“Excellent experience”
Review of The Main House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Main House
Ranked #56 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Main House. The rooms had a lot of charm. The bed was very comfortable. The location was perfect for our purposes: the Tube station was less than 10 minutes away, there were nice restaurants close by and a grocery store a few blocks away. Caroline and Liisa were perfect hostesses and we loved morning coffee delivered to our room. She even arranged for a car service to take us to the airport. We'd definitely stay here again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We had great expectations for the Main House. The location is brilliant and couldn't be better. When we arrived Caroline greeted us very graciously. Our room was on the top floor. It was clean. And the bathroom was always cleaned. There were some disappointments however. The room wasn't vacuumed the entire week we were there; the towels were rather thin and not changed either; the bed linens weren't changed (and I wouldn't expect daily changes at a B&B - but perhaps once in the middle of the stay would have been appreciated); and the mattress was poor giving no support. The only soap made available appeared to be watered down liquid soap - maybe it wasn't watered down but the consistency was curious. (We bought some soap.) Our last night we arrived back to the house and the owner was having a party - no problem there - she is the owner - she should be able to have a party. But the front hallway was thick with cigarette smoke which dissipated somewhat, but was still very present by the fourth floor. I am very allergic to cigarette smoke and spent a sleepless coughing night. Truly not what we expected. Such as shame.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank oliverc
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Main House is top of my list. Caroline and team are wonderfully welcoming and gracious hosts and create a home away from home environment.They take care of all the "essentials": taxis from the airport; the best cup of tea in the morning; recommendations for new restaurants to try around Portobello and Westbourne Grove. The rooms are comfortable, beautifully furnished and very spacious. And it has a fantastic location. My parting words to Caroline as I left were: "Don't change a thing." And I mean it. I've been twice this year to stay at the Main House and I am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Allison M
Reviewed 30 November 2013

When we initially wanted to stay at the Main House after reading the rave reviews, we learned they were already booked, but Caroline was gracious enough to give us a personally written (with her own comments about the places) extensive list of alternative places to stay, while keeping us on a cancellation list. Within a couple days, she emailed us that our dates had come available, and even tho I had made another reservation at a hotel, cancelled it to stay at the Main House, and it what a great decision it was! From the first moment there, the hosts were friendly, gracious and accommodating to making our stay very memorable. Caroline arranged our driver from the airport, gave us maps, a local phone and lots of ideas of what to do, how to get around, etc. Lisa came in every morning with hot tea made to our liking and specifications, right down to the time we wanted it delivered. The rooms are impeccable and so homey that we felt right at home. After traveling many hours from Alaska, to have such a wonderful welcome and cozy, comfortable place to stay was such a gift! I highly recommend the Main House, unless you're traveling when I plan to be there, as I don't want to miss having my room available because you're in it…just kidding…enjoy!!

Room Tip: Every room is great, unless stairs are an issue for you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rrdesigns2013
Reviewed 12 November 2013

London can be so noisy and busy, but we found our sanctuary at The Main House in Notting Hill. Roomy, quiet and with wonderful foodie places everywhere in the neighbourhood. Our hostess was charming and her contacts with airport transfers made arriving and departing pain free.

Room Tip: Travel light as there is no life and a few stairs - keeps you fit!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank QUEUE10
Reviewed 8 November 2013

“For years I had wanted to visit London. I had traveled most of the world, but had never seen this major capitol city. And what had been stopping me had everything to do with accommodations.

I wanted to see 18th and 19th Century literary London, tour its historic homes and eat at its historic pubs. But all I could find in my price range was a string of depressing hotels and B&Bs...basically, beige boxes with poor quality faded chintz bedspreads. That option, coupled with assuredly daily rain, kept me away.

Then one day I found The Main House online. With an immediate reply to my request, I was booked for 7 nights on the third floor of a Georgian townhome in trendy Notting Hill. With high ceilings, huge windows that open, a large bathroom with divan, mini-living room in a beige/black color pallet with antique English pull-down writing desk and animal firs on bleached wooden floors, I had found the perfect accommodation...and so I went to London.

I haven’t found anything since in London that comes close to The Main House...in all senses: hospitality, décor, location, and price. It’s perfectly situated around the corner from Portobello Road and a restaurant that serves organic food from a farm in the Cotswolds...plus plenty of other good restaurants, bars, and clothing and home furnishing boutiques. A number of buses stop nearby and the Notting Hill Gate tube is in walking distance.

But what I will always remember is coming back to my room after a long day touring the city and being able to open up and sit at the antique writing desk and feel like I was living in London’s glorious past.”

Kristina Kessler
Washington D.C.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kristina K
Reviewed 10 September 2013

As fairly frequent travellers to London from Australia , my husband and I were looking for somewhere to stay for a change apart from the usual clubs on St James' Square . After much searching on the internet , I chanced upon The Main House. It seemed to have everything we were looking for- a charming location, walking distance to the tube and restaurants and spacious and stylish accommodation. We stayed for 5 nights and whilst the internet proved correct about all of the above, we also found by staying there how lovely and helpful the owner, Caroline , and her assistant, Chiara, were. They offered advice if sought about places to visit and were able to recommend restaurants from the many nearby. It was always a pleasure to come back each evening to a lovely clean and freshly made up room. After returning home , it took me a while to realise that the beautiful silver tray and teapot would not be appearing magically at my door each morning as they had done at The Main House ! We are looking forward to returning to London and The Main House .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple