“Great B&B in London, and a landlady to match!”
Review of The Main House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Main House
Ranked #46 of 577 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Best possible B&B in London! Just to meet Caroline alone deserves a visit to this unique B&B in a very smart part of London. and I will recommend it to all my friends visiting London. Best value for money in an overpriced city!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Hello!

I have been to London loads of times, but I have never had the plumbing be so auwful like recently. I just wanted to wash the sweat off meself before sleeping a bit after a 10 hour flight. But NO! The hot water in the bathtub did not start until I over-turned the whole thing and it broke! We called the ph#, and left a phone messages! Me mum, who has bad knees, went downstairs to find someone and beat on the door, but it was futile. No answer. We then sent an email. Then we went to sleep, cuz.... Think about it! U will get it!.

The Thames was going to pollute our tub until we made it stop. We burned up a towel in the process, not meaning to. We tried to save it, why?! We had already been made to feel like the bad guy. Not knowing how to turn a knob! I've got ur knob right here. Viva la environmentalism... Not to be confused with current day hygeine and all that stuff. Funny!?!? That would just make folks uncomfortable... Wired? I'd give u 50 cents to own a wash-cloth!

Not to worry... Me mum was later admonished for staining a towel. Viva la towel! If the tub wasn't broken, you would have a virgin towel. Funny that, no? No! Take ur own wash cloth etc. They are environmental? Don't be afraid, it's an excuses for not being clean. I LOVE England, but for real?!?

I have family that live here. I'm not a first-timer. London is a " hot mess". Keep ur expectations low. Amen!!!

If u like stairs and being told that your very existence blows chunks... By all means, stay here. We don't kill orcas or fish... That would be murder, but anything else is open season! With dead animal furs on the floor, as long as ur barefoot, it never happened. I do luv England, but this was some messed up stuff! I'm actually at a loss for words, other than I was so tired, I thank someone for sleep!

Lastly, I would like to log-out. BUT this site, will not let me. Will u? So, as my fav UK band would say... Suck it & see." Undeserved that, my mutha country!

H~

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Main House from for a week in April 2014. We had a lovely time! Caroline was a very kind and knowledgeable host, and her staff was extremely kind. The room was quiet, comfortable and very large! Coffee every morning was hot and served on time (you can specify the time) in a lovely silver serving tray. It was a fun way to wake up every morning. It was very affordable and the location was convenient. There were tons of restaurants to eat at within walking distance and the metro was about a 10 minute walk. There was also the Portobello Market about a 2 minute walk from the hotel, which was We can't wait to stay again next time we come to London.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For independent travelers this is the rare gem that you have been searching for in London. We stayed for six nights in the top floor suite, with separate bedroom, sitting room and bathroom. It was clean, comfortable, charming and spacious. Safe, quiet location, close to Portobello Road, restaurants, bus lines and a ten minute walk to the tube. Very good value for the money. You will be provided with morning tea, free wifi, a hair dryer, voltage converter, and access to a small central fridge. Bring your own bath soap and shampoo.
Caroline Main is an absolute delight. She arranged airport pickup for us, suggested restaurants, places off the tourist path to go explore, loaned us a local cell phone and made our stay memorable. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We got engaged in London exactly 50 years ago, and the occasion called for another visit to this amazing city. We discovered The Main House in Notting Hill which proved an absolute strike of luck.

Caroline, the super-friendly proprietress of this very pretty little English house already welcomed us on arrival, later gave us much appreciated tips for restaurants and was simply very pleasant to talk to.
We had the second floor to us; a big living-/bedroom appointed with beautiful old English furniture and a large bathroom (with tub).
There are several very good breakfast options about three minutes away (by foot), with a selection of the most delicious items.
The house is located very quiet yet central in the elegant and „hip“ Notting Hill area, very close to famous Portobello Road where especially (but not only) on Saturdays a number of stands offer the most strange and wonderful things.
Line 23 Bus stops just around the corner. Highly recommended to get into the city „overground“ – with sightseeing for free.
Those who want to travel faster take the Underground from Notting Hill Gate station, about a ten-minute walk away.
We are still very happy to have found this perfect accomodation - and charming Caroline. (Our sons had the idea to have some surprise flowers waiting for us in our rooms, and Caroline easily arranged even that in a perfectly uncomplicated way).
We will be very happy to be back!

Christa & Fried

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisHa2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have stayed at The Main House twice now and am already looking forward to my next visit. Proprietor Caroline Main goes out of her way to make sure the time you spend in her lovely B&B is comfortable and enjoyable. The tastefully decorated rooms are huge and the Notting Hill location can not be beat. If you are looking for a bland Holiday Inn with wall-to-wall carpet and stodgy furnishings, don't bother as you will be disappointed here!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Our family had the opportunity to stay in the beautifully appointed antique style accommodation called The Main House in Notting Hill over the Chiristmas period in December 2013. This was our first visit from Australia in almost 20 years and fell in love with the house from the second we walked through the front door. This house was old worldy and made you feel at home the second you walked through the front door and had everything that anyone could possibly desire and the early morning wake up call complete with antique silver service very hot pot of tea and pot of coffee were a treasure to receive. The rooms were very clean and beds were extremely comfortable and rooms very warm and cosy without being too hot during the winter months. The owner Caroline and her staff were truly lovely and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them right down to booking evening meals at local restaurants to meet our requirements., We will remember Caroline and The Main House for years to come and would without hesitation highly recommend this accommodation for the perfect place to stay in Notting Hill. LOOK NO FURTHER!!! from Sylv, Fred, Mark, Barbie & Ryan from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem mention this to Caroline when booking so that she can ensure the lower floor...