“Thai by night” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13,894 of 22,217 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: this is a very small restaurant that does not have a web site. However, it is near to my house and we visit it about once a week. Easily, the best Thai food in London. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=The+Hammersmith+Cafe+&hl=en&cid=7290619508175860191
London
“Thai by night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I've just had my second meal at the Hammersmith Cafe in six months (frequent for me) and felt compelled to write a positive review.
This is one of those schizophrenic restaurants that's a greasy spoon by day and a Thai by night.
The decor is greasy spoon. However the lighting is reasonably kind. The service is good and the food better.
Mid-market clientele who know they're onto a good thing.
We just had starters after the cinema across the road (Woody Allen's 'Blue Jasmine' - not worth the ticket and thank heavens I was late from work so avoided it) and paid £29.95 plus £5 tip for three.
No license and the two local wine shops sell turps so make sure to BYO - no corkage so dig deep in what you laughingly call your cellar to have a great value outing.
If I was about to be 40 I'd book all the tables and have a great night.

• Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Thai dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Went to the Hammersmith cafe for Thai based on lots of good reviews. In my opinion not very good. Overwhelmed by a busy night, long waiting time for food and overcooked veg, soft squidgy broccoli and salty food.
Nice waitress but rushed off her feet. Biggest concern was my view of the microwave in the kitchen and how often it was being used. I don't expect my food to be microwaved. Was definitely cheapish but hardly value for money. Would not recommend the place and would definitely not got back. Ate vegetarian food.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“So disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I have been going here for years, mostly in the evening. Just returned from lunch . The waitress was unbearably rude, the food extremely poor( one dish sent back as it tasted of floor cleaner).we returned home quickly as 2 out of 3 of us had to dash to the toilet unwell. Don't know if its changed ownership but I certainly won't go again in a hurry. What a shame! Maybe it is still ok in the evening.

Visited September 2013
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Thai Restaurant in Hammersmith”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We're local to this area, and been coming here for years - the food is always excellent, prices low, good service and it's bring your own bottle - what's not to like?
Some people might be put off by the basic "cafe" decor - but if you want to eat here on a Saturday night after 8pm you will have to book days in advance - packed with locals who know how good the food is.

• Visited September 2013
Harrow
“Great value traditional English Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

In order to line my stomach before the beer festival, I tried this place on the way to Olympia. For under £5 I had 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, plenty of toast and coffee. The service was pleasant, friendly & efficient & I didnt have long to wait for my food. This is a Thai place -I don't know about the Thai food, but the traditional English breakfast (not at all greasy), was very nice, and could have contained all the other usual breakfast items, if I wanted them. Better value than most of the other similar places in the area,.Handily located opposite the Town Hall & Cinema adjacent to several bus routes along King St.

• Visited August 2013