“What a fantastic hotel.”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #86 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The clean, pod-like rooms with mood lighting are fantastic. Awesome shower in the rooms too. You can control the whole room with the 11" tablet that they supply you with. This includes the curtains, the colour and brightness of the room, the tv, etc. Probably the coolest room I have ever stayed in

Staff are friendly and there is a late bar. The foyer is very stylish and there is loads of places to relax. The hotel is pretty cental in London and it's a couple of tubes away from Paddington where you can get the Heathrow express to take you to the airport.

This is probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Enjoy.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have just spent my first night of 3 here and I am very impressed indeed. The hotel is wonderfully quirky and modern and highly IT enabled. There is free and fast wifi throughout the hotel and guests can also use the iMacs in the lobby area free of charge. The lobby/bar area is itself a work of art and contains plenty of modern and comfortable seating, with plenty of newspapers and books for guests.

The rooms and bright and spotlessly clean and everything is controlled from a Samsung tablet, from the mood lighting to the entertainment centre, which includes free films as well as TV and radio. The bed is king size and extremely comfortable, and the shower area and toilet is brilliantly designed, with perhaps the best hotel towels I have used in a long time. Electronically controlled black-out curtains make for a very good night's sleep.

The hotel is conveniently located for both London Bridge and Southwark tube stations and is in what looks like a very newly developed part of Southwark, with some good bars and restaurants nearby.

In summary, I am very impressed indeed and I am looking forward to the rest of my stay!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hi "NJI1970",

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you are enjoying your stay so far. Feel free to come down to the bar to say 'Hi!' There's a cold beer here waiting for you....

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I loved london but it was amazing to be at a place where I can find a friendly environment. Enrique is one of the best employee I came across. What an amazing night. Would love to recommend someone who wants a fun night. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Hi Nilesh,

I'm delighted to read that enjoyed your recent stay here. Thanks for sharing your review with other readers. In particular it's great to read that Enrique looked after you so well. We work hard to deliver exceptional guest satisfaction and it looks like we succeeded here.

Hope to see you back in Bankside soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a very modern, possibly alternative model hotel. I am not speaking only of the architecture - which might be debatable and certainly not to everyone's taste. The atmosphere in the common areas - hall and small internal yard - is pleasant, laid-back and energising. The food is of acceptable quality, good breakfast, plain boring for dinner. What truly makes a difference is, however, the hotel staff. I have been there this week for the third time, and again I was surprised by their willingness to do more. In fact, young as they are, they compensate what is sometime perhaps a lack of experience with energy, smiling faces and - simply put - high professionalism.
I would like to personally thank and signal Eylem's great tactfulness and ability to orchestrate her team. Again, Elys, Dorian, Rasa, Marika, ... they all walk the extra mile to provide you with a personal touch that is rare and hard to find somewhere else. I wish not single out the above individuals, but honestly cannot remember all the names. The staff at the reception has also proven exceptional, and I wish to personally give thanks to a Spanish young man that, no later than yesterday, sorted me out of a troubled situation. Again, with a smile and exceptional lightness.

Room Tip: All rooms are standard. the CitizenM formula implies all are treated as equals. If you are looking f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hi "Tavvy"

Thank you for sharing your views on TripAdvisor. We welcome your feedback. citizenM was created for citizens just like you. It's all well and good having modern living rooms full of Vitra furniture but we like to think that what really sets us apart is the service that our Ambassadors provide. It is wonderful to read that the team made such an impression on you.

"Travelling tends to magnify all human emotions" as the saying goes- hope to welcome you back to one of our hotels on your next travel adventure.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Yes, the rooms are tiny, but I was well prepared for that having been told by my partner (Citizen M at Schiphol before a US-bound flight) and having read the description closely. And that was actually a big part of the charm of the hotel: I needed a functional room while travelling, I would sleep for about 90% of the time I would be there, and a good bed is my main requirement. Well, once I get out of bed I want a good breakfast, and that too did not disappoint here.

Amenities are not quite the same as in other hotels, both in terms of what you get and what you don't get.
What you get:
A well-designed hotel with quality furnishings, one of the fastest check-ins ever (a wonderful, intuitive DIY affair), a nice self-service breakfast buffet and 24/7 small meals and snacks that are miles from any greasy spoon, all at affordable prices (the pre-packed sushi turned out to be better than the fresh-ish sushi close by), a very room 2m x 2m bed, and a very nice tech experience in the room that admittedly will get old after a day or two, but hey, for the first time it was great.

What you don't get, but sort of do get (read on):
Oodles of closet space, as it is an open-hanging affair, but then this is likely not a hotel where you would arrive with a steamer trunk for a month's stay.
No iron and ironing board, but hey, down the hallway is a separate room with a brilliant ironing board (not one of those wonky affairs hellbent on slicing off your fingers) and excellent iron - and you don't have to set it up as it is ready and waiting for you!
No tea and in-room coffee making facilities , but pop down to the bar and for about 1.35 pounds (or thereabouts) you get very good tea with real milk, not that dodgy powder or "real milk" substitute even 5-star hotels are happy to serve you.

Will I stay here for a week? Mmmm, not likely if I need to spend a lot of waking hours here, unless I am working a lot (btw, wifi was super fast and did not drop connections for VPN), as one might feel a bit holed up after a few hours. But for a short stay I definitely can recommend this without a doubt.
The crowd was fairly trendy and at night time it did seem as if all the offices in the neighbourhood had emptied out their staff into the lobby, which was packed to the rafters and a bit noisy, but two floors up (between the lobby/bar floor and the first floor with bedrooms there is a conference floor as far as I could see) I did not hear a thing.

My room faced the inner courtyard and was very quiet, so I cannot comment on street-facing rooms, but given the traffic I can imagine those to be more noisy - some reviews did hint at that.

A fair number of places to eat in the neighbourhood. Two supermarkets (one directly across the road, open till about 9 or 10pm as I recall) and a convenience store close by. 5 min walk to Tate Modern, which is a very good option for lunch.

If you prefer chintz and a nice oak table with rustic touches, then this hotel is definitely not for you. Despite the very trendy crowd I saw a highly varied age group, so this is not a hotel for the very young only. To be recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hi "FDanvers",

Thanks for spending the time to offer your feedback here on TripAdvisor. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay here. You certainly have hit the nail on the head when it comes to explaining what citizenM is all about! You truly are a fully fledged mobile citizen of the world now.

Look out for more exciting citizenM's opening in London over the next 12 months!

See you soon,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for my 30th birthday last year! We didn't want to stay in an over the top hotel where you felt out of place, it's just not our thing! We had never stayed at this hotel but my partner had heard of it on business! You check yourself in on arrival, they put our cases away as we early for going to the room. But the great thing was that we were central to everything so we could walk everywhere to save on taxis!!!!! It's a very modern hotel, so don't stay here if you like the traditional, classical looks. The lobby is filled with art,fashion, books, computers, a very nice bar serving very nice cocktails. It's how I would want an office room or lobby to my house. Vogues, Kate Moss book donning the shelves, I was in heaven. The corridors had a lovely feel to them, muted lighting with cool pictures on the wall! The rooms were small but this didn't matter. The bed took up the far side of the room, from wall to wall, corner to corner!!!!! With curtains infront of it and and a blind over the window that you controlled with a remote!!!As was the TV and I believe the lighting. We stayed here for 2 nights and it was amazing!!!!!We will definitely be back!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Lucy,

It's great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our team of ambassadors work hard to ensure that our guests leave only with smiling faces and happy memories and it looks like we succeeded here. Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

Looking forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for my 30th birthday last weekend and absolutely loved it. Not a cheap hotel but on a par with most other 4* hotels we looked at for the weekend. Room was clean, comfy bed, lovely breakfast, very helpful staff and the overall style of the place is very impressive. We loved that everything in the room was controlled by a Samsung tab, even the blinds!And its only a 5 minute walk from the tube.
Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MrsJa9
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hi MrsJa9!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to read you enjoyed your birthday celebrations with us over the weekend. Glad you loved our breakfast and our funky tablets in the rooms. I hope to welcome you back at citizenM soon!

And remember, you're not really 30; you're 18 with 12 years of experience!

Safe travels and happy memories,