“far too expensive for the rooms”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #85 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Good location and uber trendy downstairs, including self check in (very impersonal) - however £189 for a night without breakfast far too expensive for the room. Bed although large, only allows for one person to be able to get as is against the wall - very annoying having to climb over annoyed husband in middle of night for a wee! - Also very state of the art controlling lights etc via an ipad but not so clever in the middle of the night when you would really like to put on the toilet light.
Rooms are very small and not exactly comfortable, the shower encloser reminded me of a stay we had in a formula one in France - need I stay more! On the upside it was good to have the free movies, but quite honestly a premier inn we may have had to pay but the over all stay would have been much cheaper! Another positive were the black out blinds which worked very well.
however if asked again would we stay again the answer would be a resounding no at £189 however if it was much cheaper then possibly

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hi "jsnowybear",

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I'm sorry that you felt your stay with us was not value for money. Our mantra at citizenM is "affordable luxury for the people". We set out to create a hotel for a new breed of smart traveller who demands luxury and style but doesn't want to pay a 5* price.

We are the first to recognise that our rooms are small. We do not hide from this fact. Our citizens simply require a place to crash after a long day working or touring in the city. We all know that space is a premium in London and that is why we are able to offer such competitive rates in the city. Our guests are not paying for 'wasted space'. Key for us is providing a great bed and powerful rain shower. Luxury shampoo, big fluffy towels and a professional hairdryer that works are all features that our guests expect too. We've done away with the trouser press and the bath suite because, quite simply, our guests do not want this. Furthermore, our living rooms serve as an extension of the bedroom where guests can relax and socialise in a design-led environment and are made to feel comfortable, as if they were at home.

I hope this helps explain who we are so you are better informed when choosing where to stay next time in London.

Best,

citizenMarc

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Neat and tidy with very small rooms. Worst breakfast I've ever had at a hotel, not even cheese or marmelade to put on your sandwich. And the experimental background music that is played in every public area can get really annoying after a while.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Daniel A
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to read that you didn't enjoy our breakfast offering. We have worked hard to source the very best quality from local suppliers. That's why our organic cereal comes from an artisan supplier at Borough market. That's why our orange juice is 100% freshly squeezed from the brilliant Sundance company who supply the city's best hotels and restaurants. As for the marmalade, we are proud to serve a Lemon and Earl Grey Marmalade which is a beautiful twist on the more traditional variety- a bit like citizenM really! Perhaps you missed this when taking your breakfast with us- I'm sorry for that.

As for the music in our living room I'm sorry you never liked it. Our music changes throughout the day to suit the mood and we often get great feedback about this from our guests. But hey, I guess musical preference is always going to be subjective.

Wishing you safe travels,

citizenMarc

Reviewed 17 June 2014

After a couple of stays in the Citizen M Amsterdam, this was my first stay at Citizen M London. Well located at the South Bank, a couple of minutes walking from public transport, this hotel offers the great concept of having a huge common "living area" on the ground floor and very modern but basic rooms. The big difference with Citizen M Amsterdam is that here bath and toilet are in a separate space in your room (quite traditional) as opposed to the "beam me up" cilinders you find in Amsterdam. I had a pleasant stay, slept well in the king size bed and would certainly come back another time.

Room Tip: In a Citizen M hotel all the rooms are similar on the inside.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I wanted a unique hotel within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, and the tube stations without spending an exorbitant amount. This hotel fit the bill for these reasons and more!

From the second we entered the lobby, I was in awe. This hotel is absolutely stunning and immediately exceeded our expectations! The rooms are tiny as the description says, but very well equipped and lovely. The hotel staff was all extremely kind and helpful.

We also loved the 24 hour lobby bar, and bonded with one of the amazing bartenders, Greg, over his signature French martinis.

Without doubt, we will be visiting this hotel again! I honestly have no complaints!

Room Tip: If you aren't spending much time in the room, don't bother paying extra for the upgraded vie...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I really didn't want to write a review since this hotel is so busy and I want to have the hotel always have room for me to stay when I am in London. However, a hotel that is considered fantastic by both teenagers and my 80 year old mother must be commended. Although the property looks great and is very high tech--it is the staff that makes this place extra special. All the staff could not have been more helpful to my entire family. Michael, a favorite of all of ours, is just superb at checking people in and guiding them through anything that they could possibly need. He will do anything, including bringing up tons of luggage, arranging extra pillows, giving directions, making phone calls--anything that you can think of. He is incredibly nice, as is all the staff that we encountered. I wish that I could remember the name of the lovely woman who would not give up late at night until she could have my documents printed for me. Another member of staff ran into the kitchen to get me a few extra little cheeses for my flight home. I could go on and on. However, the person who deserves the most credit and deserves tons of praise is the amazing manager--Eylem. She is always running around the hotel, insuring that every detail, no matter how small, is perfect for her guests. She is a superb hotel manager. CitizenM is so lucky to have her working for them. Some day, I predict she will be running the whole chain of their hotels. That will be the best day for CitizenM and all those who stay at their properties!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice hotel and friendly staff. The rooms were modern and the tablet provided to control the room was cool. Good value for money. Location was handy as a 5 minute walk to southwark tube station and 10 minute walk to london bridge station.

1  Thank Suzanne292
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We recently stayed at citizenM and very much enjoyed this innovative, modern and stylish hotel, which offers a unique hotel concept that we would gladly choose to experience again in the future.

What we liked

Easy and quick reservations through booking.com, quick computer based check-in upon arrival, luggage storage, accommodating staff. Everything moves quickly yet at a comfortable pace at citizenM.

Lobby, kitchen and bar areas are all spacious, well furnished and decorated in a travel-cool, trendy and tasteful manner. Good background music was played and free Wifi provided. Plenty of sofas, chairs, tables, laptop stations, books, TVs and style! Umbrella lending service is also available, quite helpful in cities like London.

Rooms are modularised and ergonomically smart, making effective use of all space. The XL king size bed effectively takes up the back part of the room, was a welcome size, soft and comfy, providing excellent rest. Rooms come with adequate and clever luggage storage under the bed, furnishings, suitable bathroom facility, modern fixtures, small fridge, large safe, flat screen TV with plenty of channels and a fair selection of movies and excellent wifi service. All this somehow squeezed into a 16 square meter room with plenty of left over space, seems impossible but they pull it off.

The room is also centrally controlled with a tablet that allows simple operation of the room lights, TV, movies, alarm clock and window shades. We liked the various mood settings. In short, the rooms at citizenM are good quality and functional, yet modern and stylishly cool as well.

Hotel Location is good if you want to visit Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, Borough Markets and other Bankside attractions. There are a fair number of restaurants and bars in the area as well.

What we didn't like as much

Early check-in available but at a cost of £19.95 extra payment. That is too much for being able to access your room a few hours before scheduled check-in. As a compromise, they offer free luggage storage.

Location - a bit too far away from Tube stations, the closest being London Bridge (9 minute walk) and Southwark (8 minute walk). Not ideal for 1st time visitors on a short trip to London and wanting to visit the usual major tourist attractions (eg. British Museum, Big Ben and Trafalgar Square).

Food and Drinks - breakfast seemed too pricey for what they were serving. There are other options nearby that we might suggest trying instead.

Overall, we found citizenM to be a very good hotel that will be quite appealing to modern day travellers. While many hotels fade out of memory shortly after staying, citizenM is one of those that you will remember for a while and hope to return to someday. We will definitely stay with one of their hotels again in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, everyone (citizens) are treated equally in terms of room allocations! Street...
6  Thank BradJill