“Tiny and brilliant!”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #85 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Never have I stayed in such a small, sparsely decorated room.. And I absolutely loved it!

CitizenM have boiled down the normal hotel room to create the perfect inner-city experience. Enormous bed, excellent shower with huge fluffy towels, and a load of hi-tech fun including very fast free wifi.

Downstairs is just as good, with a great bar, good friendly staff and more free gadgets, and there's a hilariously quirky sense of humour running through the whole place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tycroes69

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Superb contemporary design. Young, fresh, hip character. Different. High tech ambience. Conveniently located. These are some words and phrases to describe citizenM. Great hospitality concept that really matches the needs of the modern traveler. At first I was hesitant. Hospitality is all about human interaction and communication."I don't like checking myself in to a lifeless screen", I thought. I was wrong! Automatic check in was very quick, efficient and all billing and invoice info were there at a glance! I was welcomed and greeted by a shift ambassador who explained all hotel services within a minute and was ready to assist me if I had any problem with my e-check in (word "ambassador" in citizenM has replaced the word "staff". What a great example of creative marketing thinking. Leaving out a so conventional term!). Lobby design and bar restaurant area spacious and contemporary. Not boring and impersonal like most of the big international branded hotels. Room and toilet size was quite small but OK for single occupancy, maybe a bit squashed for double occupancy. No spacious closet but there is a very clever storage drawer under the bed. Best part is that you have your own in room tablet for handling everything. With just a few taps on the screen you close the blind, you open the lights, you choose a light scenario (romance, party, relax, etc), you set the alarm clock or you choose your TV program! All these lie down on your bed! Room and all hotel facilities very clean. Breakfast is typical English. The only cheese is a mini Babybel and the only sliced cold meat is bacon (no ham, no turkey, no salami). I would prefer a more European buffet with English breakfast tastes of course. And of course my quest for freshly squeezed orange juice still goes on. Apart from some Greek 5 star hotels and 1 hotel in Turkey all other European properties I have stayed in (and there are a lot) use low quality concentrated mixed with water juices. I have to admit that food styling in the breakfast buffet is wonderful, though. Ambassadors are great! Girl from Turkey, guy from Spain, guys in the bar, all of them full of smiles and helpful and they all have a chat with you. Tube is less than 10 minutes walking distance. Overall, if you are in search for repeater guests, please count me in!!!

Room Tip: There are some constructions going on at the building located at the back side of the hotel. Back vi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank david_villa78
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We usually stay at a hotel in Bloomsbury, but decided to try something different for this trip. And different the Citizen M certainly is! The rooms are small--the king-size bed literally takes up one entire end of it, which makes getting in and out a little awkward for us senior citizens--but they are very efficiently set up, with plenty of storage space and even room for a small desk, a chair, and a stool. We had fun playing around with the mood lighting and loved the rain shower in the bathroom. The air conditioning wasn't working well when we arrived (London was having a "heat wave"--highs around 80 degrees F.), but someone was sent immediately to fix it, and we had no problems after that. We enjoyed the spacious lobby area and had drinks in the attractive bar a couple of times. The neighborhood offered plenty of interesting shops and restaurants, and we particularly enjoyed being close to the Tate Modern, Borough Market, the Globe Theatre, and the Thames walk. The tube stop was a 10-minute walk away, but even better was the RV1 bus that stopped almost in front of the hotel and delivered us to Covent Garden in one direction and Tower Bridge in the other. We enjoyed our experience and would certainly stay at Citizen M again in the future.

Room Tip: We chose an outside room which looked out on a construction site. There was no noise, but an interi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank conwoman43
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at Citizen M Bankside. In particular, the service was outstanding. We had some out-of-the ordinary things that we needed assistance with and the staff went out of their way to answer our questions and provide us with help. I have stayed at many different hotels around the world covering the low end to the high end of the price range and I am hard-pressed to remember any experience where the staff did more to help with questions and also to follow up to be sure that advice actually proved to be useful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fred C
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The rooms here may be small, but they are truly stylish and extremely comfortable. We visited London for a Eurovision party, but ended up having a takeaway and watching it in our room instead! I especially liked the fact that you can adjust and change the lighting in the room.
Everything worked fine in the room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was great. The location is as good as it can get.
We also had some cocktails from the bar downstairs and they were lovely. Also asked for a bucket of ice and got it with no fuss. One of the staff members at the bar was a bit grumpy, but that didn't put us off. Will visit again especially with such reasonable prices.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Rooms are small but reasonably priced, stocked full of amenities and clean. Beds are comfy! The lobby is great to hang out in which makes the room size a non-issue. Staff was very pleasant, helpful and cheery. Convenient location next to grocery, ATMs and shops. Easy walk to the tube station and buses for further travel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my wife's birthday and it was perfect. Very modern, loved the decor. Rooms little on the small side but this worked as the gadgets inside really made up for it, although my wife was not best part pleased that I couldn't stop playing with the colour lighting! Staff very friendly, will defiantly return!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple