“Newly converted Citizen, right here!”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #89 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Newly converted Citizen, right here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at CitizenM after my friends recommended it to me as a unique stay for a good price in a central London position and so easy to get to the sights of the city. I have to say I wasn't disappointed. The first impression I had as I walked into the central lobby was "wow, this *is* a bit quirky.. but I like it!". The check-in was painless and efficient since you check yourself in with a member of staff to hand if you get stuck - no fussing around, or endless queues at reception like you might usually get, just a few quick taps on a touch screen and you're done, room designated and room key programmed, and off you go.

The room I had met all my needs - with a hairdryer, safe, room to hang clothes, small desk, mini-fridge and spacious bathroom. Then of course there was the bed - which was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - it was massive, and doubles up as your "sofa". The linen was crisp, and the pillows were fluffy, and the duvet perfect for a room set with the aircon on about 16 degrees.

The room environment is controlled by a tablet, so things like light levels, mood lighting, TV, music and aircon etc are all controlled from just one device, which was brilliant. You can even set the room up with predefined modes, such as Party, or Relax. There aren't any tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but who likes UHT milk anyway? And besides, the Cafe bar in reception served me with a fantastic latte, much better than anything I could have concocted in my room.

The hotel has a nice outside atrium area in the center of the building, and it offers lots of different seating areas where you can just relax, grab a drink, read the papers or just people watch. They serve food from the buffet style Cafe, which also doubles up as the bar. The food and drinks were all top notch.

The staff at the hotel were also very friendly and keen to be of service, but not in a horrible obtrusive kind of way, just genuine good natured people doing a good job and ensuring your stay is trouble free. I have to say here a special mention to the hotel manager, Marc. So impressed was I by the hotel beds I emailed him to ask what beds they were so I could look into getting one for myself and I had a reply back within 24 hours - with the full specification. Brilliant customer service - can not fault it.

I'd recommend CitizenM to anyone looking for a special stay in London that doesn't cost that much more than staying in more familiar hotel chains - you won't be disappointed. I certainly wasn't, and I'm looking forward to my next stay with them already.

Room Tip: Internal rooms are quieter - ones with an Atrium view. All the beds in the hotel are Supreme / Super...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AbiHou
citizenmatt, General Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
dear citizen AbiHou

good to hear we have made a citizen of you....welcome to the growing band of travellers that want luxury for not too much cash and who cherish a great bed, powerful showers, free wifi, free movies and a team that just want to make you feel at home in our amazing living room and canteenM.

Having the same bed as us isn't an excuse not to come back and stay

sleep well and safe travels

citizenMatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I stayed one night in Citizen M London. The hotel was easy to find and near good transport links. The Hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. The rooms clean, fantastic operating everything from the touch of an ipad!
Thanks Citizen M, we will be back

Room Tip: Al the rooms are the same, depends what you like to see from the window
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
citizenMarc, Manager at citizenM London Bankside, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
citizenSusan,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I'm happy to read that your family had fun with us in Bankside.

As St Augustine once said 'the world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page'.

Wishing you safe travels where ever that may take you next.

Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Although a couple of weeks since our third visit to this Citizen M, it was full of good humour and a sheer joy as previously. What we find so special are the staff teams who not only remembered us, but as always go out of their way to make one feel so valued and wanted. Nothing seems too much trouble and constantly one is made to feel so welcome.

This hotel is a different concept to the normal, and we have been fortunate to experience top quality hotels in many parts of the world, however, for London and a different experience we love this place and would not wish to be anywhere else. But as said above, it is made by all of its people from the very accessible and caring management downwards.

I have reviewed this Citizen M before when we stayed last February for a very special occasion for my wife, and this more detailed review can be accessed below this one. Nothing has changed, and standards have certainly not diminished in any way with the passage of time. It is clearly the case that ongoing enhancement of their customers experience and standards of delivery are fundamental to the great success of this hotel.

Regarding the hotel itself, as mentioned by some other reviewers, the rooms are a little small but very cleverly designed providing a large and comfortable double bed and very adequately sized "shower pod" including a rain shower. Excellent free WiFi, free films, variable lighting moods and other technological innovations are available and controlled through an electronic tablet. These work well and are great fun. Cleanliness is excellent throughout.

However, this is not a place to stay in your room, as the whole downstairs area offers so many options and variations to enjoy or to relax in. Excellent breakfasts and individual barista made coffees, etc., also in this area, provide a wonderful way to enjoy a lazy relaxed start to your day if wished. This area is also a most sociable venue for meeting people, enjoying a drink or light refreshments, or generally relaxing throughout the daytime and evenings. All of this contributes so majorly to the whole experience.

Briefly, this hotel's locality is also most convenient for good underground access to the Jubilee Line, The Tate Modern and the Thameside Walk, Borough Market, London Bridge, many good restaurants, etc., etc., in this up and coming South Bank area of London. For us, it's location is convenient in every way,

It is important, I believe, to review this really excellent establishment, however, alternatively one could be forgiven for being a little selfish and regarding it as "One of London's Best Kept Secrets" only!!!! But they really do deserve much praise!

Our thanks again to everyone who made our last visit so special again. Now really looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher H
Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for posting a second comprehensive review on TripAdvisor. You're absolutely right- we may be one of London's best kept secrets but we always encourage feedback from our many raving fans and take delight in reading reviews. It's a pat on the back for all the hard work our team puts in to deliver exceptional guest satisfaction.

We set very high standards here and it's reassuring to know that the service levels you received were just as high second time around.

Looking forward to welcoming you back for your 'hat-trick' visit,

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Citizen M is located behind the Tate Modern in Bankside. It is a really useful location for Waterloo, London Bridge and the City. Great vibe, good coffee and plenty of space. I think that there is free wifi as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your kind review. The WIFI is free here you're right to assume. It's also fast and reliable and no password is needed to connect. We're simply reacting to what our mobile citizens demand in this tech-savvy modern world.

I'm glad you enjoyed our meeting room spaces. SocietyM has been a big hit here in Bankside and our rooms offer a creative and luxurious space for the business nomad.

Hope to see you again here soon.

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The perfect stay for 1 adult & 1 teenager!
We stayed at citizenM for 3 nights. Booking was easy, communication, too. It is a modern, clean, 100% service oriented hotel with a perfect location. The wonderful bed, a rich breakfast, complete ipad-controlled room logistics (lights, entertainment, AC, rollos, etc) made our stay very relaxing and smart. Thanx to all the cool design elements in the hotel, my son wishes a new room now at home, too ;-)

Room Tip: Great stay for adults as well as for teenagers!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hi "R0saR0t'',

Many thanks for the kind words! It's wonderful to know that you and your son had a great time here. Sadly you can't take our rooms away with you although I do sympathise! You can take away memories of a wonderful stay however.

Looking forward to seeing you back here soon.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Trendy hotel, really modern lobby full of designer furniture and cool bar.

Room was spotlessly clean and made such efficient use of space, very comfy & large bed, rain shower was great.
The location is excellent walking distance to London Bridge and Southwark tube stations.
Great staff! very well looked after by Enrique.
It was a fun & unique stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gilly S
Hi Gilly S

"Outstanding", praise indeed, thank you. So good to hear that the team took such good care of you, especially Enrique. It's always great when the team get mentioned by name; we are passionate about what we do and making people smile makes us feel good. Enrique is bursting with pride right now.

I hope to welcome you back to citizenM soon

safe travels

citizenMatt
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my bf in January! Picked this spot because of the great reviews here and the competitive price! It was a great little find.... It is exactly what it says on the tin!!
The rooms are small but the beds are huge! It's very funky and we loved it! The bed and shower are both amazing and the place is spotlessly clean..... What more do you want from a hotel room. You don't come to London to hang out in your hotel room. There is plenty of room in the lobby to chill out and relax and this is encouraged.
The location is great, 10 min walk to London Bridge train station, which brings you straight to Gatwick airport. It is walking distance to the London Eye and London Bridge (i did it easily with a badly injured leg)
Go and stay with an open mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
We loved the concept and will be trying more of the Citizen hotels in the future.

Stayed January 2014