“Excellent customer service!!!”

Ranked #885 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent customer service!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

What brilliant customer service! The kind reception and very helpful staff really made an impression on me and because of this I will make this my new London base for the 6 - 8 times I come for work each year. It's very close to Paddington station with lots of places to eat close by and easy access to the rest of the city.

Good customer service can smooth a lot of rough edges as far as I'm concerned! The only really rough edge for me was that I like a softer mattress...but I'm not complaining. My room was very clean, the bedding comfortable, and the toilet/shower cubicle was very clean and not a hint of mould.

If you're looking for Downton Abbey keep looking. But if you're like me and you just want a clean and comfortable place with great customer service then this is the place. I didn't have any of the problems that any of the other reviews have talked about...in fact, I asked for a fan and got it and they refrigerated my fresh milk till I wanted it at 5:00 am!

I'll be back.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping if there is ambient noise ask them for the quietest room. I was downs...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Hungarian first
Apopka, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

As with 2 other reviewers on this site, my reservation was also taken but when I checked in, I was informed that there were no rooms in the Avon and was told that I would be staying in another hotel (St David's) just down the road! Disgusting hotel with nice reception staff. Do not get suckered into this scam.

Room Tip: Make sure there is a room available at your SELECTED hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TRACEY J

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ramat Gan, Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed in Avon for 2 weeks and this was the most weird hotel experience I ever had. The positive sides of this hotel are its location very close to Paddington railway and underground stations, nice staff and the full English breakfast served every morning. But that's practically all the good sides of this hotel. The hotel has no lift, so if you have your room at the higher floor your need to pull your suitcases up the steep steps not matter how heavy your cases are. The room was extremely small, there was in a cupboard hardly a room for my suitcase. The room has no safe, fridge or air-conditioner in it, the last thing being especially bad, given that when I stayed in London the temperatures there revolved around +30. The bed was quite hard to sleep on it, the shower worked in a strange manner, you needed to do a PhD thesis to figure out how to regulate hot/cold water in it. There is no door between the toilet/shower and the sleeping room itself. Also this hotel requires a plumber as you hear all the night the water splashing in the shower. The towels and bed-linen were not changed every day, but once in several days. Upon check-out when paying with credit card hotel charges your credit card by something like 35 pounds. I do not think I ever will stay in this hotel once again when coming to London

Room Tip: It is better to have a room at higher floor at the back of the hotel as it is quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Leonid R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Situated in Paddington right next to St. Mary's hospital it was a great location for our family to catch metro, find great restaurants close by, but even better were the public bus lines that ran close to hotel to many spots around London. The hotel is old as with most things in Europe, but family owned. The breakfast supplied was great and the owners do their best to make you welcomed. Downside was no elevators and no aircondition. Staying during record heat wave was not pleasant. We stayed on 3rd floor, so if you've got heavy lugggage your in for quite a workout getting up narrow stairs. For value, location, character, and more of a small business type of environment the Avon hotel is good. If you're expecting a full service hotel this place is not for you.

1 Thank kkchan1
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

First the hotel lost our confirmation, need to call them back with this. Then, as other travelers, we were informed we needed to go to a different hotel. Had a bit of a mix up checking in as the name on the reservation had also been changed. However, once we did get to our room it was fine, small but clean. We paid 158 pounds for a triple. Breakfast was good and we were on our way to Paddington which is a short walk away.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Can't say much about the Avon Hotel, as I only saw the lobby. Semi-shabby. They were over-booked and moved me to the worst hotel I have ever stayed in outside of Mexico, a block away called the Park. I had booked the Avon well in advance. 167 pounds I paid for the worst possible mattress, where one could actually feel the springs just under the surface of the fabric. The flushes and showers of the surrounding rooms were the constant sounds I endured all night as accompaniment to weird intermittent loud machines running something and the traffic outside the single-paned glass windows. There was also a flood light shining on my bedroom window, which made it impossible to darken the room. Shop carefully for your hotel room, people. You can usually get a very good room for 167 pounds in London. The breakfast room table was so sticky I could not lift my saucer under the coffee cup. No hair dryer, no shampoo and the soaps were unwrapped. One could smell the fact that the blankets used on the beds were unwashed. I was so tired from my journey I could not possible be bothered to search around London during Wimbledon to find a hotel. But I should have this was AWFUL!

Room Tip: Do not pay for your room! until you confirm you will have a room in the hotel that you have booked...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Neubecker
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel was great for me personally. While the rooms were quite small and average looking, it did the job! It's location was fantastic for getting around and the general decor was charming. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. The breakfast provided in the morning was lovely and when i retired to my room, i was able to watch a small amount of TV before going to sleep. I would recommend this hotel for its quaint but likeable manner and location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor, while quite small, avoid a lot of the noise coming from outside. But if y...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends