“not sure it's a family hotel - perfect for staying with friends”

Ace Hotel London Shoreditch
Ranked #380 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 May 2014

i stayed here with my parents for a short break in london (we go to london often and really like the shoreditch area). it was well situated in a trendy part of shoreditch and had shoreditch overground station just around the corner. the main tube station nearby was liverpool street, this was great for getting everywhere quickly but it was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel - not too bad but when you were heading back from a day sightseeing it seemed longer! we didn't eat or drink here so i cant comment on that, but the room was cool and quirky and we were provided with a vinyl player with a few vinyls to play which was good. we also had a decent tv. i think this hotel would be better for me to go with friends (i'm 18) as there was a social, young vibe.

Room Tip: we had a room with 2 double beds which was great
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hey Fran,

Many Thanks for the 4 stars we really appreciate all comments made by our Guests. Its nice to hear that your a fan of London and love staying in the Shoreditch area. Next time you come and see us please check out the restaurant and our seasonal menu.

Much Love the Ace Team xoxo

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Well, if nightly live, loud music is your thing with hundreds of 20 something smoking drinking buddies milling about the lobby and bar every single night of your stay until 3am, this is your place! This is definitely in the hot, singles happening spot of London. In the evening, the area is swarming with young singles, waiting in line to get into one of the many bars in the area. As the evening wears on, I just want to duck for cover in a nice, softly lit restaurant or bar. There are a few in the area, such as the Callooh Callay on Rivington.
The founder of this hotel, Alex Calderwood--who tragically died of an overdose in this hotel last November--is clearly on to something, with successful hotels in Seattle, Portland, New York, and Palm Springs.
When I arrived, the registration desk attendants did everything to avoid contact. Finally, after waiting in line for several minutes, I had the lucky opportunity to have someone behind the desk acknowledge me. I was exhausted and just wanted to go to my room. They couldn't find my reservation, even though I produced all the paperwork, showing the "pre-paid" receipt for my stay.
The rooms are groovy stark with a third degree humming interrogation light bulb hanging above my bed for lighting. That is "cool" right? That said, my bed was very comfy. After they replaced my stained bed spread (gross), I was feeling much more at ease.
They edge on that "nickel and dime you for everything" feel, charging you $14 for "face cream." I thought body lotion was a baseline given in most any hotel? A cup of Americana coffee in their coffee shop is $7. Really? I finally got smart and walked down the street to Andina each morning and paid only $1.50 for a much, much better cup of coffee.
I am more in the camp of "EdanaSchul" reading her review and would have checked into another hotel, had my reservation not already been pre-paid. This place definitely resonates with a specific demographic, and it isn't me!

Room Tip: They are currently undergoing a renovation, avoid getting a room right on Shoreditch, as it will be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank emf465
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear emf465,

Thank you so much for your recent and very balanced review. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as it is the only way that we can improve our service.

I appreciate that our décor is not always to everyone's taste and like Shoreditch itself the hotel is very lively at times. However, there is no excuse for not being attentive and the fact that you felt ignored upon your arrival is totally not what we are about. as a hotel.

We like to welcome everyone and ensure that they are comfortable in their surrounding and given the best possible service. I was also shocked to read that there was a stained bedspread in the room. We take the cleanliness of all our areas very seriously and it is not acceptable that you room was not up to standard and for that I would like to sincerely apologise.

We totally understand that everyone has there own preferences and whilst the hotel, like Shoreditch attracts a certain demographic, we like to try to appeal to different people

We do hope that you will consider again in the future, especially once all of the works on the top floor are completed this summer.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Found the hotel to be very nice, liked the facilities and room. Was not pleased to be woken up by building work above us at 7am on a Saturday morning! We stayed on the 6th floor and apparently there is refurbishment work being carried out above. Appreciate this has to be done but I would expect a hotel to not allow anything to be undertaken at such an early hour. Complained to the duty manager who responded with 'they shouldn't be working at that time'. Was compensated with breakfast but would have preferred to have slept a little longer! Check if you're on the 6th floor!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank triplim

Hi Triplim,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Ace Hotel London. We always look forward to reading about what people think of our hotel.

I was upset to read the issue that you had with the construction work taking place early in the morning. There are set times for the works to take place which are after 10am. There have been occasions when works have started slightly earlier but have been stopped immediately by the hotel team. It is very disheartening to read that one of our team took such a apathetic approach to your concern. We will remind all of the team that they must consider guests feeling and while the construction team have a schedule to keep to, they cannot stray outside the agreed timings

Thanks again for your review and I hope we see you again at the Ace London

Reviewed 15 May 2014

When traveling solo comfort and an inviting environment are pretty important to me. The Ace Hotel,. as much as it has plenty of positives, just didn't hit the mark for me. I give it "big ups" for its quirky design and approach (on arrival in the hotel "lobby" it was akin to entering a somewhat surreal DJ pumping nightclub/cafe.... that is as best i can describe it. The sfatt were all great and the service was excellent, but on getting to my room after the strange lobby experience, i was a little disappointed to discover how cold and uninviting it was - too much grey and blue and Ikea style touches for me I'm afraid. That's not to say that this isn't a great hotel for people who like this sort of thing.... I checked into another hotel the next day, and the staff were really great about it too (so I praise them for that!). I'm not sure Shoreditch as an area is for me either... Sorry Ace Hotel, some great things about everything your doing, just not to my style and taste!

Room Tip: Im sure that a bigger room / suite may be nice but my room was pretty cramped - try asking for one o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EdanaSchul
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Hi EdanaSchul,

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. WE totally understand that some of our décor may not be for everyone but the team here will always go out of there way to be as friendly and helpful as possible.

Shoreditch is a fantastic area, it has plenty of history but not necessarily all of the tourist attractions of the West End. However there are so many interesting galleries, restaurants and shops to try out. If you do think about returning to the east end of town please let us know we would be more than happy to point you in the direction of some of Shoreditch's hidden gems!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great hotel and good location close to everything, Spitalfields, Liverpool Street, Islington. I was worried the hotel would be a bit basic, I had stayed in the the Ace Portland and it felt a bit style of substance... but this was not, I had booked a double double and it came with a large sofa too, plenty of space, good shower, clean. I was in London for my hen do so the club underneath the hotel was good for a few drinks when we got back late as the bar was closed. The staff are friendly, down to earth and efficient and I would definitely stay here again. Highly recommend it. My best London hotel experience in quite sometime.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thanks for the 5 stars! We are glad to read that you liked the style of the hotel and even happier to read that you have stayed at our other hotel.

Make sure you check out the rest because all are unique!

Love the Ace Team.

xoxo

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Right on the mix and a great hotel...all the finer things that make a night away from home enjoyable.
Good staff and very friendly!! Bar and resteraunt are both top standard.
Love the Wings and Horn bathrobes plus the APC bed throw. Definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We do try our best to be friendly and make the guest feel at home and its nice to read that it works. We sell all of our products on the Ace website so feel free to have a look.

Do come back and stay guys!

The Ace Team xoxo

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Room was spacious and full of quirky stuff including a record player
Staff very warm and friendly - had great local knowledge
Adjoining coffee shop sells best Latte ever!
Would definitely recommend stay again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Many Thanks for the review and the stars. We also love our staff and so its lovely to read that the guests feel the same.

Make sure you come back!

xoxo