“Man Bags & Glad Rags...”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #85 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I always wondered where computer geeks and media assistants stay in London, and now I know, the design of the reception area reminds me of modern build university, so this environment makes man bag wearing, presbyopia types feel that they’ve come home.
My opening remarks may give the impression that I didn’t enjoy my stay, quite the contrary; I really enjoyed the refreshing experience. The rooms were large enough, the bed was larger than most of the hotels I frequent, and there was a novelty value to the touch screen that operated the TV, lights etc., and the up and down activity was isolated to the electric blinds and curtains, also operated by the touch screen. The lounge area is relaxing, and you have enough privacy for small business meetings, and the breakfast is better than most of the hotels with a buffet approach, the coffee was excellent, not your usual jugs of stained water, there was well made cappuccino’s or espresso’s.
My only annoyance was a little battle to pay for all the rooms I had booked on one credit card, it didn’t fit into the sleek self-checking and departure system, but I did receive a post visit e-mail explaining their conditions and payment policy, but I feel this has to be refined, this was the only aspect of my stay that they forgot who pays the bill. Be aware there is no car parking, be prepared to park away from the hotel, and expect to pay in the region of £26. I thought the room rate was competitive for Central London, and don’t be put off by my rather young impression I have given, this is a fun hotel for all age groups.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I have stayed at CitizenM in Amsterdam before, and therefor booked this one as well. The hotel is simple but nice. It has all of the amenities, without the high price or posh amenities. The bar at night was busy and fun, the location is reachable (we choose it as we had a meeting closeby) and affordable. Bed was great, hotel is new as a whole, so everything worked.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

This concept by father&son Chadha is long overdue. Business travellers have become of age in many ways: internet savvy, international, fast lane lifestyle, modern and always looking for ways to avoid queues and uneccessary delays and nonsense you don't need...that is the modern traveller CitizenM is catering for. Perhaps I am the typical representative of that breed of traveller: maybe not that young anymore, but experienced in global travel and after many years of 4- and 5 star hotels you just want to pay for what you truly need in a hotel i.e. not for all the pomp and pretense of the typical London hotel and certainly not for the stuffy old-fashioned, smelly and dated rooms with bad plumbing you normally get at ricidulous prices.
Good beds, no frills, good showers and fast Internet, TV and music when you want it. Something to eat when you feel like it, a good bar and hip and personalized service delivered by staff from all over the world. Good open spaces, doubling as bar, meeting room and breakfast area, that feel like home, TV's and Apple computers everywhere and generally a cool atmosphere.
Had a great time and absolute value for money; this concept is here to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chalky_Africa
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

After already staying at Citizen M Glasgow we were thrilled to find out that one was opening in London. When we organised a family get together in London, we jumped at the chance to book. Due to the snow, we arrived very late but had a warm, friendly welcome and instantly sat down at the modern fire to warm up with some food and gorgeous cocktails from the amazing bar. We were pleased to see that our room was the same as in Glasgow and we enjoyed time relaxing in the bar and library areas whilst we watched the snow fall outside and in the central glass walked garden. The hotel is in an ideal location and there are a number of fantastic restaurants in close proximity.

All in all we had a fantastic time and we will definitely be back again, and again!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 1 February 2013

One of London's newest hotels with a friendly business feel. Great meeting spaces and hot desks for working. Rooms are small but well equipped with exactly what you need for a good nights sleep, if you can put down the room remote control tablet.

Great fun! You have to experience it for yourself.

Reasonably priced for London.

Room Tip: Get your head round how it works and you'll not spend much time in your room.
Reviewed 31 January 2013

You want a 4stars to the price offer of a 3-stars? Go for it! An hotel, just nicely situated behind Tate Modern, so just a 5 minutes walk from Millenium Bridge and 10 minutes from St Paul? Go for it? A place where you check in and out yourself, if needed with the help of charming staff? Go once more for it.... and then let yourself go! In the sublime, crowdy, young and funny athnospher of the lobby, that is in between a trendy bar (with cute, smiling waiters), a library (lots of books and mags all around, a net-laboratory (laptops and i pads everywhere, even in your room)... Then you go up in your flashy room, up to a high bed, fantastic wifi which is speedy, free films, and a very nice shower with 2 kinds of soaps: eh AM (more fresh), and the PM one (more perfumed).... all is very well thought... the place is to keep in memory... if I go back London, I go back Citizen M.... soon in loads of other cities like Paris and Rotterdam.... what started in Amsterdam!

1  Thank ClocloLuxembourg
Reviewed 31 January 2013

From the moment I stepped through the doors, I felt welcome. Staff were very friendly and helped with the online check in, answered any questions I may have etc. Nothing stuffy or pretentious, just a very cool, attractve lobby with a big seating area, design/photography books to browse, 24 hour salad and sushi, bar, cafe etc. There are loads of seating options and as a lone traveller I didn't feel 'lost' like you can in some places.

The whole place is very stylishly designed even the corridors - city view carpets, inspirational quotes etc.

The room was exactly what I wanted. Spotlessly clean, great mood lighting, a really cleverly designed space that was very functional but never felt cramped. The bed is absolutely enormous and the stuffed toy was a very nice little addition. The entertainment, heating etc is all controlled from a tablet which is a good idea in theory and a cool tech addition.

I did have a problem with the blind and curtain which would simply not work and I didn't fancy having no privacy all night. I called the front desk as to give them their dues, someone was there to check it within 10 mins. He explained there was no maintenance man at that time of night so he suggested we just tried to bodge it together (the whole episode was rather comedic). We evertually got it sorted - he was an absolute star and got the problem solved (although it was a total bodge job!). for the inconvenience, he gave me free breakfast the next day - a very good selection of cooked breakfast, pastries, cereals, fruit etc.

Overall, I would definately recommend this hotel to single travellers or couples - not ideal for families though. I think the staff are brilliant, very happy, friendly and have a laid-back, can-do attitude.

Room Tip: City facing rooms are apparently quieter than Southwark facing rooms.