“No detail goes amiss!”

Ace Hotel London Shoreditch
Ranked #391 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Having been to their location in NYC, I was ecstatic to learn there was another in London! The staff on both the hotel and bar/restaurant side were friendly and extremely helpful. The attention to detail throughout was much enjoyed. The size and design of the "standard" room felt and looked much better than it sounds initially, we loved the window couch. Room service breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced. The location was great- short walk to food, awesome bars, Spitalfields Market etc. And super easy to hop on a bus or the metro (with helpful instructions from the staff). Can't wait for our next stay at The Ace.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

The Staff at Ace London

Hey Stepokee, Many Thanks for the five stars it’s a nice way how to end the week. We are so happy to read the fact you’re an Ace enthusiast and have also stayed at the NYC hotel. We have a great team who love paying attention to detail and so to read that you noticed this is amazing.

Many Thanks,

The Staff at Ace London

Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for quick business trip in January. I loved the property, lobby was relaxing and open, the whole team was superb and a special thank you to Inga for a great welcome.
I will defiantly recommend to others and I look forward to return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hey, Many Thanks for the five stars it’s a nice way how to end the week. Our staffs at Ace do try and make our entire guests feel welcome. I will pass the thanks onto Inga.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is my first stay at the hotel since it has changed hands and been refurbished. It is a bizarre mix of quirky trendy busy noisy. I didn't dislike it I just found it too different from what I typically expect when I'm away on business. The staff were pleasant at reception and even more so in the restaurant. The food choice is different but after an initial feeling that I was going to struggle to find something I would like I actually quite enjoyed my meal. The restaurant was busy with a pleasant atmosphere with various large groups of friends meeting up. The room was comfortable although had some weird clutter. Clipboards and pencil sharpener on the wall! Very low bed albeit it was comfortable. Tin cups were just impossible to drink tea or coffee from too hot to hold. Lots to choose from the mini bar sweets biscuits popcorn chocolate in addition to the normal drink choices. Free bar of chocolate and a bottle of water was a nice touch. Jury is out on whether I will go again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank brownba
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Hey brownbag,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Ace Hotel London. It always great to get feedback from our guests. We were pleased to read that you found the hotel a change from the normal style of hotel and that you enjoyed your meal in Hoi Polloi.

We totally understand your point on the mugs and tumblers, and we are currently reviewing the possibility of an alternative as the last thing we would like to do is injure one of our guests.

We do hope that you will consider us next time you are back in London.

Thanks again

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Sleek, hip, fun, unconventional, easy going, stylish, etc. You could say a lot positive about the Ace. And it fits perfectly to the vibrant surroundings (Shoreditch). However, one usually seeks more than just fun in a hotel. Getting some decent sleep is almost impossible when your room is on the first floor overlooking busy Shoreditch High St.! We were so tired during the day because we could almost not sleep at night due to all the noise and light coming from outside. We had a lot of expectations after visiting the original Ace in Portland (Oregon), but unfortunately we felt pretty disappointed about our Ace London experience. Prices are not cheap at all and sound-proofing should be a priority for this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank giorgionet

Hey Giorgionet,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel. I am of course sad to read that you had a disturbed nights sleep.

The glazing of the windows is a challenge that we are looking to improve, we are located in a vibrant and exciting part of the city and the windows are double glazed but we totally take on board that the windows need to be looked at.

Thank you again for you taking the time to let us know about this issue and I can assure you that we will be looking to find a solution.

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights before Christmas.
For us it was a delightful double confirmation:
a year ago we spent the night in Shoreditch has confirmed that this wonderful area and slept 3 years ago 7 nights ACE Hotel in NYC where we fell in love .....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Hi, Thanks for staying with us in Ace London. Its so nice to hear that you fell in love in the Ace NY. Make sure you come back to see us.

The Staff at Ace London xoxo

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Had one if the basic doubles and although we didn't have a turntable. The room had this lovely aura about it. The bathroom was beautiful with soft fluffy towels, great toiletries and a very powerful shower.
The rooms are certainly not noisy at night and did feature air con.
The staff were all friendly and willing to attend to any requests.
Every detail seemed to have been thought about except for one thing; NO FREE WATER in the rooms! This must be the first time I haven't had a free bottle of water in a hotel for about five years, and as you can see, I stay in a lot of hotels!
Anyway, silly little gripe over, this a great hotel in a great, hip location that, in my opinion was reasonably priced for the quality.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, Many thanks for the 4 star review. Thank you for the compliment and feedback. We hope to see you again! xoxo

Reviewed 7 January 2014

When I review hotels on TripAdvisor I never rate a five-star hotel against a 3-star. I compare hotels based on similar experiences in the same category. I stayed here during a business trip with a large group and it was absolutely my worst experience while in the UK.

We hired someone who lived in London to find us a hotel that met the budget of our group of government and non-profit executives. From the very beginning the hotel misled us, did not fully reveal the extent of the renovations, and only showed the best rooms to our consultant. Some rooms did not have real windows but instead had opaque glass that made you feel like you were staying in an interior cabin on a cruise ship. It was claustrophobic! And when we asked about it they were unapologetic!

The desk staff were not locals so they were not helpful when it came to restaurant suggestions, directions, or transit information and they never seemed enthusiastic. They were never rude but I wouldn't call them friendly and in a city as large as London I really count on the hotel staff to give me some assistance, especially when I am travelling with a large group.

As for the booking staff, I have never dealt with people who were so unhelpful, unsympathetic to our situation, and at times, disrespectful.

There were a few good things: the location was fun, easy to walk to interesting restaurants (that we found on our own!) and nightlife. As it turns out, transit access was also excellent from this location but again, we discovered this on our own with the help of the transit staff and some friendly locals, not the hotel staff. The breakfast was generous with a fantastic selection, the room was clean, the view from the restaurant and rooftop patio was amazing. But given how poorly we were treated I would not recommend this hotel to others. I would instead look for another option in this interesting area. Renovations are never fun but that excuse for bad attitude. Better service and more honesty would have made this a better experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SkyboxTO
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Skybox TO,

Thank you for your recent review of the Ace London, It was interesting to read your comments in relation to your stay at the hotel as it was during the previous incarnation of the hotel.

A lot of the points that you have raised are valid and a lot of the reason why staff went through extensive local knowledge to ensure that they have a good working knowledge of the area and make great and interesting recommendations about restaurants or galleries in Shoreditch and the surrounding areas.

The refurbishment programme has been extensive and the hotel has been transformed into a place very much in tune with the Shoreditch area. The hotel is unrecognisable from the property that you stayed in back in June

We do hope that you come back and visit us in the future to see the changes that have taken place in the hotel.

Kind Regards,