“Fantastic experience”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #95 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was taken here for a weekend break by my husband as a surprise, and what a fantastic surprise it was! The lobby sets the tone for the whole hotel, relaxed, modern but classic with super friendly staff and lots of interesting 'stuff' to enjoy. Lots of interesting books, big sofas and a fire, at the same time as self check in computers, news on multiple screens and apple macs for guest use. Some interesting furniture and fabulous staircase set the whole area off and provide a large relaxed area for guests to use for a variety of purposes.
The rest of the hotel followed this example, full of quirky, interesting touches to intrigue and add sense of fun throughout the building.

The rooms are small but very cleverly designed, with large and very comfy beds. The room is controlled via a tablet - heat, blinds, tv, music, curtains and lighting... very fun! Also free movies which was fun! The bathroom is very compact but fine.

The only slight criticism was there was no tea & coffee facilities, we both like a cuppa in the morning! I'm sure some clever thinking will make this happen as it seems to be the only complaint anyone has!

The canteen area worked really well, that and the bar are open 24hrs. The choice of food is limited and much is pre packaged but there were always some hot options. We didn't eat here in the evening so can't comment but breakfast was great, with everything you might want.

We had a fab time and didn't want to leave, they really have got the balance of contemporary cool and excellent customer service just right. The location is great, just behind the Tate, near London Bridge tube and Borough market. Lots of places to explore, eat and drink.

Room Tip: Some rooms look over the interior courtyard opposite each other and some external, so depending on p...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,510)

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel represents the future of travel. I live in Yorkshire but regularly work in London and a friend of mine frequently stays in Citizen M. I've ignored this recommendation and gone with my standard hotel for months, but I gave in recently and booked a room.

I arrived - no laborious check-in, simple check in stations, no waiting, and it took all of 2 minutes - a good start.

To my room to dump my stuff - and I had been prepared but it's a cool "pod" containing everything I need. Taking centre stage, a gorgeous comfy bed with a plasma at the foot - tick! Everything's controlled by a samsung tablet so within seconds I set the mood remotely (lighting, curtains) set my alarm call and head down to the fabulous lounges to work and grab something to eat.

Here's where the experience really differs. Last week I came here for a drink with Lisa - who is a regular here and recommended me - this week, Kat behind the bar spots me and knows immediately what I want to drink - seriously? I already feel at home and a friendly face and smile makes all the difference.

I then help myself to a delicious thai noodle dish and yellow curry and sit down with my friend and companion mac to get on with some work. The food is delicious, and I'm happy to unwind at the end of the day.

Everything strikes me as easy - I need to print some documents, plug in my laptop, get wifi access - it just works and there's a lot to be said for that. It's like coming home - there's no worry about getting connected or continuing to work - it just happens.

Working away it strikes me that I am alone but not lonely. I hate leaving my very young children, London overnight stays are a chore for me - but not tonight. I look around and the lounge areas are full of people who seem to be the same as me. I can eat on my own, have a drink, work and it feels like I'm in my front room.

I go to the bar for a drink and ask for my usual pinot blush - Adnan says I should try a French version which is the same price and apparently better - he's right! He gives me a glass on the house and I order another - of course! I've experienced poorer customer service in 5 star hotels.

I can't finish without mentioning Diarmaid - friendly, approachable and a complete bastion for the CitizenM brand.

Excellent, on all levels. And I'll tell you tomorrow what breakfast is like. I will certainly never stay in another hotel again…as long as they have availability - this is the future for business travellers.

A proud citizen.

Room Tip: There isn't a swimming pool btw but I had to rate it as something…and nothing should take away f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am wrapping up a 9 day stay at the citizenM Bankside. This was a departure for me from the usual B&Bs I stay at when I am in London and I was pleasantly surprised. I had some concerns from reviews regarding the tiny rooms, but didn't find my room any smaller than the B&Bs I've stayed at. The bed was absolutely heaven. Loved having the giant comforter to wrap up in at night. The bathroom is something out of Star Trek. Tiny but fully functional. The hotel lobby is a lively place to hang out. But, not so lively that you can't curl up by the fire and read a book while sipping a glass of superb wine. Lots of bright colors and funky shapes in the lobby area. Free wi-fi and computers. The rooms, themselves, are "wired". Everything, from the lighting to the window blinds are controlled by a "moon pad". I have to say, the international staff is amazing. From the moment I showed up at the door, jet lagged and exhausted, I have been provided excellent customer service. Need to mention Nacho and Kat at the bar. They are fabulous. So many others I can't begin to name them all. True, there are no coffee making facilities in the room and breakfast is not included. If you care about those things go somewhere else. But, if you want an adventure, this smoke free facility will take you there. As I write this, I am finishing up a bowl of marvelous pea soup. I don't like pea soup, usually. But this, from the hotel's canteen is really, really good! The citizenM is off the tourist trail but with a Tube stop a five minute walk away, it is easy to access all the wonders London has to offer. One last note, this is one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed at. The noise from the lobby does not permeate up to the rooms. Looking for a reason to give this hotel less than 5 stars. I can't find one.

Room Tip: Ask for a "city view" room if you are worried about privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mysticdancer
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

A friendly and lively atmosphere in the lobby. A good mixture of young and older people. Love the super modern and urban style of the hotel and tha Samsung pad that controls "everything" in the room. Comfortable bed. Situated close to London Bridge tube stop.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Hotel was ok. All decor downstairs was great, there was so much to look at and it is very modern. Staff we're very helpful and friendly :-) then you go into the rooms which are cool and funky looking but very small and there was no tea or coffee making facilities, only a hair dryer. The bathroom was so small the sink is within the bedroom. But overall we did have a lovely stay but didn't eat within the hotel so can not comment on the food.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed at the CitizenM last weekend and was really impressed. The reception area is styled in a very contemporary way, and makes for a more comfortable space to relax than other hotels. Bar is open 24hrs, and the food selection (although limited) is of a decent standard.

Rooms are small, but the bed is huge, stretching the entire room-width. All your entertainment, lighting etc is controlled from a tablet, and all movies are free which is a definite rarity. Because of the room size, I perhaps wouldn't stay beyond one or two nights, but would definitely recommend for something a little different.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel is very different to standard accommodation. The style is very modern and the room comes equips with several gadgets such as tablet, mood lighting and electric blinds. The rooms are small but the double beds are big. Everywhere was clean and well presented and the lobby had a nice modern feel to it, like the furniture had been picked out of an art store. All in all I had a great stay, I'd definitely recommend to young couples who want something different and more modern/unique in the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple