“Lack of basics”

The Dictionary Hostel
Ranked #33 of 956 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Apart from a very nice location, rounded by restaurants and bars, and a very lovely staff, I would say this hostel has a poor return from what you pay for. No hot water in the morning for me is something without any excuse. They put a sign to avoid the "peak" times to get hot water, but I should be able to pick the time I want to take a bath.... It's a hostel, deal with it! Also, they charge for anything... towels(5£) and internet (1£ per day) are basic stuff! Very poor breakfast as well, and they make you do the dishes afterwards. If it was a crazy cheap hostel, ok... but it's not the case.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carolina C
DictionaryHostel, Manager at The Dictionary Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us! We apologize for the issues with the water. As the issue is more with the city than the actual hostel, we put up those signs as a way to communicate with our guests that we know that sometimes issues arise and we are trying to fix it instead of avoid it. We hope that you still enjoyed your stay in London! :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Very clean. Friendly & very helpful staff. Really enjoyed my stay there but I was especialy well looked after. You see I didn't ring in advance to let them know I was 64- but on arrival, no problem,and they popped me into a four bedroom dorm at the top of the house- rather than the 16 bed one . I was visiting Shoreditch for the first time- lots going on.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard A
DictionaryHostel, Manager at The Dictionary Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

We couldn't be happier to hear that! It's all about being young at heart! :) So glad that you enjoyed your time with us and in Shoreditch.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed in The Dictionary with my boyfriend for three nights and having read the reviews here I expected something horrible, but it was actually really great! The location is obviously fabulous, the rooms small but clean and cosy, clean and simple bathrooms, people young and nice, staff very helpful, plus the breakfast was just great - don't expect Hilton-like abundance, but for a young backpacker and a vegan it was just perfect. All in all, I can recommend this place! Already starting to save money for a trip to amazing (east) London and definitely planning to stay in this hostel again :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Awesome review, thank you very much! :) We are so glad that you had such a great experience staying with us and took the time to review. We really do appreciate it!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed in the Dictionary with my gf for three nights in the 12 shared room and it was really great. Definitely one of the best hostels we ever stayed in. If you take the bus to Liverpool station, it is a short walk there and you can take bus to straight Oxford st on a bus stop that is even closer. Very friendly and helpful crew, even recommended a great tour. The room was kinda cramped with 6 bunk beds, but very clean. The people that stayed in our room were very considarate when going to bed. There was some noise from the street on party days (Fr,Sa). Breakfast simple, but with peanut butter and jelly sendwiches, all we really needed. Great kitchen with modern appliences, you can cook a complete meal and save some money.

Room Tip: The 12 shared room have a separate bathroom which is great, especially since it was never fully occu...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the lovely review! It's reviews like yours that keep us breathing while reading our Tripadvisor reviews :) We hope to see you guys next time you are in London!

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Was here in low season and paying quite a bit for not a lot. The main thing that bugged me was most of the staff are quite unfriendly and I felt it was quite a cliquey environment. The rooms are hard to use, there's only one or two power points in an eight people room and the shower cubicles are tiny. Wouldn't recommend this place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fointan
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in the Dictionary with friends at the start of February, we travel to London every year so we've stayed in a lot of London hostels, a couple of us had stayed in the dictionary before and had a great time. This time tho.......not so much. We arrived at different times and our group was split up which was a bit annoying because there was enough room in one of the rooms for us all. Then one of our friends was left with no bed the first night because the room she was put in was over booked so she had to move, ( it was late in the evening and a bit frustrating and it was kinda funny because the same thing happened to me on my first stay at the dictionary) anyway we moved on from that fairly fast. Then came tippy, a really really loud mouse who sounds a lot bigger then he actually is, he was so loud that he kept me and my friend up all night ( my friend & I had to share the top bunk because she could hear the mouse running around under her bed and wasn't willing to share it with him). So it was half 4 in the morning, & we had been driven demented by tippy since 12. We headed down to the reception to be greeted by an american lady at reception( she could have been Canadian) we explained the situation and told her how terrified we were because my friend had a genuine fear of mice. She really did not care she replied " it's f***ing east London, what do you expect" I replied well not mice in my room, she rolled her eyes and said there is nothing she can do. I asked to sleep somewhere else she said there was no where else but we knew there was cause our friends had 7 free beds in their room and no mice.initially i asked her to put down mouse traps but she said there were none and when we refused to leave the reception she managed to find one fairly fast. A few others around the reception were trying to make the situation better but really were just making it worse one guy said "at least you don't have bed bugs cause their in the staff quarters" and the same guy also said that "we're lucky there's only one mouse its usually crawling with them" all very comforting words. We left the reception quiet upset and just shared beds with our friends in another room. The next day my friend who has the fear of mice moved, but the rest of us had just too much going on so we stayed with tippy I stayed 6 nights in total 2 of which i had to share a bunk which is inconvenient cause they're not the biggest beds but I think enough people complained that they did a big clean out of our room on the third day, and tippy was a lot quieter at night. I really didn't get any satisfaction for the inconvenience an apology would have been nice but because of the laid back atmosphere in the hostel I don't think customer service is their number one priority. That said my experience in the bar attached to the dictionary was great, staff were amazing food was great value and quiet nice. My overall experience was not great I felt quiet awkward around reception because i know the staff discussed the situation but no one of authority approached us regarding the situation. 3 days in i was just counting the days til we were home, usually its the other way around. I hope the dictionary would number their beds so you know which beds are yours and maybe do a refresher course on customer service.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room U stay in room T
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends