“Another great stay”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #95 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 February 2014

After staying at the Amsterdam City location, I knew what to expect - a funky, modern and uber cool hotel - with a unique concept. This was delivered, however it still exceeded my expectations.

All of the rooms in each property, are identical, so no need to get the "best room".

If you are visiting a new location, or somewhere familiar to you, I believe there is no need for the Room Service, Butler and other extras that come with the traditional concept of a hotel. Why waste your time eating ice cream and watching movies, when you could be out exploring?

The rooms are slightly different to Amsterdam City. There is a fridge, the toilet and shower are contained in one area (instead of separately), and the room is controlled by a tablet.

I will always stay in a citizenm property wherever I go, it has everything you need,

Room Tip: Choosing a room on a high floor and facing the courtyard is great and little les noisy.
1  Thank tsmithau
Write a ReviewReviews (3,583)

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night and I really cant fault it. The service when we arrived was welcoming and helpful when we were checking in, the downstairs bar was lively and the service excellent and the room was everything you need for a short stay. The bed was amazingly comfy, so comfy in fact we overslept the next morning! We stayed on the first floor with a view to the front of the hotel and we were not kept awake at all by any noise. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This hotel is comfortable, stylish and simple in every way. The rooms are great with a large range of entertainment, lovely shower and storage space. Walking distance to the Tate Modern and the Thames and a couple of travel options. The lobby is great for meetings or a quite drink while reading the paper or one of the many books! Would stay again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2014

As a visitor to London I cared to stay in a hotel with a strong design sense, for that I chose CitizenM, and I wasnt disappointed! The graphics and posters are nice, the Books range is very intriguing.
The bed is the best bed I have ever slept in! There is nothing I can complain about. The only issue I faced was the limited options of food in the hotel and area surround it.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was taken here for a weekend break by my husband as a surprise, and what a fantastic surprise it was! The lobby sets the tone for the whole hotel, relaxed, modern but classic with super friendly staff and lots of interesting 'stuff' to enjoy. Lots of interesting books, big sofas and a fire, at the same time as self check in computers, news on multiple screens and apple macs for guest use. Some interesting furniture and fabulous staircase set the whole area off and provide a large relaxed area for guests to use for a variety of purposes.
The rest of the hotel followed this example, full of quirky, interesting touches to intrigue and add sense of fun throughout the building.

The rooms are small but very cleverly designed, with large and very comfy beds. The room is controlled via a tablet - heat, blinds, tv, music, curtains and lighting... very fun! Also free movies which was fun! The bathroom is very compact but fine.

The only slight criticism was there was no tea & coffee facilities, we both like a cuppa in the morning! I'm sure some clever thinking will make this happen as it seems to be the only complaint anyone has!

The canteen area worked really well, that and the bar are open 24hrs. The choice of food is limited and much is pre packaged but there were always some hot options. We didn't eat here in the evening so can't comment but breakfast was great, with everything you might want.

We had a fab time and didn't want to leave, they really have got the balance of contemporary cool and excellent customer service just right. The location is great, just behind the Tate, near London Bridge tube and Borough market. Lots of places to explore, eat and drink.

Room Tip: Some rooms look over the interior courtyard opposite each other and some external, so depending on p...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel represents the future of travel. I live in Yorkshire but regularly work in London and a friend of mine frequently stays in Citizen M. I've ignored this recommendation and gone with my standard hotel for months, but I gave in recently and booked a room.

I arrived - no laborious check-in, simple check in stations, no waiting, and it took all of 2 minutes - a good start.

To my room to dump my stuff - and I had been prepared but it's a cool "pod" containing everything I need. Taking centre stage, a gorgeous comfy bed with a plasma at the foot - tick! Everything's controlled by a samsung tablet so within seconds I set the mood remotely (lighting, curtains) set my alarm call and head down to the fabulous lounges to work and grab something to eat.

Here's where the experience really differs. Last week I came here for a drink with Lisa - who is a regular here and recommended me - this week, Kat behind the bar spots me and knows immediately what I want to drink - seriously? I already feel at home and a friendly face and smile makes all the difference.

I then help myself to a delicious thai noodle dish and yellow curry and sit down with my friend and companion mac to get on with some work. The food is delicious, and I'm happy to unwind at the end of the day.

Everything strikes me as easy - I need to print some documents, plug in my laptop, get wifi access - it just works and there's a lot to be said for that. It's like coming home - there's no worry about getting connected or continuing to work - it just happens.

Working away it strikes me that I am alone but not lonely. I hate leaving my very young children, London overnight stays are a chore for me - but not tonight. I look around and the lounge areas are full of people who seem to be the same as me. I can eat on my own, have a drink, work and it feels like I'm in my front room.

I go to the bar for a drink and ask for my usual pinot blush - Adnan says I should try a French version which is the same price and apparently better - he's right! He gives me a glass on the house and I order another - of course! I've experienced poorer customer service in 5 star hotels.

I can't finish without mentioning Diarmaid - friendly, approachable and a complete bastion for the CitizenM brand.

Excellent, on all levels. And I'll tell you tomorrow what breakfast is like. I will certainly never stay in another hotel again…as long as they have availability - this is the future for business travellers.

A proud citizen.

Room Tip: There isn't a swimming pool btw but I had to rate it as something…and nothing should take away f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am wrapping up a 9 day stay at the citizenM Bankside. This was a departure for me from the usual B&Bs I stay at when I am in London and I was pleasantly surprised. I had some concerns from reviews regarding the tiny rooms, but didn't find my room any smaller than the B&Bs I've stayed at. The bed was absolutely heaven. Loved having the giant comforter to wrap up in at night. The bathroom is something out of Star Trek. Tiny but fully functional. The hotel lobby is a lively place to hang out. But, not so lively that you can't curl up by the fire and read a book while sipping a glass of superb wine. Lots of bright colors and funky shapes in the lobby area. Free wi-fi and computers. The rooms, themselves, are "wired". Everything, from the lighting to the window blinds are controlled by a "moon pad". I have to say, the international staff is amazing. From the moment I showed up at the door, jet lagged and exhausted, I have been provided excellent customer service. Need to mention Nacho and Kat at the bar. They are fabulous. So many others I can't begin to name them all. True, there are no coffee making facilities in the room and breakfast is not included. If you care about those things go somewhere else. But, if you want an adventure, this smoke free facility will take you there. As I write this, I am finishing up a bowl of marvelous pea soup. I don't like pea soup, usually. But this, from the hotel's canteen is really, really good! The citizenM is off the tourist trail but with a Tube stop a five minute walk away, it is easy to access all the wonders London has to offer. One last note, this is one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed at. The noise from the lobby does not permeate up to the rooms. Looking for a reason to give this hotel less than 5 stars. I can't find one.

Room Tip: Ask for a "city view" room if you are worried about privacy.
1  Thank Mysticdancer