“Too cool for comfort”

Ace Hotel London Shoreditch
Ranked #380 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Booked a room at the Ace Hotel Shoreditch during a business trip to London. The boxes of tired-looking plants by the entrance made the place look a bit like a garden centre, and the black and grey decor around the reception is a bit grim. Receptionist was very friendly but too overfamiliar to be considered professional. The room was as described on the website but the items for sale, in baskets, clipped to the wall etc became a bit tedious. £7 for a cardboard folder! A Pot Noodle and a Curly Wurly, more naff than nostalgic. The record turntable was on the price list but not in the room, and the condom, free-of-charge,was not in the basket; not that I needed it but the noises through the thin walls suggested that the couple next door may have found theirs! When I turned down the bed I saw a tear in the middle of the bottom sheet. If I could see it that easily, why couldn't Housekeeping when they made the bed? I knew it would be uncomfortable to sleep on and was likely to tear further. There wasn't a price listed for the sheet but I expected to be expensive! I couldn't get an answer from Houesekkeping on the telephone but eventually got an answer from Reception and asked for the sheet to be changed. After about ten minutes a young woman arrived with a clipboard and challenged me about "the dirty sheet". I explained and showed her the torn sheet and she left the room assuring me that Housekeeping would be along soon; which duly they did and remade the bed with a fresh sheet. As it was a business trip, I tried to work. The round table had a wobbly top and the chair was pretty uncomfortable. I tried to move the table to be able to sit on the couch but the lamp hangs directly over the table and won't retract so the table has to stay where it is. The wifi was ok but the TV didn't respond to the remote and would only show Channel 4 or the set up menu. To be honest, I was relieved to be called away due to an urgent business matter and not have to stay the night. A very expensive and disappointing experience, not worth the £418!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris E
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Chris E,

Thank you for your recent review of the Ace Hotel London. We always look forward to reading about our guests feedback from their stay.

We were disappointed that you were not a fan of the décor of the hotel but everyone has their opinion and we know that the design of the hotel may not be everyone's cup of tea !

However your comments about the condition of the linen and the response from the member of the Housekeeping team are really concerning and we are currently investigating this matter so that the correct action can be taken.

We would like to thank you again for your constructive feedback we would like to assure you that we always use such valuable feedback to improve these glitches in service.

Thanks again

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Vintage is the trend. So the Ace Hotel owners though they'd give it a crack... Should you happen to be a Jim Jarmusch ("Only lovers left alive")'s fan : here is the place. For would-be vampires, for flip-falp toed Australians, for gorgeous cuties in their Saturday night's best, for elders not short of illusions, for witches and managers, and even if you are no fan of Jarmusch. Ike & Tina Turner's LPs were expecting me in my room, along with Dickens' hardback "Tale of Two Cities" and a bottle of Argentinian La Flor Malbec red wine. The first for gracious and respectful enjoyment through an internet radio, the others for sale, like an extraordinary coffee available downstairs to be ground and taken home with you. Works of art in every room and unique London magazines. Most friendly bathroom and a cloud for a bed. And an incredibly helpful front-desk team. Careful ! You may miss the entrance : it looks like a flower shop, then a theater garde-robe where to leave your coat... Shakes and juices in the morning (Viridian : kale, fennel, squash, wild greens or Coral : cauliflower, pepper, carrot, apple), pistachio & olive cake in the afternoon, highly recommendable (and affordable) cocktails and midnight supper at the Hoi Polloi, a lively modernist brasserie. Only setback (if you grew up in the countryside) : the lack of air in the rooms. To look forward to (Summer 2014) : the rooftop terrace.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hey,

Many Thanks for the review! Its nice to read that you had the chance to try out most of our outlets and enjoy them. The Front Office Team work so hard and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

We do hope you get to come back and have a look at the seventh floor which will be open so very soon.

The Ace Team xoxo

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Yes, the Ace Hotel is extra hipster and cool, but everyone who works there was so attentive, kind and eager to help. Loved the look and feel of the hotel and our room was quite comfortable. Loved the Shoreditch area and getting around London wasn't too difficult. I traveled with my husband and we are in our early 30's and felt like it was the perfect area for our demographic. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again if we return to London in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ALiR1228

Hey,

Thank you for such a lovely review in regards to our staff. We do really care about of guests and we want them to feel looked after and most of all feel at home.

We do hope you return!

xoxo

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had stayed at the Ace Hotel in New York and were curious about this new addition to the Ace palette. It's a very hip, trendy hotel, but you don't have to be hip, trendy or young to stay here (we aren't). The bar and reception area is very lively and full of people from all over -- not just the hotel. There's live entertainment down below that we didn't take advantage of but it looked well-attended. Restaurants in the neighborhood are good and there are lots to choose from. There's still a bit of reconstruction going on but nothing too annoying; the staff is very helpful and energetic. The hotel is close to all kinds of good transportation, like Shoreditch High Street Station and Liverpool Street Station. This neighborhood is going through a lot of positive changes. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ToujoursProvence

Hey,

Many Thanks for the 4 starts we really appreciate any feedback from out guests. Its a shame you did not get to see the downstairs space but it just means you need to come back.

