“15% service charge and an invitation to add a gratuity?”

Amaranto Lounge at the Four Seasons
Ranked #4,467 of 22,834 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Liverpool (UK)
“15% service charge and an invitation to add a gratuity?”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had not been to the Four Seasons since its closure for refurbishment and were very much looking forward to enjoying our return visit. We had previously enjoyed visits to the first floor bar, with its excellent service, and some delightful and remarkably good value lunches, again in the spacious and beautifully decorated first floor restaurant.

The refurbishment has removed the first floor bar and dining areas and, with it, the rather grand double staircase, but I can quite understand the desire to make better use of the building.

The waiting staff looked after us well and, on balance, we think that they seated us in the open area as being a nicer space with greater height. We were invited to have a look round afterwards and we did - pleasant, but sadly hardly worth making another visit.

The choice of teas was good and delicious, but the sandwiches and cakes poor. We opted for a glass of rose (sorry no acute accent to hand) and so tea for two amounted to £117.30 including the 15% service charge. We were well looked after, but I was reluctant, and I speak as a tipper, to add any more. I can only hope that the Four Seasons does pay its staff adequately - actually more than adequately, judging by the way that they had to run round some of the other guests.

All in all a disappointment, and an expensive one at that. We will continue to visit other Four Seasons sites, but there is a lot of competition for afternoon tea in London - much of it better quality and better value.

• Visited July 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“Average to good”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I had high expectations for afternoon tea at the Four Seasons London, afterall, I thoroughly enjoyed the many afternoon teas at its counterpart in Dublin, but alas, there is plenty of room for improvement when compared with its Irish sister. Having said that, I frequented this establishment twice, in the hope that my first visit was just a "bad hair day".

The ambience failed to excite - in some ways, we felt we were sitting in the lobby and felt very exposed to people walking about the hotel (although there were seatings deeper in, which we had the second time round). Had they designed their lounge to be more warm and inviting, rather than clean cut business meeting like sort of place, I might push my overall rating higher. The saving grace of the ambience was the excellent and friend pianist.

Service was average to good and perhaps a little slow (improved the second visit, although still hard to get staff attention). The table setting was very good and the staff were generally friendly.

I had the traditional afternoon tea - and while not superb (for its price, comes expectations) was still enjoyable. The sandwiches were well presented - roast beef, cream cheese, coronation chicken, salmon and asparagus and cucumber. All were well flavoured - although my friend was unimpressed with their non-freshly made mayonnaise, we agreed that this was good for the pregnant ladies who cannot have raw eggs and was definitely acceptable.

The mini scones were unremarkable but acceptable. The second visit, I was very surprise to find a different variety of "healthy" scones. However, personally, I felt that they should have included classics into their variety. e.g. Plain, Fruit & "Special of the day"

Patisseries were also different on both visits, so draw of the luck really (we enjoyed the first visit's patisseries better than the second). They were generally well presented and delicate. While we were please to know that the pastry chef was adventurous, we didn't think that the second visit's patisseries were very good - funky carrot cakes and dodgy green apple marshmellowy thing. The first visit had lemon meringue tart, panna cotta, chocolate hazelnut eclair.

All in all, I would go back - but only after trying a few other places. It isn't superb but it ain't bad - a high average to good - but saying VERY good would be a push.

I also like the option that it wasn't by per head but by what was ordered, and was also not set a time to finish by.

• Visited April 2013
San Francisco, California
“All is Fine Here”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The lounge is really more like a modern art gallery with a lounge inside. The art on the wall is really beautiful and the piano playing in the background make for a refined setting for a pre dinner setting that will please anyone. The selection of champagnes, scotches and gins is all top shelf and the preparation will bring a smile to your face.

So sit back and give your body a rest before you are off for a fine dinner or a show. You will leave there refreshed and energized.

If you are staying there, see if the house car is available for arriving in style to your next destination.

• Visited April 2013
Leesburg, Virginia
“Very Average Experience”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

The restaurant is not helped by the fact that the Four Seasons Hotel itself has very little going for it other than location in the business district. The restaurant staff all seemed new and uninformed. The lunch menu was very limited and the portion sizes were underwelming for the price.

Visited January 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon tea”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

As an annual treat, I take my family for afternoon tea to a different venue each year. This year, I chose Amaranto at the Four Seasons. I opted for the Italian tea whilst the rest of the family had the traditional afternoon tea. Italian panettone was the equivalent to the scones, delicate cream cakes and lovely fresh sandwiches. Really friendly staff and great service. All accompanied by a tinkling piano. Lovely!!

Visited January 2013

Been to Amaranto Lounge at the Four Seasons? Share your experiences!