“Is cool and chic enough?” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of citizenM London Bankside

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #85 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cornwall U.K.
“Is cool and chic enough?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I can see what this chain of hotels is trying to do, by doing away with some of the more staid features you find elsewhere (e.g. Corby trouser presses - does anyone actually use them?) but sometimes tried and tested is best. The rooms here are dominated by huge - though very comfortable - beds which can only really be accessed from one side. The excellent T.V. can only be properly viewed when lying in the bed and there is only one comfortable seat in the room. Everything is controlled by a Samsung tablet (and I do mean everything), which I did think was a bit gimmicky at first, but I quite liked it once I'd gotten used to it - if I can use it anyone can! There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, or complimentary drinks in the lobby either, which I do feel is a serious failing. I do appreciate that some hospitality trays can be pretty mediocre, but not if they're done well, and I'd sooner have something than nothing. There is at least a small fridge in the room, which is nice.
A real problem is not being able to switch off the air con, which I was told was because the windows cannot be opened. Fair enough but I've done this in other hotels where the windows don't open and haven't suffocated yet! The lowest setting of the air con was, to me, too loud for comfort.
The bathroom is extremely modern and, yes, quite swish, with lovely fluffy bath towels (they may of course become less fluffy once the hotel has been open for a while longer).
The staff were friendly and helpful but some of them clearly haven't got completely to grips with their hotel yet, so couldn't readily answer all my questions.
The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Waterloo main station, slightly less to Waterloo East. I guess a taxi from either might take no more than 5 minutes.
I may well be in the minority with this hotel and I only saw one other guest who looked remotely near my age.
One tiny grumble I have is being referred to as Citizen Julian in my original booking and at check out; I wasn't aware we were now living in revolutionary France all of a sudden, but maybe that's just me being an old grumpster.

Room Tip: The hotel told me beforehand that any special requests would be honoured and they were.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Julian&Moira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel after my boyfriend had such a good experience in the one in Amsterdam, and it really lived up to his review. The room came with the biggest bed I had ever seen, plenty of room to stretch out and so comfy I couldn't bear to get up. The mood lighting was incredible, and the combination of sound proofing, blackout blinds, and air conditioning made it the perfect room for a good night sleep after an evening out in London. I'm really missing the rain-effect shower too. For its location (right by the Tate Modern) and sci-fi-esque design, £103/night was an absolute steal.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingAdam27
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

One of the greatest and trendiest places to stay on London in a nutshell. Great design, lots of comfort and friendly staff. No frills, but al I need. There is nothing similar in its pricerange, beating all four star hotels in London that I know of. I am particularly fond of the meeting rooms, which are must stay to impress your clients.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good, I stayed at court yard on the fourth, by the way, when you are there, Bu...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MichielLamens
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Found this amazing hotel on line after unfortunately having already booked a 'run of the mill' Hilton. However we decided to pay Citizen M a visit to see if what we could have booked.
We were met in the open and very relaxed foyer/meeting area by TJ who offered to show us around the hotel and its state of the art features.
We were made to feel so welcome we decided to stay for a drink in the bar and met Valentine and a really lovely chatty barman, both of whom were really open and friendly and made us feel very much at home.
We are frequent visitors to London, but have never found the perfect place to stay. We have now and will be frequent citizens!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank kazandbri
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I happened across this hotel purely by accident and am glad I did! It was a really nice experience, something very different to the norm. You can check in without any interaction and on checkout I was told I could keep my room key (as a handy luggage tag) and if I go back to a Citizen M again, it will recognize me once I swipe it. Cool!

The hotel lobby is amazing - it is like a funky library; free wifi, full of sockets to charge up phones/ laptops etc. I was traveling alone so ate from the self service restaurant and it was excellent quality. The staff were really friendly and welcoming and a real asset to the hotel in its start up phase.

Of course the room is the other attraction - as a total Generation Y boy, having a Samsung tablet to control the lights (and mood!), the TV, music, blinds was great fun. But if you are not at all at ease with technology, there are switches to control the lights and blinds, if not the TV. The bed was massive considering the size of the room. The only criticism was someone knocking on my door despite the quirky Do Not Disturb sign (see pic!) on the door (I had paid for a late check out but perhaps this was not communicated well), and as already mentioned the building works early on a Sunday morning, but that's outside the control of the hotel.

I would highly recommend this place, but hope it doesn't get so popular I can't get a reservation again :-)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DublinBD
The_Cloonster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I love the Citizen M in Glasgow and so thought I'd try the new hotel in Bankside. The foyer is warm, exciting and welcoming. I love the self-check in, the staff were still attentive however if there is a problem. Believe me, welcoming reception staff at a busy London hotel is quite rare (or so I have found on my recent work trips). The room was small but brilliantly equipped. FREE WIRELESS, I still can't believe that some hotels make you pay for this. The whole room was 'controlled' via a tablet: radio; dvds; internet; television...brilliant! The only thing that I missed was a warm bath but I know that's just me. Comfy bed and quiet corridors. all you need...really.
All this for £105; in July; in central London. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank The_Cloonster
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Fantastic hotel, and fab value for money. The funkiest, trendiest hotel that I've been in. Really nice vibe to the place, really friendly and helpful staff.

The only slight downside, although no fault of the hotel, was welding noises coming from workers outside in an adjacent development, and that was on a Sunday morning.

The hotel experience itself was faultless.

Will stay again and would highly recommend. I'm sure it is the future of hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple