get up early to go and feed the parking meter outside.
Whilst this did not affect me as I was to be out early, I can see it being an issue under different circumstances.

I was surprised to find though that the room did not have a pressing iron and ironing board, unlike other Premier Inns I have stayed at.

The room was terribly noisy with traffic noise, train noise and aircraft noise even with the window shut.

Room 407 is on the 4th floor and the train goes past on an elevated bridge that is practically level with the window.Add onto that the low flying Aircraft taking off from Docklands Airport and all this ensured a comfortable nights sleep was not really possible.

I really was unimpressed as the soundproofing is not what one would expect of a hotel in a high noise location like this.
I have stayed at many Premier Inns all over the UK and never had an issue like this before. Infact I usually stay at them because I know the standard that I am guaranteed, and in every one I have stayed in bar this one, the standard is good to excellent, staff are always friendly and courteous and I have always had a good nights rest.

The next morning I complained to the receptionist about the noise. He then stated that I should have called the reception and told them the room was noisy. This got me quite irritated as he spoke to me in an extremely offhanded manner. I asked what he could have done about stopping the traffic noise or aircraft or trains going past the hotel if I had complained.

Really due to his attitude, I told him that I was aware of a good nights rest guarantee in other Premier Inns I had stayed at and could not see any of this mentioned in this Premier Inn reception. I then asked to see his Manager.

He called the Manager. Despite the fact we could see each other when he called her after about 5 min she came over, completely ignored me and proceeded to deal with a delivery driver. I really was not pleased, particularly as it was getting to 9.30 and I was concerned I would be getting a parking ticket.

Once she had dealt with the delivery driver she then told me that it was company policy that I should have complained when the noise was happening. I asked for the good night sleep guarantee literature, but none seemed to be available.She really was as offhand as the receptionist and all in all I was not at all impressed with the Customer Care here.

I finally got a refund, and this is one Premier Inn I will not be back to, as I would much rather have had a good nights sleep without the hassle and 'attitude' of the Morning staff.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank LezGoLezGo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Perhaps not the most intimate of Premier Inns, but fine for a night's stay if attending an exhibition at ExCel. When the new wing of the centre opens, it will be situated much closer to ExCel than now For the moment it's one stop on DLR or a 10 minute walk - which is fine during the day but certainly not recommended after dark, especially if you're a lone female traveller. Use the free exhibition shuttle bus instead (check times beforehand) and get back to the hotel early.

You may well get offered a special "Meal Deal" on arrival. Just beware that, although seemingly cheap, the food is very basic and mostly deep fried (deep fried mushrooms, deep fried fish, chips etc) or boil-in-the-bag type fayre. There was little of nutritional value. They must even have run out of salad as the garnish was the most miniscule bit of lettuce I have EVER seen! You get an inclusive glass of wine, but it's a tiny amount (125 ml?) in a huge glass - presumably a marketing ploy to get you to buy more. It worked!

Breakfast was much better than dinner and the early day staff were superbly polite and helpful.

There are security guards around outside that tells you this is perhaps not an area to wander around exploring in a posh suit. Indeed, the stark contrast between the modern hotel and the surrounding run down area reminds you that that this is - sadly - still an area of massive social deprivation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Birmingham England
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stopped at this hotel in April 2009 we were seeing AC/DC at the 02 arena. We arrived on the DLR Docklands Light Railway which is a few minutes walk away. The staff on arrival we most helpful with maps and extra tea bags and sugar etc. The hotel appeared very clean and the room certainly was. Everything you would expect from a Premier Inn. Good shower and plenty of pillows etc. The DLR runs to the side of the hotel and start fairly early in the morning also the City Airport is close saying that there were no noise issues at all. We didnt eat at the hotel so I cant comment on that. The guy the following morning at checkout I have to say was the nicest reception person Ive meet in a hotel for years and he was only young Im sure he will go far. Would use again for sure if we were gigging at 02 or Excel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank KimQueenofQuo
West Sussex
Reviewed 16 April 2009

The hotel is close to the DLR, with links into London very frequent and our two young children (aged 2 and 6) loved riding the DLR, especially when dark. The immediate area is very limited, but we chose this hotel so we could drive into London, going across the Woolwich Ferry to get there was great fun and free.

The family room was a good size comfortably fitting a good size double and two single beds in for the two children. The room was very clean, with the right number of towels, cups etc for us all. The room was quieter than we had expected being so close to the airport and DLR and the beds very comfortable; we all had two good nights sleep.

We were all very impressed by the service and the friendly and welcoming staff, we felt well looked after, nothing seemed too much trouble and all staff we encountered without exception were lovely with our two boys. They both loved staying and didn't want to leave.

Having a restaurant in the hotel was great with two young children, the food is fine, nothing to be excited about but did the trick. Breakfast was a great hit with the boys and both seemed to eat well, in fact it was their best meal of each day on our trip to London.

It is unfortunate that you have to pay for the parking, but we knew that before we arrived and parking was plentiful and immediately outside the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family