“good value, something for everyone...”
Review of Monarch Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Monarch Hotel
Ranked #837 of 1,067 Hotels in London
nyc
“good value, something for everyone...”
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We stayed at the monarch during a trip to europe....we used it as a base while we travelled. The first half of the trip I travelled alone, then my wife met me over there, we travelled around and returned to the monarch upon returning to london. During my first stay, alone, I booked a single room and was placed in a closet sized room on the first floor. It was tiny and pretty dark, the bathroom was the size of an airplane bathroom...the appliances didn't work either...

HOWEVER, upon our return we booked a double and the room that we ended up with was wonderful. It was quite large, nice bathroom, airy and clean, we had no problems...

So, I would say you get what you pay for. The single room is VERY affordable and just fine for a single person traveling economically. The double room is also affordable and a very good value for what you get. The location is EXCELLENT for what you pay...

• Liked — value, location
  • Disliked — single room
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Families
Solo
Business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2006

We, ( my husband, two year old daughter and my pregnant self ) stayed at The Monarch Hotel for three and a half months. The staff there were great. If you believe that treating people with respect, patience and kindness returns the same to you, then the people at The Monarch Hotal demonstrated this massively. Nothing is too much trouble if you ask for it politely, wait for it patiently, then receive it with kindness. There was a nice community spirit when I was there, amongst residents.
My room was on the ground floor beside reception. It had a smoke alarm, ensuite bathroom and a big window which was useful when the weather was warm. Along with a double bed and single bed, the room itself was provided with a chair and table and fridge freezer. EnSuite bathroom: Good shower, toilet and washbasin. Each morning, a charming woman came to clean the room out. Linens changed weekly for residents.
During our stay it became necessary to redecorate our room. We were relocated in a room on the third floor, accessible by lift and stairs. During our stay there, the owner was available for question and answer sessions. The rooms were always of a high standard. The showers were always hot and powerful.
Breakfast, downstairs beside the kitchen was uniformly sustaining. Although, towards the end of my stay, there was some quibble over how many slices of toast one, or one's children, could have, according to what price was being paid. The kitchens are clean and useful; you can cook a meal and do washing up. The washing machine and dryer could be improved by more regular maintenance, although, staff were at hand to advise on usage.

As a native Londoner, with hindsight and taking all bills into account, I wish I was still living at The Monarch Hotel. Indeed, there are far worse places to stay.

• Stayed February 2003