“Didn't get as far as staying”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ingleby House

Ingleby House
Ranked #323 of 575 London B&B and Inns
guildford
“Didn't get as far as staying”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I do not believe this is a hotel, as such. It was described to me by St George's Hospital staff as basic accommodation for patients' families. My husband is having major surgery so I telephoned to enquire about reserving a room and to find out how flexible they could be about my stay, as I don't know exactly how long he'll be in hospital. The receptionist was not at all helpful and didn't seem to listen to my questions properly, let alone answer them informatively. There did not appear to be any flexibility and she even mentioned that I'd need to change rooms after the first night. It's a stressful time and I would have expected hospital accommodation to understand this and be appropriately sympathetic, but I did not get this impression at all. I already have a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express down the road, which does actually offer some flexibility. On first impressions I'd recommend the Holiday Inn over Ingleby House for anyone who prefers to be treated professionally.

Room Tip: There are ensuite and non-ensuite rooms available, apparently. Non-ensuite was quoted at £48 per nig...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sylvworld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tornio, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We spent 5 nights in Ingleby House again while visiting an annual veterinary event in London and visiting our son who is living in Ingleby House during his studies in London. The house is under refurbishment and a lot has been done already. There e.g. is a nice and affordable Café-Restaurant MÖTE downstairs. One must remember that this is an old house which was in a bad shape when the current owner bought it. There is a lot of effort to renew the whole house to modern standards. Refurbishing a big house like Ingleby House takes time and is a huge task I think.One must e.g. have an understanding that one lift is reserved for the construction workers 8 am till 6 pm and corridors are dusty. If you want a room in a 5 star hotel, then take a room in such a hotel and also pay the price for it…. Ingleby House is not a 5 star hotel, but it is a quiet and safe place to stay in. Be flexible and patient and see the positive sides - the house is getting better all the time.
As last year everything worked fine and the staff is really very nice and helpful. I want to express my special thanks to Ishara Pereira who organised everything. I can't wait to see the refurbished rooms when we hopefully stay in Ingleby House next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Outimasa
Exeter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

This 2* hotel should really be described as a hostel.
The location for me was fantastic - my partner having major surgery in St Georges hospital this block of flats/rooms was only a five minute walk away from the hospital entrance.
I had to carefully make my way past and over fire alarm engineers and their tools to get in and out of the (dirty) lift. The room was small, but warm, or at least warm until the wind howled through the condensation soaked and mouldy window frames. The one blanket on the bed was not enough but found another in the wardrobe. The ensuite facilities were basic and would have been ok if clean, but sadly they were rather dirty.
I did venture in to the shared kitchen but frankly felt uncomfortable as other room occupants ( who I never met, only heard ) had food and drink stored in the fridge and cupboards.
Clean towels were placed in my room each day - however there was no where to place wet towels after a shower or wash as the hooks had been broken off of the wall.
£60 a night for this accomodation is far too high in £££
As I have already mentioned, the location if great for the hospital and for that I am grateful, but to call this a hotel really is pushing the description too far. I hope I never have to return here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Tornio, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I warmly recommend this place. Last week my husband and myself attended a veterinary event at Olympia Hall and stayed in Ingleby House.We also visited our son who is studying in London since the end of September and living in this house. Travelling to Olympia Hall and to Heathrow was very quick and easy with the metro. One has to be aware that this house has new owners and is under renovation. Our en-suite room was clean and warm, but not renovated yet ( we could compare it with a newly renovated basic room on 11th floor).The wc-shower combination was of course old (with this funny small English sink with 2 separate taps), but it was all working! For us everything worked out as agreed (e.g. getting the key from the security when we arrived late in the evening). Be flexible and just imagine to be a student again and look at the place through student eyes: what more can you expect at this price! We have paid 100 GBP more for a room on Kensington High Street and the room+bath were not bigger! I find it very good that the fire issues are taken seriously. I am sure once the whole house has been renovated all kitchens and rooms and baths will be new and shiny. Thank you Ingleby house and especially Shalini Blackman.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Outimasa
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

This hotel offers short term lease as well as 1 night to 1 week stays. I'm reviewing this as a hotel because that's what I was told it was on many occasions.

First off, as a hotel, this location and building has huge potential as a hotel and as accommodation. The main thing that let Ingleby House down is the service. On arriving to view the property we were taken to the 12th floor. The view for London was not bad. OK, there was a graveyard below us but with green grass, trees and a distant city view, the graveyard was livable, bearing in mind the opposite view was a hospital. We were shown a double wardrobe, a desk, a bedside table, a £4.99 picture of a London bus and military style double bed. For £600 pounds a month, for the room and basic equipped kitchen with a clean bathroom, we were happy. We asked about length of contract and we were told 6 months was the minimum length.

After viewing on Friday we were told we could move in on Monday, so having long outstayed my cousins welcome, we pitched up on Monday morning ready to move in. Not only was our room not ready, of the 13 floors with 16 bedrooms a floor, there was no room for us to occupy, the only thing that was ready was the contract and the card machine. We were shown our room, laundry supplies and common room. We were given a single wardrobe and a sink in our bedroom, which for a six month stay with winter on the way and the rest of summer to enjoy is frankly unacceptable. The kitchen was not equipped in the slightest unless you count a fridge, a sink and an oven. The bathroom was fairly disgusting, a dirty toilet, a soiled shower curtain (Plastic window) with a moldy seal and a sink that looked like someone had cleaned it with an angle grinder was also not what we were paying for, but after a clean and some kitchen equipment we managed to fit everything into the room.

So far, I was not impressed but not put off either. On staying in the room for two weeks, as usual with British weather, winter started to kick in in August, and in the last few days, the room was cold enough to freeze your food, let alone your face. So, just to find out where the heating was, I went down to inquire. I was told that because it was summer months (by whose standards?) in the UK, the heating would be turned on, on the first of September, and has this was the next day I really saw no reason to push the issue. When two weeks later I was still freezing to death every night and I decided to complain again, I was told, again that it would be turned on on the 20th, as if this information had been passed to me already. On the 28th I complained again, and informed that the heating was switched on in October and that was and that they could do nothing about this.

Once the heating was eventually on, the room was again passable. However as if on schedule, I was woken at half 8 in the morning by the installation of a new fridge into the kitchen, which as I work in catering and hadn't gotten in until the early hours, was fairly upset about. My food had been moved in to the wrong compartments in the fridge and as a result cost me money. It appears later in a response to a letter of complaint that I wrote that I complained that the old fridge was not working and it was not their responsibility but the responsibility of the 'delivery Guys', when I verbally complained about this matter, Shalini Blackburn responded with 'At least you have more room for your food'. Number 1, no I didn't because the storage space was smaller and Number 2, am I paying her wages or is someone else?

Again, this is all passable if you can put up with the fire alarms going of on average three times a week. at midnight, 7 in the morning and at 2 in the afternoon as if set on timer. Also on Wednesday mornings at 9:00, the fire alarm was tested even though you were ejected from the property half an hour earlier by a false alarm. Again, annoying if you work anything other that 9 - 5. At this point I would like to point out that I wrote my letter of complaint, receiving a cocky, response that looked as if written by a school child.

Following a week of no problems, something was due to go wrong and it did. The last straw. I left my room for five minutes to use the laundry service and on returning found my room unlocked and fire evacuation posters pinned to the back of my BEDROOM door. Someone, without my permission, violated my privacy and stuck posters on the back of my door. I instantly lost my temper and complained to the manager, contract in hand and was in formed that this was an emergency, and that as a fire inspection was to take place the next day the posters had to be in place. 1. Not my emergency or concern. 2. Not my problem someone has not done their job correctly. 3. these should have been in place when I moved into the property. 4. A lame excuse from the manager of a frankly childishly run hotel and 5. I PAY FOR THE PRIVACY THAT THE CONTRACT ENSURES. I handed in my notice on that day and left 28 long days later.

Services this hotel does not provide: Cleaning, Kitchen equipment, free wireless internet in the rooms, privacy, courteous reception team, efficient post service, respect to the customerl

Services this hotel does provide: basic accommodation for those who even bring their kitchen sink. Good location should you be injured in a fire (haha) or hurt by their attitude.

Thank you Ingleby House, you made my first 2 months in London, unforgettable and my time off stressful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D
Braintree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

For the £46 we paid per night we were expecting a very basic room, and so long as it were clean we really weren't too worried!

The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean! The tea and coffee facilities were reasonable, although there was no table or desk to put the kettle on and to leave it on the floor is in my mind a little dangerous! The other problem with the tea and coffee facilities was that we only has one mug between us which in a double room for two people is not quite good enough! We went down to reception and asked for another mug, we were informed by a very confused man manning reception that they didn't have any more cups, which left us taking it in turns to have coffee in the mornings!

We booked an en suite room which was supposed to share a kitchen.. Which was nowhere to be found!

The room itself was pretty rank... Like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks, long black hairs all over the already dirty carpet and a collection of short and curlies in the bathroom... Eugh!! Window was beyond mouldy and the curtains were stained and moist! The shower curtain was revolting..mouldy and smelly, the grout in the bathroom was all stained a dirty thick brown and the plug holes were scaly beyond belief!! The en suite itself was less of an en suite and more of a large shower cubicle with a toilet in it!!

The location was pretty good, tooting station was only a 10 min walk away and the buses dropped off straight out side the building!

To be honest, with a deep clean, a desk, some clean curtains, an extra cup and a fair amount of bleach and scrubbing in the bathroom this wouldn't be a bad place to stay! Also shouldn't advertise the use of a kitchen when there isn't one!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Tazed24
Vladimir M, General Manager at Ingleby House, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and welcome it. On reviewing the details of your writing we believe it is fair. We have recently began pre-refurb programme and as you have noticed the beds and sheets are brand new. I will ensure that we place special attention to the rooms and their deep cleaning. Indeed window seals are a major target to our cleaning team at present. Bathroom cleanliness however is a no miss. I am sorry you had such a terrible experience with that amenity in your room. Bathroom curtains are in the change at present. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the not so distant future.