“Perfect for What We Wanted”
Review of Seven Dials Hotel

and 1 more site!
Seven Dials Hotel
Ranked #705 of 1,069 Hotels in London
UK
“Perfect for What We Wanted”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I went there for an anniversary break sans kids! From the outset, when I called to ask something, the lady I spoke to was extremely helpful. As I told her it was for our anniversary, she explained that the hotel was not at all fancy and was I sure that I wanted that for an anniversary stay. Well that honesty and integrity had me hooked! I basically said that at long as the room was clean and had an en suite and the breakfast was good, that was all we needed - we didn't intend to be in there very long anyway.

The room was spotless - the white sheets nearly hurt your eyes they were so clean. It was small but Travel Lodge standards and I understand it wasn't the smallest, but we were prepared so in actual fact were pleasantly surprised. The en suite was spotless too, with beautiful white towels.
The bed was very comfortable, and the TV, hairdryer and kettle all worked!
The breakfast was a buffet full English, which was refilled continuously.

The staff are so friendly and cheerful not matter what time of the day or night.

I was unlucky enough to have a tummy bug on the last night/morning and they were happy to let me stay in the room for longer than usual leaving time until it settled down.
As has been said it is right in the middle of where you want to be for theatre land. It was a ten minute walk from Warhorse and 5 from We Will Rock You. Matilda is at the end of the road and Jersey Boys not much further!
There are loads of restaurants in the same road, Italian, French, Hotel Chocolat....... honestly, you'll never starve!! It really reminded us of staying in Paris!

We had a double en suite with Breakfast for £105 a night. (At the back of the hotel for a quiet nights sleep). We have also found out they have an annex which has some family rooms for, at the time of writing this, £155 per night B&B.

If you want to be 'where it's all that' and can go for an small, character hotel with lovely helpful staff - then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room so it is not noisy. The view isn't great but it's virtually silent at ni...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LeggyUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night. We were in London to see a show. The hotel was in a brilliant place, just round the corner from the theatre and the restaurant we needed to be at, and everywhere else was in easy walking distance for us. We paid ��105 for one night in double en suite which included breakfast and that was by far the cheapest for being so close to Leicester square. We only used the room for somewhere to sleep so the room size was not an issue.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chenequa21
Oslo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The toilet was separated from the room by .. nothing! Not even a curtain. So as in a prison cell, you make your business in the same room where you sleep, drink coffee and watch tv. The room was also very small.

I stayed at number nine. It was on the third floor without lift. It seemed clean.The staff was nice, I didn't try the breakfast. I slept well.

On the plus side, it is fantastically central in the Covent Garden district, a few steps from everything.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brainspin
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The advantages of this hotel are its location (close to Covent Garden, short walk to CG tube stop, major sights) and it's relatively decent price. If you're coming from the LHR, you can take the Piccadilly line right to Covent Garden tube stop and walk ~3 blocks to the hotel. This trip takes about an hour. If, as another review says, all you're looking for is a bed and a bath, then this is an ok place. However, there are some things to be aware of before you book a room.

#1 - no elevator, only a narrow, steep winding staircase up to the rooms. I was on the top (4th) floor and it was a long haul up. If you have a big bag, this is not the hotel for you. If you aren't able to carry your bag up multiple flights, I'd suggest you move on to another hotel. Also, in the US we call the ground floor the 1st floor. In the UK, ground floor = 0 and the first floor is a flight up. So, the 4th floor is up 4 sets of stairs.

#2: In my recent stay, I had a teeny tiny shower in my room and a teeny tiny sink. The toilet was down the hall. The amenities are very sparse, small and may not be conveniently located.

#3: The rooms are small. If you are a big person, or are traveling as a couple and you want some space, this isn't the hotel for you. "Small" is the norm for London rooms (unless you pay big bucks) but my room only had space for a bed a desk chair, a tiny table and a wardrobe.

#4: They do offer breakfast in the morning, included in the room fee. Breakfast was fried eggs, bacon, sausage, canned stewed tomatoes, brown beans and white / brown toast. Also there were 2 types of dried cereal and OJ. No fruit, no fresh veg, nothing that you could snack on later. It was all either fried or canned. Definitely filling but not exactly healthy.

But, on the bright side, the staff are very friendly and pleasant.

Will I go back again? I'm not sure. I usually pack very light but hauling even a small suitcase up 4 flights left me with many bruises and aching arms. If I can get a room on a lower floor, I may stay there again. If my only choice is the 3rd or 4th floor, I will look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lower floors to reduce trips up / down stairs with luggage.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dorcas K
fife
Reviewed 22 September 2013

this hotel is fine if all you are looking for is a bed no luxuries at all bring ur own shower gel and shampoo none are provided its basically a large cupboard with a very small double bed ,,small wardrobe ,and small tv on the wall i was at the back of the hotel with views of old pipes really horrible actually on the plus side the location is excellent ,its clean.and the breakfast is fine .as long as your not planning to spend a lot of time in your room its fine.id probably stay here again purely for its location

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I wanted a nice, safe, comfortable, reasonably-priced place to stay within walking distance to London's major attractions, and that's exactly what I got!
The rooms are tiny and there is no elevator, but I knew that when I made the reservation. So I wasn't surprised, and I didn't complain, when I walked the four flights of stairs up to my tiny room lol! If you need a big room, or if you can't walk up stairs, then don't stay here. Those things aren't important to me, and so I loved the place!
Here's what I loved:
1. Location. I took a double-decker bus tour during the day, and a Beatles van tour in the evening. Both met at Trafalgar Square, which was a five-minute walk from the hotel. The following day I shopped around Picadilly, again a five-minute walk away.
2. Price. With tax, my bill came to $150 for the night. Any place else in that area started at $400.
3. Accomodations. They had everything I needed, and the place was clean and well-kept. Yes, the room was tiny, but since I stayed at home when I went to college, I simply pretended that this was the dorm experience I never had, and that made me feel young again. Bonus.
4. Staff. There were two different women, both from Poland, who were at the front desk during my stay. Both were very kind and knowledgeable, and they helped me immensely with all my "first time in London" questions.
5. Food. The included breakfast was a great to start out the day, and there are plenty of places to eat in the immediate vicinity. I chose a nice, inexpensive, vegetarian restaurant one street over called "Food for Thought" and it was very good. For nightlife there are plenty of pubs, and I found one a couple streets over in Soho, the American Diner, that had free wifi.
Overall, I wanted a nice place with a good price right in the heart of everything, and that's what the Seven Dials was for me!
Beatles Bonus: The Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, worked two doors down from this hotel - look for the plaque which marks the spot!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We approached our stay with a little trepidation - but found our triple room to be a good size and spotlessly clean. The room was stuffy - but it was hot outside so that was to be expected. Staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was good.

the stairs up to the top floor are very narrow - and the main road adjoining the property is noisy - but the location is absolutely fantastic. In this context we felt we had excellent value for money - we'd stay again.

Room Tip: try for a room at the back of the building - and not on the top floor (it's a long way up!)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family