“bad experience”

The Dictionary Hostel
Ranked #30 of 897 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hostel is a beautiful combination between lack of organization and a bad costumer services .
we arrived there after we book a month advanced and we got to be put in the Z room , which was quite frustrating to go all the way up in a continuous maze with our luggage . After we asked to change a room we realized were last prioritized due to the fact that we book advanced and if we would just appear we could debate on the room .
On top of all the above , when we arrived the whole hotel was under construction and the whole building smelled like paint . It should have been on the website when we book in advanced but it didnt .
Everytime you approach to the stuff you're getting a weird answers if you are lucky to get one .

The last night was after a gap we had ( we've been to a festival ) and we were hoping to get another room . We did , and it smelled like sewage . 24 hours . the shower was stuck and it was just disgusting .

Hope u enjoyed it . we didnt ! especially after crossing such a long distance from home

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
DictionaryHostel, Manager at The Dictionary Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

We can only apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are working furiously to finish up the final touches to get our renovations done and we are sorry that this impacted your stay! We know sometimes that words are not enough, but we want you to know that we take our guest comments seriously and do everything in our power to fix the problem.

There are newer reviews for The Dictionary Hostel

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I went on a London trip for a week and found myself lost in Shoreditch to find The Dictionary. Did I mind being lost in Shoreditch? Not at all. The neighborhood is what you can expect from a city like London - alive and bubbling with energy. It took some GPS'ing, but finally I found The Dictionary hidden behind scaffolds. Checking in was easy, there's a five pound cash disposit for your keycard and the staff's explanation about breakfast, WiFi and all other information was most helpful. I had a 16 mixed bedroom with two showers and toilets. The bunks were crammed in a room (but there was enough space to move around) and the cages underneath the bottom bunk were the best as you only needed one lock to lock up all your belongings. I dared to leave out little things on the bed, like a book and flashlight, and I found them back every day.
The mattrass was a bit on the hard side, but I've had worse, and the hostel is mostly still brand new (so mattrass softening jumping game anyone?). Pillow and blanket were IKEA-great.
One of the bathrooms had a broken lock, so we worked with a clothing hanger to show it was occupied. The showers and toilets itselves were great - good water pressure and hot water. As far as I noticed they were cleaned every of every other day. The room was located next to a club, so you could hear the bass drop during the night (that's what earplugs are for!).
The free WiFi only worked in the reception area and if you wanted better and everywhere WiFi you could get it for a pound a day.
Breakfast was lovely - bagels, muffins, fruit, standard cereal. And it was very nice getting to know your fellow hostel-goers in the basement-set kitchen.
You could keep the key with you at all times, the reception was always open and the staff was happy and helpful.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope to go to it again next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
DictionaryHostel, Manager at The Dictionary Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We love to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you next year :)

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I booked for 2 nights in 6th August. The hostel is under renovation, so there is a lot of dust in the rooms. The attendants at the reception are very friendly. After the reforms it is very worthwhile.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
DictionaryHostel, Manager at The Dictionary Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you so much! Our staff work hard and we love to hear that :)! We are almost there and can’t wait for you to come back and see the Dictionary in full form!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

A welcome was not on its best as well as the rooms (a bit cramped). The facilities weren't all in function and the situation didn't change after consulting the staff. Our room was next to a busy road which we didn't mind since we are good sleepers but for some it can be a problem. The breakfast was good and the location very good!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Shoreditch is amazing! :) We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the local area and complimentary breakfast. We do want to apologize for any inconvenience that you had during your stay, we always try to do everything we can to ensure our guests have a positive experience with us and have a great time in London!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My friend and I booked 2 nights at The Dictionary. We had one booking between the 2 of us for 2 beds within a 4 bed dorm... however, when we got there we were told that we had been put in separate rooms which, obviously, isn't what we wanted. We hadn't had any prior warning about this before we got there even though they had our phone/ e-mail details. The girl on reception looked completely clueless and spoke/mumbled so softly that I could hardly hear a word she said which only made the situation more infuriating.

Needless to say after one night in the smallest bed known to man, we decided to book into another hotel. I asked The Dictionary for a one night refund which they agreed to and said that I would see the money in my account within 3 to 6 days... needless to say that it is now nearly a month later and I have only just got my money back after numerous e-mails and phone calls.

I'm not an unrealistic person, I don't expect 5 star service/facilities from a hostel, but there are some basics that I do expect like actually getting what I booked and paid for.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Apologies for the issues you had with your stay! Although we do our best to accommodate groups together, the odd time this is just not possible and we do our best to let guests know ahead of time if we can. We are sorry that this did not happen in your case and that it took so long to receive your refund. An honest mistake was made and we apologize profusely for the inconvenience that is caused you. We hope that you still enjoyed your time in London.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at the dictionary for 1 night and it was the worst nights sleep I've had in a while. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm. The bed was very uncomfortable and the room and bathroom was not very clean. I think my lack of sleep was contributed to by the other people in the room, which is not the fault of the hostel, but everyone was loud and drunk and kept turning the lights on and off all night. The bar downstairs was cool and the bar staff were lovely, but the loud music made it difficult to sleep. Breakfast was decent. Staff were nice. So it could have been worse but I would not recommend and I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Harriet M

We are very sorry to hear that you had some issues with your stay! Sometimes being in shared accommodation can be tough as you never know who your roommates will be. We hope that this was just a one-off and that it hasn’t turned you off all the positive experiences that staying in hostels can bring! :)

If you decide to do it again, please make sure you let reception know if you have any issues with your room or roommates. We are here 24/7 to help and make things right for you!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Arrived on Saturday at 5pm in July 2013. Asked to wait (20 mins) before being able to check in, I remembered this was a feature of the tripadvisor reviews. The (friendly) girls said we could get our ID ready whilst we waited. I booked it and so had mine, my partner had forgot his - and only had his bank card.

We were turned away and had nowhere to stay. Leaving us completely high and dry. The girls did ring the boss to see if there was anything that could be done. NOPE.

Having stayed in tonnes of hostels in Britain and Europe I am completely flummoxed as to why it was necessary - I was told it was to do with fire regulations. If this is the case why don't other hostels require it? and why isnt it given the stress it deserves in e-mails? I was told it was on the website, but having booked through a hostel site I hadn't visited the site.

On re-reading the e-mail the line about needing ID was not in the main body of the e-mail, it was well below the signature line, and not highlighted to make this essential criteria clear (how about using bold, or capitals, or neon colours...?!)

Completely unimpressed by these Shoreditch beaurocrats (not the girls, the boss). If you were travelling around the world you'ld have some photo ID with you, as Brits we didn't.

Another thing I noticed on re-reading the e-mail is that this hostel is for the 18-35 market. I know your trying real hard to be a hipster hostel and everything but may I direct you to the 2010 Equality Act...

Remember kids: TAKE YOUR ID!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amy E

We are very sorry that you felt that you were left stranded! It is never our intention to turn guests away or to leave them without a place to stay. Providing valid identification at check-in is now a common practice in many London hostels. Being a provider of shared accommodation, we feel that it would be negligent of us to not ask for identification for several reasons. In the event of an emergency or serious incident, being able to provide the authorities with an accurate guest record is extremely important for the safety of all of our guests and staff. If we were to allow a minor to stay without our knowledge, it would be irresponsible of us as a licensed premise with shared dorms, to not ensure that we have made the proper provisions for those who may or may not be traveling with their legal guardian. By not taking these precautions we feel we would not be acting as a responsible business.

As we can understand that not all Brits may be traveling with their passports, we do accept UK driver’s licenses and even copies in the case that someone has forgotten their identification at home or it has been lost. We do our best to provide solutions as reasonably as possible.

In regards to our age policy, we use the ages of 18-35 as a guideline and ask that if you fall out of this age range that you contact the hostel directly in order to get more information. This does not mean that you are not able to stay with us. We take this opportunity to ensure that there is a suitable booking for any minors and for guests that fall over the age group, we just want everyone to know what they are getting themselves into :) That being said, if they are happy, we are happy and they are more than welcome to stay with us!

Again, we are sorry that you felt this way and hope that you can understand the reasoning behind it.