“Don't be fooled by the Ace brand”

Ace Hotel London Shoreditch
Ranked #336 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by the Ace brand”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent a night at The Ace Hotel as my Shoreditch hotel of choice was fully booked.

Upon check-in, I was invited to "go check out the vibes while my crib is being inspected". CRINGE.

The problem is that with a price tag of £350 for a standard room comes a level of expectations such as professionalism, flawless service and comfort. None of these were met.

- Sloppy service
I was given a room on the 6th floor. There was drilling in the room next door as well as upstairs. To make things worse, wifi didn't work. I rang reception to see if I could get a new room. After close to an hour of waiting around, I went downstairs to follow up and was informed that wifi simply doesn't work on the 6th floor. I was then offered a chance to pick a room on the second, third or fourth floor.

Now, if the hotel is half empty, why would an experienced staff put guests on a floor being renovated with no access to wifi?

- Lack of professionalism
As mentioned, most staff came across as too cool for school and unexperienced.

- Poor finish
Beyond the lobby, the hotel isn't slick or polished. The shell of the old Crowne Plaza it was built on is still very present, which gives it a corporate and dated feel.

- Average rooms
I expected a boutique hotel look & feel and got an IKEA showroom. There's some obvious design flaws that haven't been addressed. For example, the AC unit was so loud that I thought I was in an A380. The AC also made the blinds vibrate, causing constant light flickering throughout the night.

Based on my experience (and judging by the amount of negative reviews), the Ace Shoreditch team has a lot of work to get done to deliver an experience that lives up to the Ace brand. In the meantime, do yourself a favour and book a room at The Shoreditch House or The Boundary around the corner.

5 Thank Tripandvisor
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Tripadvisor,

Thank you for your open and honest review of the Ace Hotel London, I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay and that you felt that the hotel was not reflective of our sister properties in the US.

I would like to assure you that the team here in Shoreditch will continue to work hard to develop the hotel to ensure that it lives us to the fantastic name that Ace has.

Thank you for your insightful comments on the front desk, every member of the team has there own welcome as we believe in allowing the team to express their personality so the welcome is not contrived but genuine. If one of the guys uses expressions that are considered cringeworthy or inappropriate we will of course address this.

You are of course correct that as there is the final stages of work on our event space on the 7th floor if there are rooms on lower floors these should be offered as standard. It was interesting to read about the wifi being out on the 6th floor as this is not generally the case but we are investigating the issue today to ensure that it is fully functioning.

I would like to thank you for your comments about the AC system, this is not something that we have experienced but our Housekeeping team are carrying out a full audit of all rooms to identify if there any further rooms within the hotel which are experiencing the same issue in order to ensure that our Engineering team resolve the matter quickly.

I would like to thank you for your review and we totally appreciate the feedback that you have given.

Thanks again

Martin and the Ace Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a very pleasant hotel near Central London. Its staff are without exception excellent and really made the hotel for us. The food was very good, the rooms were very comfortable. The only things we didn't like was the very expensive clutter for sale in the room and the absence of any body lotion unless you paid for it. In a 5 star hotel, this was disappointing. We had a quiet room on the back and I was pleased we accepted this offer as the location of the hotel meant that it would be very busy on the front for most of the night. We thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea in our room (at the same price as we would have had it downstairs) and our Sunday breakfast. We had a party discount which made the night very reasonable. Rack rent was high.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have the views but are noisy and those on the back are quiet but have a back stre...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hi Roggp 46,

Thank you for your recent review of the Ace Hotel Shoreditch, we were chuffed to read that you enjoyed your stay. It is very true that the rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter then those at the front so we thank you for sharing that insight.

We are really pleased that you found the staff around the hotel really friendly , they all work really hard to look after our guests.

We do hope that you will be back next time you are back down in London

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I loved my experience at the Ace all the way, from coffee in the coffee lo unge and inside the restaurant to unforgettable breakfasts and tasty dinners! Staff is friendly although a bit unexperienced, but very kind! The Rooms are wonderful and all details are unique, you can see a lot of this attention in all the corners, from details of the brown envelopes in recycled paper to the snacks baskets. Design&artisan at the Same time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi Oana U,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we love it when people take the time to write about their experience with us.

We are so happy that you loved the coffee, Bulldog Edition definitely serves one of the best coffees on this side of town!

Thanks again for your review and we do hope we see you very soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I treated my husband to dinner at hoi polloi followed by an overnight stay here. We had an awesome time and we're really impressed. Lovely lovely staff. Gorgeous food and fabulous bloody Marys. Uber cool and great for people watching but not too pretentious. The rooms on the road side are a bit noisy, but cool urban views. Get a back room though if you need a good sleep. Only criticism would be it's a tiny bit mean spirited for a hotel of such calibre to make you pay for Everything! No complimentary water, no biscuits, literally everything in the place is charged for! Still, maybe it's just us, and we'll definitely go back.

Hi Angiolina C,

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We totally understand your comment about items in the room, there are items which are free to guests such as coffee and tea but are highlighting the other items so that there are no hidden charges for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and we hope to see you very soon

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Brilliant service, nice bar downstairs, friendly vibe, guitars in room, lovely decor, I could go on! Hotel is close to everything, nice bars, restaurants etc! The reception staff are polite, attentive and generally make you feel very welcome! Hats off.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi jaredlauralouis,

Wow a statement we are so proud that we are the best hotel you have stayed in and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We love it when people have a fantastic time with us, thank you for putting a huge smile on our faces.

We hope to see you soon when you are back in town.

Martin & The Ace London Team
UK
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I recently stayed for 3 nights at the ACE London for a short cultural trip to the city. Working in the creative industry means Shoreditch is always a location of choice for me, full of galleries, bookshops and great shops and close to the tube and buss links to the rest of the city. This hotel fits like a glove into this area and they have understood their clientele and their needs perfectly. The lobby, restaurant and rooms are stocked with the latest cultural magazines and lifestyle journals for example.

I was lucky to be able to take advantage of a great 30% offer when booking 3 nights or more and paying upfront (if you prefer not to pay upfront you save 15%). A great deal through the hotel's website. This made it much more in line with the prices of what I believe to be their closest competitor, The Hoxton, a few streets down.

I stayed at the ACE last September when it opened but didn't review my stay due to the hotel not being fully open. I wanted to experience the full offering before forming a complete opinion. Having stayed at the ACEs in Palm Springs and New York prior to the London opening, which were both fantastic in their own right, the London ACE is my favourite. Its decor and attitude are very London but still with trademark ACE wit and style.

Service at check in was very good; very friendly. I'd arrived before the 2pm check in time to drop off my bags and then check in later but the lady at the desk quickly checked the rooms and checked me in early which was great. She also asked my preference to which side of the hotel I stayed on specifying the back of the hotel was quieter but without a city view and the front had a view over the city but tended to be noisier particularly with me staying over the weekend. This was a nice touch and I chose the former which was indeed quiet.

I booked a deluxe double which was lovely. Spacious and comfortable, with a long sofa/day bed along the back wall and with lots of lovely design pieces, such as the A.P.C. custom made patch work denim quilt on the bed, Falcon enamelware mugs and super comfortable jersey robes. Since my last stay they have added lots of amenities to the bathrooms (wipes, lip balm, bath salt, headache tablets etc), which aren't complimentary but a nice touch for those who may need them and not want to pop out to buy their own. The large Rudy's Barbershop toiletries in the bathroom are excellent. Some have complained the big dispenser bottles aren't very 4 star hotel, however I personally think this is great. The tiny bottles you get in other hotels are never up to much!

I had breakfast in the restaurant Hoi Polloi twice, which on both occasions was excellent. Full English the first time and pancakes the second. Again, all with lots of attention to detail. A beautiful space, just the right balance of relaxed and formal; the dusty bronze, Bauhaus style teapots and serving accompaniments were a stunning touch. I was very lucky, having breakfast over the weekend, to experience the amazing house string quartet playing in the centre of the restaurant as guests dined. Such a nice touch. I hope this is something that happens regularly. My only gripe was during my second visit; I was offered some water by the waitress as I sat down but this never came! Shame as the rest of the service was excellent.

The only problem I faced with my room during my stay was the television stopped working on the second day. I called down several times to the front desk but didn't get an answer so I had to go down to speak to someone. I saw the staff were attending to several people checking in, which is completely understandable but it would be good to have a message on the line to tell you that you're not just being ignored! Other guests might get really annoyed by this. Upon reporting the problem however, someone did help straight away, and came up personally to reboot the TV for me.

A few suggestions I think would make this a perfect 5 star score would be to have complimentary water in the rooms and fresh milk. There were only 2 tiny pots of UHT milk in the mini bar which is barely enough for one cup of tea or coffee (and frankly UHT milk is awful!) If I was staying with someone else, this is no where near enough if you want to make more than one drink. More and more hotels are doing this that it is becoming standard; the Hoxton has been offering this for years and is a nice touch for guests.

Finally, I noticed on the wall directory by the lifts that there was a gym and sauna in the basement... this is not something I was told about or read about on the ACE's website. They should sell this in more to customers and make them more aware of the facilities available to guests.

Overall though, a fantastic hotel and a thoroughly enjoyable 3 night stay. Will definitely come back and recommend to others, particularly if they keep offering great deals like the one I took advantage of!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hi CMillas,

Thank you so much for your review, we really appreciate it when people take the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay in particular the welcome of the Front Desk team as well our Restaurant Hoi Polloi.

We are sorry to hear that your TV did not work on the second day, and you were unable to get through to the front desk. We will ensure that this is not repeated but thank you for highlighting this.

Your comment about the amount of coffee is really great point and we have doubled the amount of coffee, tea, sugar and milk in the rooms as we all need that cuppa first thing in the morning!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again soon

Martin & The Ace London Team
London
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel is perfectly located for central and eastern London. It's very modern and a bit hipster but not in the pretentious and intimidating way that other places in Shoreditch are. There's no arrogance here and every member of staff is super helpful and friendly. From the welcoming guys on the door to the desk staff, coffee shop team and breakfast and bar servers. I've stayed a lot in the US and it seems that the immaculate customer service has rubbed off on the team here (special thanks goes to Maxine). Breakfast choice is way more than you expect and everything we had was great. Rooms are comfy and added touches of record players, vinyl and guitars makes a nice change from the norm. All in all, this is a great place to stay and I will definitely be recommending it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hey HolibopsLondon,

Thanks a million for your fab review! we love hearing from anyone who has stayed with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff were super friendly and helpful, they to hear it when they have made someone's stay.

We hope to see you again soon when you are back in town