“Re-enjoying”

Ranked #698 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Aarhus, Denmark
“Re-enjoying”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

When you go back to the same hotel within less than a year's time, that really indicates a satisfied customer. This time again, we had the nicest time in this middle-of-life situated small cosy hotel. Due to the crowded season, there was some misunderstanding in the type of the room we had requested for, and so the first night's sleep was almost all ruined owing to the wobbly soft bed for two; but then the next day we were moved to its annexe big room with twin firm beds. The breakfast has improved since the last time. If you are carrying big heavy bags, be ready to take those up to your room negotiating through narrow steep stairs - oh my knees....

Room Tip: Annexe rooms are wonderful, and avoid room 8 which is too small and dark
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Turkish first
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My room was very small - stated to be a double for single occupation - but really was what you'd expect for a small single. The decor was almost non-existent with no frills in the room although TV and a small kettle were provided. The wardrobe was very wobbly, the bathroom was clean but the fully tiled floor looked like it had not seen any bleach for some time. The lavatory seat and other fittings seemed to be the cheapest that could be found. In general the hotel seemed not to have had any upgrade apart from some new paint on the walls since the mid-1980's. The whole place shows a significant lack of investment over the last several years. Breakfast was served in the small basement restaurant room and was quite adequate but I would say no more than that. The room was surprisingly quiet with no internal noise, the bed was comfortable but unfortunately a neighbour started on his d.i.y. at 4am, which spoiled things a bit!
I try to be honest in my reviews and with that in mind I would not recommend this hotel as good enough for a break with your significant other, particularly for a romantic few days. If all you want is a bed for the night in a very good location then it would be ok. You certainly wouldn't want to spend much time in your room.
The Seven Dials area is a vibrant and diverse place and would make a good location for any visit to the centre of London. There are some good bars / restaurants, shops and pubs within walking distance. This hotel is ideally situated, but parking may be a problem due to the one-way and pedestrianised roads.
I wouldn't have been quite so hard on this hotel if I thought I'd had a bargain, but £120 a night for effectively a single room with a double bed sounds a bit expensive to this country yokel. I have had very much better from the likes of Premier Inn in London recently for not much more. Would I stay here again? I wouldn't dismiss it, but this wouldn't be my first choice next time.

Room Tip: Street noise could be a problem so ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Leicester, England
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Have just come back from a 4 night stay at this hotel with my husband. Before booking I had read the hotel's website and comments from people who had previously stayed here so had a good idea what to expect. The room was small but had everything we needed and both the bedroom and en suite were spotlessly clean and there was always hot water and everything worked. One side of the bed was up against the wall but this did not bother us but could be a problem to older or less mobile people. We only once met anyone on the stairs but it did not cause a problem for us to back up to the landing. The staff were all very friendly and the English breakfast was excellent. The location was great and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tweetie44
San Jose, California
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I took my mom for her first trip to the UK. We arrived at the Seven Dials hotel, and were taken aback by the itty bitty lobby. But hotels over there are small. We were then told that our room was on the 4th floor (which is UP 4 floors, so really it's the 5th floor.) There is a tiny spiral staircase, with narrow stairs and no handrail. My mom is 63 and disabled. We were not given any warning. After failing to find a room elsewhere, we were forced to stay here. Mom did her very best to handle the stairs, but it was tremendously dangerous and painful, and took forever. The room was tiny, but it has two windows that opened a few inches. I decided that I couldn't allow my my to navigate those stairs, so when the front desk girl offered my a room down 2 floors, we took it. We were lead down a very narrow hallway (after hauling our bags down the stairs) that i really think had been recently re-varnished or something, because it was the most toxic air I've ever breathed, and into a closet... I mean, "room," with one window that didn't open, and faced a BRICK WALL. I sat down and tried to get acclimated, but ended up having a pretty severe claustrophobic meltdown. We ended up going back to the top floor.
SO- if you really want to stay here- consider these things. Have one very light bag, no physical restrictions whatsoever, terrific balance, and tolerance of tiny spaces with restricted, toxic air.
Oh, and the one girl that speaks English is only there once a week.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room. Ask for a functional window with a view other than a brick wall.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank xxDeebsxx

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We have recently stayed at this hotel whilst visiting london to see the jersey boys . It is a small clean friendly hotel .we found the breakfast buffet to be good and filling. The rooms are small but we didn't go to london to sit in our room all day . The room was spotlessly clean and towels were changed everyday .The tea and coffee was replenished daily the only problem is there is no lift so any one with walking difficulty would find it tiring to climb the narrow steep staircase .You pay for the location here it's right in the middle of the theatres shops and a 2 minute walk to convent garden . For the price we paid I think it was very reasonable .We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely book to stay here again . I don't know why some of the reviews were bad . If you want luxury and big bedrooms go elsewhere. If you want clean ,friendly and a place to lay your head after seeing the sights of london this is the place for you .Well done seven dials hope to see you in the future

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for the back rooms .i imagine the front rooms are noisy .Hey it's l...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arnoldino
WASHINGTON
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Great location within an easy walk from Leicester Square underground. Stayed for one night and thought it was a good deal at GBP 115 booked through booking.com. Room is very small but did have a small, flat screen tv, coffee service, small wardrobe, and bathroom. The double bed took up most of the space in the room. The room was located on the fourth floor--be forewarned, there are no elevators and the staircase is very small. The breakfast was good though limited. The girls who worked the breakfast were very nice and took great care to ensure that everything was kept well stocked.

Room Tip: If walking up flights of stairs is an issue, request a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

But don't bring your cat if you are prone to swinging it - the rooms aren't big enough for that. Small sized double room that proved fine for 2 people for 2 nights. We were on the top floor (3) but the stairs were no drama, sounded worse than they were. Good English breakfast and toast. Nice family run place and gay friendly.

• Stayed April 2013