“not what one would expect”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fox Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #113 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“not what one would expect”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

£120 per night was unjustified for the quality of the accommodation .Did not expect to be sleeping in owners own bedroom complete with all there personal belongings ie dressing gowns behind the door that had no lock and clothing in the wardrobes.The lack of en- suite facilities tea /coffee making facilities and no TV was disappointing .The bathroom was very dated with tiles missing of the walls ,no shower screen and hand held shower. If you are not a animal lover keep away as there are dogs running around and cats loitering in the hallway.Sue and Tim ,the hosts,were very charming and approachable but that does not equate to value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Well where do I start. No stand up shower, no tea/coffee facility in room, no TV, no drawer or wardrobe space (room full of owners belongings & clothes), bathroom downstairs with large wall tiles missing, no drinking glasses (in room or bathroom), dirty carpets throughout, cobwebs & junk in all directions.
I had to crouch in the bath whilst holding the shower tap thingy, showering one handed, no curtain or shower bracket to stand up. The bathroom door had pale stained glass, (felt I might be watched washing).
Yes the owners are charming, & the continental breakfast was nice, but for £120/night, what a disgrace. I have never had such poor facilities anywhere else in the country at that price. I wasn’t asked what I thought of the place & another guest was at breakfast with me, so didn’t have much chance to complain.
The centre of Crystal Palace is very close, up a very very steep hill (Fox Hill). I have stayed at the Indian run Palace Hotel (at the top of Fox Hill) at £55 a night & had better service. Next time I will stay at my usual Aerodrome (Hallmark) Hotel , South Croydon, at £100 per night, a few miles away, with everything I need in a room!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
AnophelesLondon, Owner at Fox Hill Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
We were most distressed to learn that this gentleman had been so unhappy and felt unable to tell us so that we could have addressed his concerns, but rather surprised that he stayed for a second night. We work hard to make our guests feel welcome in our family home (we are not a hotel, which is why people come to us) and hope that they will speak to us if something is wrong. The bathroom in question is to be completely refurbished as a shower room this month.
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Another chance to review a 'real' adored and brilliant jem.

Fox Hill, is not normal. Nor are the owners. Who are quirky and unusual. Celebrate that fact, don't fight it. Sue and Tim (Tim's the powerhouse) are the epitomy of Warhol.

Unusual, weird, wonderful and inherently fantastic hosts. She's Chelsea, he's old school. They have chickens for crizakes. Chickens. And Shreddie. The dog. Shreddie will keep you amused for hours..

To detail. Beautiful bedrooms. Usually covered in Sue. Nothing sexual. She quilts. She does it sublimely well. Your bedroom will be a statement. Sue's statement. Your room will be delightful, don't fear. Be happy. she's a tiptop girl, that wants you to be really indulged. She wants you well.

Tim, at breakfast, is minimalist. One egg, one tranche of bacon etc etc. Tim is not the essence of Brit brekky. Go down the road for that. But basics are there. And yum. It all fits. If you asked for fried bread, or an extra somethingorother, he'd have a coronary. Don't do it. But the essence of him is extraordinary. He is a thoroughly good bloke.

But if, like me, you adore reality, share the sane and sensible view about being somewhere and anywhere and want your host grounded and just brilliant them, whatever their contribution to your experience, then go here. I fell in love with the pair of them.

Really good folk.

Lovely people, delivering a solid, creative and yummy experience.

Room Tip: Any, they are all good.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MonsieurDeLys
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I made a last minute reservation for my parents, visiting on a Saturday night. Very nice room (albeit only accessed after 5pm, upon request of owners) in an excellent area- great places to eat and bars, with boutique shops etc.. Apparently the morning breakfast (On Sunday morning, no later than 830am-again owners convenience won the day) consisted of a single egg and 2 rashers of bacon with toast. Not a full English and certainly not what you'd expect for £110. I prefer B+Bs to chain hotels but on this occasion it felt like my parents inconvenienced the hosts and at £110 per night it was quite inconvenient and the breakfast was poor. I love the area and there aren't other B+Bs so hope this was a blip

If you do book make sure you get the room you want. i was given the impression that the only room available were the £110 rooms (not the £90 rooms I wanted) but apparently my parents were the only guests

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Gavin H
We are always sorry to hear that our guests have not been happy during their stay with us and hope that they will tell us if anything is wrong. With a last minute reservation of this nature, there may well have been arrangements that we could not change, but we always do our best to be flexible and accommodate people if we can. We do not actually advertise or mention a Full English Breakfast, but we do offer cooked breakfast (eggs various, bacon, tomatoes), cereals, porridge, toast and fruit (some other Sawday hosts only offer a Continental breakfast) tea, coffee or herbal infusions. The two rooms on the top floor were not available as they had already been booked.
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I stayed in the Fox Hill B&B for one night and of all the B&Bs I've been to, this one had such a great homely feel. Sue and Tim are a lovely couple who instantly make you feel like you're one of the family when you enter into the house. The house itself is gorgeous, with all the period features you could imagine (bay windows, fireplaces, etc). I got a tour of the house, an explanation of the photos and decor on the walls (I'm a sucker for history), and I honestly felt like I'd come home for the weekend.

The hospitality, breakfast and warm nature of the house and owners is second to none. The rooms are cute, and definitely comfortable. For a B&B in London, I'd recommend this straight away. Compared to your £20 a night in a sterile Premier Inn, I'd say this is worth the money for the extra cost and homely stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank theycallmeuma
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I've stayed with the Haighs several times and it is always like coming home to friends. On a drizzly London day the house is an airy, comfy refuge filled with books, quilts and curios. Sue and Tim are gracious, helpful, knowledgeable, interesting and interested hosts, with friends and family members frequently dropping by - basically you join their family for the duration of your stay. I'm not surprised that so many guests keep coming back. Sue is a marvelous cook presiding over her blue and white country kitchen; the jams are homemade and the breakfast eggs come straight from the hens in the backyard. Although not far from Central London by train or bus, the neighbourhood is quiet - good night's sleep guaranteed. Staying at Fox Hill will be one of the best things about your visit to London.i

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SheridanSilver
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Very welcoming lovely owners & a beautiful house with patchworks and antiques, but at this price there were a few glaring omissions. There was no provision for drinks of tea & coffee other than those supplied at breakfast and breakfast itself was minimal (the cooked breakfast just bacon and egg - tho nicely cooked). The room also wasn't cleaned, not even the bathroom, which again for this price it should have been.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank goodplacehound
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge London Crystal Palace
Leigham Court Hotel
Leigham Court Hotel
#534 of 1,068 in London
Premier Inn London Brixton Hotel

Been to Fox Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!