“The best budget hotel in London right now”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #97 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Budget hotels are where its at right now for cost aware business and leisure travelers and although there are many brands which meet this need, most are boring, offer little service and few facilities.
But STOP PRESS. My first stay in a Citizen M hotel in Southwark London was a completely new experience - a stylish budget hotel, with excellent facilities and great service.
The rooms are futuristic 'pods' - about the size of a small touring caravan - with very comfortable beds and pillows, brilliant mood lighting, free wi-fi and movies, a fridge (with free water) and with everything controlled by your own personal Samsung tablet (or moodpad, as they like to call it here).
The public area is great - a good bar with reasonably priced drinks and cocktails - and a breakfast area (with a great cooked breakfast, with good coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice - all for a tenner) - and areas for relaxing and work. You can even borrow a Mac computer!
The location is equally good. Near to the river, next to the Tate Modern and just a 10 min walk from Borough with its market and great foodie culture. Bars and restaurants abound locally.
Great for couples or single business travelers and at £119 per room, there's nowhere which can beat this place in London right now!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,515)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Just returned from 3 nights in London. Never explored Southwark before - my loss! And the hotel was great; friendly staff, clean, warm and very different. Loved the shower, loved the lighting schemes, loved the blinds. Nothing to dislike and once we cottoned on to the RV1 bus (we're the wrong side of 50 so it takes us a while) we could get to Covent Garden in no time at all. But why visit Covent Garden when the fab-u-lous Borough Market is just down the road. Could not recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Funky trendy boutique Hotel with very helpful friendly staff. The rooms are very modern (almost Star Trek), massive beds, free movies, tablet powered room settings (entertainment, lighting etc)

Super lounge & bar area, g8 single pot supper every night. Excellent value for money on the meal deal & a lovely range of wines & beers. I have stayed on business & for pleasure. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Had a really great stay at CitizenM bankside. Stayed for 3 nights with a small party, including small children. Great location with nice view of newly built the Shard (not from our rooms though that had a bit boring view). Rooms are small but still very good value for money considering the location & comfort. I especially like the mood pad that you control the rooms functions view, and the different lighting is good fun (our small kids went bananas with this function and of course mastered the entire mood pad in minutes :-) ).
Really funky interior, designed but with a warm and homely feeling, lots of quirky details and wordings that make you smile.
Nice and friendly staff too - no shortage of service when required.
The only thing that could be improved possibly is the warm section of the breakfast.
I'll be back at CitizenM, regardless if travelling in business or family, fits fantastic for both purposes.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I visit London a lot and I'm particular about hotels. Older properties skeeve me out, so I tend to look for newer properties to start out with. Was just going to revisit places I had stayed before and then I stumbled on CitizenM. The price could not be beat and I love a hip hotel. Although it is a good 15-20 min walk to the Tube I'm planning to stay there again on my next trip. Also, the bus across the street is very handy to getting to Covent Garden area (I am an avid theater-goer and that's basically where I was for much of my trip) and that made my commuting around a lot easier.

First off the room is "small" but no smaller than other London hotels and I was a solo traveler so having the pod of the bathroom in the middle of the room did not bother me. Everything was clean and comfortable. Loved the giant bed and the lightblocking screen on the window. TV could be moody but the tablet to control everything in the room worked for me all of the time.

I tend to travel with a large suitcase and there was room on the floor for it. I unpacked a number of items and hung them in the tiny open closet. But it was all pretty intuitive and the design makes use of the small space well. I did not feel crowded at all. My room faced the street and I did not hear any noise that would have woken me.

I ended up having to work during the day so I spent a lot of time in the canteen downstairs and in my room during the day. It was comfy set-up in the room and the only downside was without a kettle I did not have the flow of caffeine I maybe wanted. So that's why I worked out of the canteen. They will serve tea and coffee in takeaway cups. It was rather noisy downstairs so just bear that in mind. There is an M&S food across the street and I grabbed croissants and other food and put them in the tiny fridge in my room for breakfast. Was a lot more cost effective. But the fridge is tiny so I probably stopped in to M&S food every day or so to get a snack or lunch or something. But could not be beat for conveniece.

The neighborhood felt safe. It was an easy walk over to the Menier, the Young Vic and Old Vic if you too are a theater-goer.

Check-in and check-out went fine even though it is basically up to you to handle it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

From the get go, this was a hotel I knew I'd enjoy staying in.
As soon as I walked in the building, I was greeted by extremely helpful staff and a room that I couldn't take my eyes off. I was asked to check in at the booth and I found it a bit of fun! The check in system is interactive and the staff were happy to assist me when I got confused.
I then went to my room and although small, was absolutely stunning.
The technology integrated into the room was fascinating (whether it be the Samsung tablet to control the features, to the LED lighting above the bathroom area).
The hotel is crafted to perfection with every detail done the right way.

I liked the idea of the canteen and the fact that I could visit it 24/7 and help myself to the food, even more so that you're trusted as a patron and don't feel like the staff are staring you down, waiting for a pound.

The people that worked there were one of the highlights of the stay, and in my seven days spent at the hotel I felt like I got to know them and vice versa. I'd come down for my morning coffee and be greeted by friendly faces, happy to help me in any way they could - it was just so noticeable that the staff were happy to be at work and that they all had different backgrounds - no matter the time I went to the bar, the staff were alert and a pleasure to be around.

For any person that is visiting London, this is the place to be - its an experience that I will never forget and I cannot wait to stay again.

Room Tip: They're all great!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dikkehh
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Citizen M is an edgy, fresh kid on the block located between Waterloo and London bridge. It’s not anywhere near the typical old-English style but is very young, hip ‘design’ style and gives you that pleasant sense of a preference: a members club turned your home. From inviting main area - a big living room with fashion and design books to all these cheeky fun messages across everywhere. In the evenings the bar gets busy and lively with the intelligent crowds coming in for drinks, so it’s a cool spot to hang out in the area as well.
Service team totally lives to the standards: hip and cool but very friendly and helpful and always there with a smile.
Generally the southbank area is quite industrial, so if you plan tourist look-around, the nearest walkable zones of interest include Southwark cathedral, Borough market for food, OXO tower, Tate modern and Globo, also the bridge to St Paul. Busses from the hotel stop go to Aldwych area and Trafalgar sq. Or - it’s 15 minutes walk to Waterloo station/ underground and 8 minutes to London Bridge.
Room was great : everything squeaky new, big comfortable bed, lots of different lightning options including cool blue lighting in the shower and technology fun for those who like to play with buttons. Breakfast was a pleasure: tasty and with a nice choice. There is also an internet space in the main area.
In my view there are just 2 downturns at the moment – there is no real restaurant in the hotel, for those who prefer a proper go–out dinner, just a choice of some ready to go food; and there are some construction works happening nearby, so the noise might be disturbing in the morning if you sleep till later..
Am definitely a proud citizen now, and suggest you join the club

1  Thank AnjaBukina