“Hotels done right”

Ranked #84 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“Hotels done right”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I'm mainly a business traveller, and citizenM does most things right:
- Good location
- Quiet rooms
- Pleasant staff
- Good tv
- Free internet
- Comfortable bed

Only negatives are:
- Slightly too small room
- Sink in room, not in bathroom (makes the floor wet)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you like the hotel from the website I think you will love the hotel. Funky design and comfy beds.

Marks and Spencers is opposite the building. Also opposite is a good pasta restaurant that cooks the food in front of you. Not far is a cafe serving breakfast, although we never tried it. It is easy to get into the center of London and back. Taxi to Hyde Park or kings Cross were £14.

We got a court yard view which is sexy. However, rooms opposite and customers in the corridors can see into your room.

I loved the heating the first night. You can get to a comfortable temperature to enjoy being naked in the room. The next morning the room was stuffy and the fan seemed to make no difference. I longed to open a window but could not. By accident we noticed that running a shower starts an extractor fan that will freshen up the feel of the room.

You can hear people clearly taking as they pass your door but this did not bother us.

The breakfast is below standard and over priced but edible. I would recommend leaving the building and finding somewhere else.

The samsung tablet room controler is a gimmick. Its fun but the feedback is so slow it gets annoying to use.

The communal area was cool and I really liked it. However I could not help thinking that it felt like a public coffee shop/book shop and that I could of hung out there on another day without paying to be in a hotel.

My trip was tainted by having no kettle provided. After a long day out and sore feet I wanted to crash on my bed and relax with a nice hot drink. However the hotel provide no kettle or room service. I complained and requested they bring me a kettle but they refused saying it was company policy to force the guests to use the downstairs cafe because they wanted to create a more sociable communal area.

This meant I went without a comforting drink because we were too tired to venture downstairs. Also in the morning I longed for a drink to re hydrate myself but also wanted to catch some last minutes of comfort in my bed. Plus my girlfriend refused to come because she had no intentions of moving or doing her hair and makeup just to get a drink.

It seems crazy that you pay more for a hotel and they take a valuable service away.

We would have booked a trip to the Glasgow Hotel straight away because we liked the place so much. But not having tea was sorely missed. They have a plug and table so you can take your own kettle. However, we decided that part of the joy of going to a hotel is also having room service.

We had a good time and enjoyed the experience. I doubt we will return but I do recommend you go if my review has not put you off.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deric B
Huizen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Personally I love the whole CitizenM concept! When you're looking for a comfy bed, and you don't intend to spend the rest of the day in your hotel room but love to come back to a special place after a long day of working/shopping/sightseeing/etc…. this is the hotel for you. I have stayed in three of them, and they are all wonderful! Just came back from 2 nights in London, and this CitizenM is again just amazing. We arrived very early in the morning and were able to check in early at a small additional cost, which we did. The 'lobby' in this CitizenM is larger than e.g. Schiphol Airport and Glasgow, and even more impressive, and the staff is extremely nice. Of course the rooms have this fun CitizenM-lighting feature, huge and comfy bed and free movies and wifi. Location is convenient and quiet, 5 minutes walk from 2 tube stations and there's a bus stop in front of the hotel as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EstherM4
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for my wifes birthday.On entering the hotel, we found staff to be polite and keen to help. The room was great, very funky with the biggest bed we've ever seen. Not masses of room to walk around but ideal for short stays.
The mood lighting was amazing and the shower was great. The bed was the most comfortable bed we've slept in, just a shame the pillows were so thick. The only other complaint was the flooring, this was cold when walking on especially after showering leaving wet footprints throughout.
Overal, we would go back to this hotel as loved the location, friendly staff and the experience of staying in this very modern hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

It's a while since I've been to London, from Vancouver though I am a Brit, and don't normally stay in Southbank, but this trip was wonderful. It's a fun place. The beds are enormous and probably the most comfortable that I've slept on for my two week holiday. Everything in the room is very modern and clean. It's all controlled by a samsung tablet from different types of lighting (romantic, business etc), to the TV, alarm, shower lighting (all the colours of the rainbow!). Unfortunately it is quite small even with the enormous drawer under the bed. There is nowhere really to put your suitcases and minimal hanging space. There is a very small fridge and a safe but all that's there is bottled water and 2 plastic glasses. No coffee machine or tea maker. I would have expected this for £196 per night! Not cheap.

The lounge, bar, dining area is lovely. Comfy arm chairs, tables with computers, small area for eating. Funky low hanging lighting and a lovely central bar. You should check the pictures on their web site. They don't do it justice but show you what it's like. A great working area for business men but also a fun place to have a drink and relax after a busy day.

The location is wonderful. A short walk to the Thames and the Tate Modern. Nice restaurants and a great M&S food store opposite the hotel. The staff are lovely. It is a great boutique, trendy, comfortable hotel in a great position but definitely not for families with kids. The rooms are way too small and the bar is mostly for the 30's and up trendy people!

All said I would definitely go back. In fact we are - tomorrow! The end of the holiday so 2 more nights at the CitizenM.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline C
caramel1959
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This place is a bit amazing, a bit small and somewhat overpriced. Nowhere else have I ever been charged to get into a room before 2pm, but at the Citizen M they hit you up for an extra 20 pounds, when obviously the room is ready anyway. I was leaving at the crack of dawn on my check out day, but that was not a consideration in this fee!
However, the room was adequate, though not for a long stay - there was very little floor space for luggage. The vanity basin is in the room and the toilet and shower are in a 'module' - reminiscent of a Formula 1 type hotel, but a bit more classy.
Did love the message on the front doormat . . "Citizen M says 'nice shoes'".
The lounge/bar/dining is extensive and very pleasant. There was a 'help yourself' pot of soup one day (at a cost), that was refreshingly different. Buffet brekky was thrown in after the 4am fire alarm.
The very large 'art book' in the foyer should not be opened randomly by impressionable children!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caramel1959
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was a surprise! We wanted an affordable hotel in Bankside close to the theatre we were visiting. I was expecting a tiny, smoky hovel with a concierge with that look - you know what I mean. Instead we found this modern, chic, european gem. It's true the rooms are small, minimilist and nutty but it works. Very happy stay even if the morning alarm couldn't be turned off <think of a female HAL counting to 100 slowly and deliberately>. Decor is the hotel and the room is quirky and interesting. Not many hotels offer a cuddly toy as a bed companion. I'm not sure I could do this 40 times a year as a businessman but as an overnight in a foreign city (sheesh a Brit turned American saying London is FOREIGN!) it's perfect. If you want a change from dull hotels THIS IS IT!

Room Tip: Meh - streetside or the other side. Nothing in it. You are in the heart of London. You need to pay...