Love the Ace Team xoxo

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked this after reading a great review from the Daily Mail. It's nice enough but it is lacking smething. Don't get me wrong, the staff are pleasant and helpful but something's not quite there yet.
We booked a deluxe double, very clean, modern and quirky. We weren't disturbed by any noise at all on the 4th floor (save for a few rolling kegs at 7am). We tried a room service breakfast which is expensive but we were happy to pay to not have to rush out. The order was slightly wrong but seeing as hubby had already tucked in, I was done for!
Couple of points, constructive points:-). Tea and coffee was limited and it didn't seem to be kept behind reception, we had to wait on delivery to the room - don't be so stingy, we ended up going to Tesco because we felt a bit demanding asking for more than two milk jiggers to at least cover the bottom of the mug. Hotel information, maps, useful bits are lacking in the room - it doesn't have to affect the style, just cwtch it away somewhere. The snacks and drinks, the Pot Noodle was gone off, the crisps were that day and it was all dusty. I didn't plan on eating any of it but someone needs to check. And other than the kettle not fitting under the tap, I have nothing else bad to say.
It is cool, very cool but don't go there if you want spoiling.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank caroline19790

Hi Caroline19790,

Thank you so much for writing a review on Tripadvisor about the Ace Hotel London. We always love to heard peoples' feedback on our hotel. For us all feedback is positive.

We totally get your point about the tea and coffee in the room and we will look at being more generous with this, we know that that first tea or coffee is so important in the morning. We were really disappointed to read that the pot noodle in the room was out of date. Our minibar team check the rooms on a daily basis and normally any product nearing expiry are removed so we are so sorry that there was an oversight on this occasion.

We do hope that you will return back to us in the very near future and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a weekend in London for the Chelsea Flower Show. The hotel is very near Liverpool St. Station with direct access on the Circle Line to Sloane sq. Station.
The hotel is very different to any hotel I have stayed in before but very interesting throughout. We stayed on the 4th floor in room 413 which was a lovely room with two double beds which for me was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in when staying in a hotel. The pillows were also very comfortable.
.My only real problem was that we were not able to open the windows even though we asked the staff at the front desk. We had to sleep with the airconditioning on all night which for me is not ideal as I sleep with a window open all the time. Maybe the management might look into finding a solution for this? Also when making tea or coffee the mugs handles became too hot to hold without using a tissue, this is quite dangerous.
Apart from these two issues we really enjoyed our stay in the hotel and loved the quirkiness of it all ! The staff were excellent and very friendly and service second to none. The rooms were very clean and well equipped with hairdryer, kettle, iron and mini fridge. All in all a great stay in a cool hotel !!

Room Tip: Room at the side on the 4th floor, no noise heard at all.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Jamie W, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2015

Thanks so much for your review.

See you again soon I hope!

Jamie

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Spent 2 nights at the ace hotel for business this week. I'm not hip, cool, young or trendy but I LOVED this hotel. It's a breath of fresh air and has a great energy. I expected that this would mean that the service would fall short of more traditional hotels - but this wasn't the case at all. Staff and service were OUTSTANDING. On arrival, There was a problem with my room, the pipes behind my room were really noisy - it was late, and I was grumpy, tired and impatient due to a seriously unpleasant back problem, but the staff moved me to another floor. They brought the key for me and helped me with my bags to the new room.

Bed was very comfortable, I had a good nights sleep, my room was quiet, air con worked well, all good. I liked the lobby vibe - and particularly like the laptop area for single travellers - it makes it very easy to be relaxed in the main bar / lobby without feeling awkward. I felt that there were many thoughtful touches like that throughout the hotel - like the electric plug socket in the breakfast booths - so that you can charge up and work whilst taking breakfast.

Staff remember you on the second day - and remember what you ordered the day before - very impressive - you feel like they're INTERESTED in the quality of your stay - genuinely.
On leaving, I was asked by the duty manager if everything was okay due to me having to move rooms on arrival. Not prompted by me - that was a very nice touch. This level of service is throughout the hotel. When returning for my stored bag, the attendant caught my eye, remembered which bag was mine and had it ready for me before I reached the other side of the lobby - they really are INTERESTED.

I suspect this hotel could get VERY busy at weekends in the lobby - we were midweek, and I loved it.... Thanks Ace x

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hey TJW,

Many Thanks for that amazing review and I will be sure to pass this on to all staff. Its so nice to read that the staff here at Ace really do care about our guests and they want to go the extra mile to make everyone's stays perfect.

We also provide the best beds and everyone is granted a good nights sleep!!

Please come back to see us,

The Ace Team xoxo