“Good hotel, good location, but only at the price”

Park Grand London Hyde Park
Ranked #244 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I was originally booked to stay one night at the Park Grand London Paddington. However, after receiving my confirmation they emailed me to tell me that a "system glitch" meant they were overbooked and I was being moved to their sister hotel, the Park Grand London Hyde Park. This seems to be a fairly regular occurrence, judging by the comments, but the location was good for me, and they offered a complimentary breakfast. The charge was a total of £90 for one night, though you should note that the prices quoted on the web site exclude VAT.

Service was very good, with lots of pleasant staff, and the buffet breakfast was hot and tasty. The room I was assigned was supposed to be an upgrade, and it was big enough but contained two double beds, which made it feel cramped. The shower room was very small, with just enough room for the toilet and a sink but, again, it was clean enough and quite modern. The safe was not screwed down, and was relatively easy to lift; I wouldn't want to run anywhere with it, but I'm not sure it genuinely protects anything really valuable.

The problem in rating this property is judging value. They are described as a boutique four-star hotel, but they really don't do anything to justify the boutique description. I'd also argue that they are a good three-star, not four star. Taking this all into account, paying £90 for bed and breakfast is good value, and very fair for the area. I'd drop the rating if the price was significantly higher.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GurdeepsinghSENATOR, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit to the Park Grand London Hyde Park.
We consider the guest feedback of vital importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Your detailed feedback is of great help to us in improving our product and service for the future. I am pleased that despite the issues mentioned, you still had a good stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Park Grand London Hyde Park in the future.

Kind Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,167)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Courteous staff and a good breakfast more than make up for the tiny size of the rooms.
Can't call them Double Rooms, for sure.
The location is really nice, at a walking distance from Paddington Main station which has connections to most parts of London and also very near to the city center.
The hotel offers complimentary breakfast and are more than willing to add vegetarian sandwiches to the menu for people like me who have dietary restrictions.

Full marks to the staff for their courtesy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to receive such positive feedback as yours. We constantly endeavor to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that they were friendly and professional during your visit.

I will pass your kind words on to the team and ensure that their service is suitably rewarded.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed here during Christmas, it was fantastic,rooms are very clean and big,breakfast was cooked fresh and well displayed,location is central and the staff is very helpful and friendly,I highly recommend this hotel and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2013
GurdeepsinghSENATOR, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I will pass your kind words on to the reception and concierge team and ensure that their service is suitably rewarded.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I've stayed in park grand during a family trip. This hotel is lovely! Reception was spotless, staff was courteous and professional, the room was warm and cozy and breakfast offered a wide choice of food! Looking forward to visit this hotel again!

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Two friends and I stayed here for four nights over the weekend. The hotel's location is close to Paddington station and fairly easy to find. When we arrived check in was a little painful - the man was obviously new and didn't seem to understand much English.

We were given a room with two floors - the first floor was beautiful with a queen bed however the ground floor was underwhelming and had a sofa bed. We had booked a "Deluxe Quadruple Room with Two Queen Beds" so we weren't impressed. I went straight down to reception for a room change. We were given a new room that had two double beds however it looked just like the photo on Expedia of the room I booked so I accepted it.

I knew the en suite would only have a shower (not a bath) when I booked however I didn't expect the en suite to be the size of a box. There was also rust inside the shower. Needless to say, these aren't features expected of a four star hotel. However the beds were really comfortable, the rooms were really warm with controllable temperature, we had lovely hot showers and we enjoyed the TV and in-room tea.

Their general service was helpful. The batteries in the remote control were dead, these were replaced by the time we got back on the first day. My room key stopped working on the second day and they fixed this right away. One thing I would say is that their staff need to be a bit more knowledgeable. For example, one night we came back at 4am and asked the reception for room service. The guy wrote down our orders then another guy came along and told us that room service wasn't 24 hours - surely the first guy should have known this.

Overall, despite the inconveniences, it was a nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to The Park Grand London, Hyde Park.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay your detailed feedback is of great help to us in improving our product and service for the future.

Please feel free to contact me personally at housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com next time you would like to visit us so that we may restore your faith in our hotel as well as team who work here. We do look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

After an extremely long and delayed journey our stay got off to a very bad start when we arrived and faced a 25 minute wait to check-in. We were asked to wait in the bar area due to the que - they were clearly having problems with a large group of people checking-in before us. Although I understand the problem the staff had, I thought it would have been sensible for one staff member to deal with the group and therefore free the other receptionists up to deal with other guests.

Despite the long trek to the room (the lift which only went up to floor 6 was a bit old and dodgy), we were actually pleased to be more 'out the way'. The rooms itself was stunning. The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious enough with an excellent view over London (we were on the 7th floor). The bathroom was a bit of a squeeze but was extremely nice and clean with a good shower. Sleep was pretty undisturbed apart from the odd bit of banging at around 7am.

The breakfast was absolutely stunning and the staff were brilliant. There was a good choice of continental with bread, ham, cheese, salami, fruit, muffins, croissants, toast, jams, cereals and an impressive full English buffet with fresh coffee and juices. I actually think the quality of the breakfast swayed my thinking that the stay was worth the money that I had paid!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GurdeepsinghSENATOR, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear simpo66830,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online following your recent visit to the Park Grand London Hyde Park.

I am sorry to hear that your experience at check in time was less than satisfactory, your comments will be passed onto the front desk team, where we will look into this, as we constantly endeavour to exceed our guests expectations of service.We consider the guests feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad.

On the other hand, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and rest assured your comments will be passed on to our breakfast chef. As it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Park Grand, Hyde Park.

May Phan

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Another business hotel in London that provides small rooms and a fair service at a reasonable price. The breakfast is poor, but there plenty of small eateries around in a lively neighbourhood the corner with superb taste and quality. Those with difficulties to walk or heavy luggage might have to take a cab or prepare to walk around 15 mins. from the next subway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear traveltheworld34,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your time in writing to us about your stay at The Park Grand, Hyde Park. We truly appreciate all feedback from satisfied guests like you, as it enable us to improve our product and service where it is required. It also enhances our strength to meet the expectations from our customers.

We do apologise that you were not satisfied with the breakfast, your comments have been passed onto our restaurant and we will look into this.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Park Grand, Hyde Park.

May Phan