“Rip off”

The Dictionary Hostel
Ranked #30 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Was here in low season and paying quite a bit for not a lot. The main thing that bugged me was most of the staff are quite unfriendly and I felt it was quite a cliquey environment. The rooms are hard to use, there's only one or two power points in an eight people room and the shower cubicles are tiny. Wouldn't recommend this place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fointan

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in the Dictionary with friends at the start of February, we travel to London every year so we've stayed in a lot of London hostels, a couple of us had stayed in the dictionary before and had a great time. This time tho.......not so much. We arrived at different times and our group was split up which was a bit annoying because there was enough room in one of the rooms for us all. Then one of our friends was left with no bed the first night because the room she was put in was over booked so she had to move, ( it was late in the evening and a bit frustrating and it was kinda funny because the same thing happened to me on my first stay at the dictionary) anyway we moved on from that fairly fast. Then came tippy, a really really loud mouse who sounds a lot bigger then he actually is, he was so loud that he kept me and my friend up all night ( my friend & I had to share the top bunk because she could hear the mouse running around under her bed and wasn't willing to share it with him). So it was half 4 in the morning, & we had been driven demented by tippy since 12. We headed down to the reception to be greeted by an american lady at reception( she could have been Canadian) we explained the situation and told her how terrified we were because my friend had a genuine fear of mice. She really did not care she replied " it's f***ing east London, what do you expect" I replied well not mice in my room, she rolled her eyes and said there is nothing she can do. I asked to sleep somewhere else she said there was no where else but we knew there was cause our friends had 7 free beds in their room and no mice.initially i asked her to put down mouse traps but she said there were none and when we refused to leave the reception she managed to find one fairly fast. A few others around the reception were trying to make the situation better but really were just making it worse one guy said "at least you don't have bed bugs cause their in the staff quarters" and the same guy also said that "we're lucky there's only one mouse its usually crawling with them" all very comforting words. We left the reception quiet upset and just shared beds with our friends in another room. The next day my friend who has the fear of mice moved, but the rest of us had just too much going on so we stayed with tippy I stayed 6 nights in total 2 of which i had to share a bunk which is inconvenient cause they're not the biggest beds but I think enough people complained that they did a big clean out of our room on the third day, and tippy was a lot quieter at night. I really didn't get any satisfaction for the inconvenience an apology would have been nice but because of the laid back atmosphere in the hostel I don't think customer service is their number one priority. That said my experience in the bar attached to the dictionary was great, staff were amazing food was great value and quiet nice. My overall experience was not great I felt quiet awkward around reception because i know the staff discussed the situation but no one of authority approached us regarding the situation. 3 days in i was just counting the days til we were home, usually its the other way around. I hope the dictionary would number their beds so you know which beds are yours and maybe do a refresher course on customer service.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room U stay in room T
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Leo R
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Hello my name is Tippy, and I’m a small brown mouse that lives in the dictionary hostel in Shoreditch.

Last week I was a very bad mouse, I kept loads of people in my room up all night. I tried to make friends as there was some new comers there that were staying the week, but they didn’t want to be friends and just moved further away and all doubled up on the top bunks. I have loads of other mouse friends but they just come into my room looking for food and then leave.
One night when I was crawling around the halls looking for someone to play with I overheard two girls really upset about me being in their room  they wanted another room but the brown haired narky American girl said that there was no available rooms. But I being Tippy mouse knew that there was loads of free beds.
I try to be a really clean mouse for the cleaner- he needs all the help he can get!
If you’re a cool and free mouse looking for a place to stay here is perfect, the workers love having mice around for company, and rarely put traps down! One room available so get booking!

Kind regards
Tippy  x

Room Tip: If you don't like mice don't stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Hugh F
DictionaryHostel, Manager at The Dictionary Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Tippy,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate the feedback, good or bad, as it helps us to improve on what we can do better.

I understand that this wet weather and lack of shelter can cause a city mouse much despair, but we do our best to make it as uninviting for your kind as possible! The cleaning team work hard every day to keep the rooms clean, and we a have a strict no food policy in the rooms that we enforce to stop attracting the wrong type of guest. As not everyone wants to follow the rules, we spend time every day going through each room and removing any food items.

In regards to the conversations you overheard with those guests, we can only wish to apologize to them! We would never want to give the impression that we didn’t care. That is definitely not who we are here at The Dictionary and we can assure you that we take this very seriously. We do hope that they somehow see this response and accept our apologies.

I suggest that if you do come back Tippy, you try one of our black box suites that you will find strategically placed against the walls. I hear they have an all-day buffet that will put you right into a ‘food’ induced coma!

Kind Regards,

The Team at The Dictionary
RIP Tippy the mouse, 2014- 2014.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

At the beginning I really liked this place: cool design, nice room, big kitchenette, nice and friendly staff. But then, in the evening we've discovered mouse in out room! It ate crackers from my bag (obviously had to throw that away). And in general it was absolutely disgusting. Couldn't really sleep for the whole night listening to its noises.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tuerush
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The best part about this hostel is the location. Situated in the Shoreditch neighborhood, the hostel is surrounded by trendy bars, restaurants and shopping. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know of many other hostels in the East End of London. As a hostel the Dictionary offers clean rooms and bathrooms. Service was ok, but the staff can sometimes be a little bit off-putting and inattentive. Overall I would recommend this property for the great location and general cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed at The Dictionary in Shoreditch recently with my partner. We chose it because of the location, which obviously did not let us down, but we were disappointed with everything else. A double room costs up to £130, for which money you could get a MUCH better hotel in London.

For your money here you get a cold shower, no towels in the room and a limited buffet breakfast of bagel or cereal. Not both. I can understand that hostel guests staying in dorms may not get a free towel provided, but surely if you pay out for a private, ensuite room at more than £100 you can be trusted to look after a towel? I also always hate it when you have to pay a deposit to hire the key for your room. Again, if spending this amount of money can you not be trusted to return a key card?

If looking for a private, ensuite room in London for £100 or less I would advise to go for a chain hotel, don't take a chance on The Dictionary.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. First in a room with 8 of us which wasn't too bad, however we were on the main road and it's very, very, very noisy!!
Location wise great as we went along to Barrio East on our first night which was only 5-10 mins walk away. (very yummy food, and cocktails were lovely too!)
On the 2nd night as more of our friends were arriving, we were booked into a 16 person room. This room was bigger, and seemed reasonably clean. However, there was a large bin in the room which smelled awful and we had to move it outside due to how strong smell was.
The shower was no bigger than a cupboard and had nothing to hang clothes on inside (the other room had a hook), so clothes were either left on the floor soaking, or you had to balance on the door handle.
Both these rooms came ensuite, however the toilet in the 16-person room had no sink in it, so a bit unhygenic!!
Outside our room was a communal area. We sat there as it was cooler. This was still under a roof which was fine, however another resident came along and sat and smoked there. All of us were non smokers so we really didn't appreciate this smoking "indoors". He eventually left but we did raise it with hostel staff who were not clear whether this was or wasn't an indoor/outdoor area and therefore the whole smoking issue was a bit cloudy.

Room Tip: Always ask for an ensuite. The shared toilets are a bit grim!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends